Not Engaged Yet
Options

Self Sabotage!!

It's like I'm afraid of getting to my goal weight! Or I'm just getting comfortable in my own skin for the first time in my life. I'm not sure if it's good or not, but I am stuck losing and gaining the same 10 pounds over and over again. I lose the weight and then get comfortable and slack off and gain it back...then start the process over. Grr.

I'm soooo close to my goal too. I only have 15-20 pounds away (it's close when you compare it to the 110-115 I've lost so far, lol). I feel like I'm learning more and more about what triggers my downward spirals though, so that's good. I just need to act on it and change my behavior.

So how is everyone else doing? Anyone have fun weekend plans? I have a secret date, planned by BF, and I have no idea what we're doing but I can tell he's really excited about it. He won't tell me what we're doing other than going for a walk. It's the first date he has ever planned all by himself without letting me know anything, so he keeps telling me he's not going to let me down, lol. Other than that, I'll probably be working this weekend.

Oh, and I get my new work computer today too! If it ever gets here. The shipping info says "by the end of the day". Does it ever come in the morning? I've never had a morning delivery, but someone somewhere has to right? lol. It's like waiting all day for the cable guy. They always come last minute.
-Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Self Sabotage!!

• Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish I had a suggestion for you, but I do the same thing. If you figure it out let me know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I reward myself with a pair of shoes when I reach another milestone (instead of a piece of cake like I used to).

I'm a big rewards system person.
    Also we just started the biggest loser at work! See if people in your office want to do it! It's really motivating, especially since everyone is going to see how much I weigh every week....still torn about that part. The winner gets cash!

I'm getting my butt to the gym tonight so I'll be there with you in spirit if you decide to go too :). Keep it up I'm super impressed and motivated by what you've already lost!
    Rampaging bears are the answer to all of our cultural missteps
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Believe my Ely, I'm right there with you... I lost 20 lbs last January and I have been up and down with 10-15 of it since. :( I too am pretty ok with my body, but I want better than ok.  I am just trying to stay focused and know I really want the end results.

I read this the other day... It takes 6 weeks for you to notice a real difference in you body, 8 weeks for those close to you and 12 weeks for everyone else. I am trying to stick this out for 12 weeks. By then it will hopefully just be habit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think the rewards system is a great idea since it gives you something to look forward to other than the weight loss itself.  That way, even if you get 'comfortable' with your weight, you still have a higher goal to reach.

Your date sounds fun too, I don't think FI has ever planned something like that.  Tonight is FI's bachelor party, so I'm on DD duty (just dropping him off and picking him up, not carting them around town all night or anything).  Then tomorrow night we are going to a concert and then Sunday FI has a company BBQ, so it should be fun.  It's actually kind of nice to not have any wedding tasks to do this weekend, even though we are only 2 weeks out.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Widget: I'd love to do something like that, but I work from home so I am lacking coworkers, lol. I have tried to do something similar with my cousin, but it's not very structured. So it doesn't help much. I'm also having a hard time rewarding myself by buying myself something. I don't like to spend money unless it is on other people. Maybe that's something else I need to work on, lol.

CCO: I like the 12 week thing. I always do better with goals when I have an end in sight. So I'll try that.

Jemmini: I have done the DD thing before, but it was just with friends a few times (I'm not much into clubbing), and it really wasn't all that much fun. Drunk people aren't nearly as funny as when you're drunk with them, lol. One time, I went to pick up my drunk friend and then had to walk back (it was about 2 miles away) after I dropped her off for her car, so she wouldn't get towed, and ended up getting picked up by a cop for walking around alone at 3 AM, lol. Luckily he was nice and gave me a ride.
    -Ely

• Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Luckily I'm only DD'ing for FI, not everyone else.  We live on the southeast side of town and most everyone else lives on the northeast side, so they are meeting in the middle and the best man's wife is DD'ing for them.  FI doesn't get drunk often, but when he does, it's pretty funny.  We went to a party at his friend's house once and the whole way home he kept saying "OMG, I'm so glad you are driving, because I soooo can't drive right now".

But I've had my fair share of DD'ing for very unfunny drunk friends seeing as how I was the only one with a car our first 2 years of college.  I'm not a fan...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ely, I read something that said that if you're constantly yo-yoing then you're probably at a good weight for your body.  I was hoping to drop another 5 lbs, but I think I'm stuck where I am.  You just have to be comfortable.  And if you're comfortable and exercising and doing what you need to do to be healthy, your weight and your body will work themselves out.

That's a blog written by a woman who lost 135lbs.  She's inspirational, much in the same ways you're inspirational to me.  I recommend you check out the background stuff she's written.  It's amazing.  And I think it might help you.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Congrats, Ely... you are officially yoyoing. Almost everzyone goes back and forth with those last few pounds. Its really just called life. So now just make the right healthz decisions for zou, and donät worrz too much about the number on the scale. focus on how zou feel on a dazßtoßdaz basis.

PS This german keyboard is a PITA. Its 2am here, i need to go to sleep but finallz get to comment so wanted to saz hello and let zou know that zou are continuing to kick a§§
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Ely, you're talking to the queen of self-sabotage here. If I'm completely honest, I do it in most aspects of my life. I guess I'm afraid of success, but I've never been able to pinpoint why. However, in your situation it doesn't really sound like self-sabotage, but likely what the other ladies mentioned. Maybe your body is just happy where it is for now, and you should try maintaining for a while and keep up your healthy habits.

Make sure you tell us what your surprise date is!

ETA: I still don't have the hang of taking my lunches to school, but I've had a few breaks this week where I was able to run and buy food quickly so at least I'm not going the whole day without eating. I've also started doing aqua zumba, and I love it. I really enjoy zumba on land, but I was starting to find (maybe from bad shoes, or due to my weight) that my knees, ankles, and heels were getting sore. My friend is teaching it at the aquatic centre at school, so that helps motivate me to go when I'm not feeling like it - she texts me before each class to make sure I'm on my way to the pool!

Tiger - I <3 your German keyboard, your post made me smile (unintentionally, obviously) and I needed that. :)

ETA2: Thanks for sharing that site Peek, I've been looking through it and it's great!
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Peek: Thanks! I'll check that out. I've heard that too, but I'd like to still lose the "vanity pounds" if possible. But it wouldn't be horrible if I just maintained where I'm at right now either.

Tiger: Haha, thanks! I love the keyboard typos, lol.

Liv: Thank you! You are so, so gorgeous too btw! : ) I wrote about my date in a recent post! : )

Sop: I'm glad to hear you're finding a solution and I've never heard of aqua zumba. That sounds like fun!

I'm ok with where I'm at now and I know that I could lose more weight, but I give in to my cravings much too easily and have developed a "once I start, I'm not gonna stop" attitude. I think if I can get over that, I can get to my goal weight. But I'll remember what you all said about my body finding it's healthy weight range too.

BTW, I'm slightly drunk right now, so forgive any typos or unclear sentences, lol.
    -Ely

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards