Not Engaged Yet
Options

Open Relationships

2»

Re: Open Relationships

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_open-relationships?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:259a2565-6298-4194-b530-c2d50a953740Post:e0681b5c-ee3e-4c36-905f-913bbbeba126">Re: Open Relationships</a>:
    [QUOTE]For me personally it is not something I could ever do. I don't share well and I would be devastated if DH brought up trying this. It'd make me insecure and exacerbate my own body image issues. As far as cheating I would say that if both people in the relationship are fully aware of what is going on and have come to an agreement with what they are comfortable with then that is not cheating. <strong>However if one party wants an open relationship and the other doesn't and then that one person goes and does it anyway then I would consider that cheating because there is no agreement there</strong>. I can't separate sex and emotion like some people can - it's a very intimate thing for me so when I have entered into a sexual relationship there is some underlying emotion connected with the sexual act. So in short I have no problem with people that have them since it works for them but it's not something I can or would do.
    Posted by sapphirebaby926[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I actually just wrote a research paper on polyamory (which is a little different, in that they usually consist of multiple committed relationships instead of just sex) and that was something I touched on. Research seems to show that open relationships and polyamory work well for a couple, but only if the two parties are fully consenting. Sometimes, one partner will bring polyamory into the relationship and the other partner would agree, but not completely, in hopes to win the affection of the other or in order to mask other problems. Soon enough though those problems will resurface and it won't be a reciprocal exchange anymore.
    </div><div>
    </div><div>*That has nothing much to do with the topic of conversation, what sapphire said just reminded me of it.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do not know any couples that are in an open relationship. I understand that this may work for some couples but it would not work for us. FI and I are both kinda jealous people so this would not be something that would fly with either of us. We prefer it just being the two of us and knowing that there is no one else in any shape or form.

I do not think it is cheating those in this type pf relationship though. If both parties agree with this type pf relationship and are aware what is going on then it is not cheating.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am with Tafft. Is it proven that humans are not naturally monogamous creatures? A lot of birds are. I have never had feelings or experiences where I wanted to be less than monogamous, at least not in this relationship.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm really bad at sharing so I couldn't do an open relationship.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I do not believe that it can be considered "cheating" if both parties are knowing and willing to be in an open relationship.

I myself could not do it. I can get very jealous, mainly because BF is such a flirt anyways, if I knew he was doing anything more then talking to other girls, I would not be able to handle it. (FWIW I am completely fine with BF being a flirt. I have come to realize over time that it's a part of his personality and something that I actually love about him.)
    friends tv show funy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards