Not Engaged Yet
Options

Ok, am I crazy or does this bother anyone else (Pinterest link)

I'm usually not bothered by things like this but this one really gets to me somehow . . . . http://pinterest.com/pin/55270653/

The comments I made back were the 6th ones down, from me, Mary.  I don't know, I just really don't believe that you need to "make a house a home" or raise children in order to make a really important contribution to society.  And it rather, well, pisses me off that the quote completely disregards the service that some women (and men!) do for our country!  
Granted, I LOVE making our house a home and I really hope BF and I make some healthy, beautiful, successful little people after we get married but I don't think those things are necessary to contribute to society.

So, am I alone in this, just being sensitive, or BSC?  

Re: Ok, am I crazy or does this bother anyone else (Pinterest link)

• Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    No, i am sure others share your viewpoint, but I think you might be a bit sensitive. People are passionate about what they believe and that topic is a never ending debate. Views differ and (mostly) everyone have no problem sharing theirs, but sometimes there is no point. I don't know why that was posted, but it looks like it was just a quote that someone reposted. I don't know what the website you posted is, or what it's for, but whatevs.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, I don't think you are alone in this. Possiblly more sensitive to it because your job was targeted. However, I think anyone who works outside their home can relate to your point of view, even more so if they feel like they are struggling to meet society's expectations.
  • Options
    marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the sentiment about making a house a home is a nice one, but I think it's insulting to say doing so makes a "far greater contribution to society" than a career. IMO, this is a sexist quote, plain and simple.

The poster gives the caveat that this quote was given on motherhood; okay, that makes it a little more understandable, but unless Gordon B. Hinckley would have been willing to say the same thing about fatherhood, sorry, but it's still sexist.

I noticed the "LDS" below the quote. Latter Day Saints. I googled Gordon B. Hinckley because the name sounded familiar. He was president of the LDS church from 1995 to his death in 2008. So that's the context.
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You won't be alone in this at all, but as Marley pointed out it's an LDS quote, probably posted by an LDS woman. They put a very different emphasis on family roles than how society as a whole typically views it, as part of their religious beliefs.
  • Options
    KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think your over reacting.  I also don't think that the fact it comes from an LDS source changes my opinion of the quote at all.  The argument of who contributes more is a strange one, do some people contribute more by making a house a home and raising kids then they would in the work place, sure, but others do the reverse.  People should do what they are good at and passionate about and that is how we contribute the most we can to society.  The fact that the LDS church doesn't believe this and thinks women should stay home (mostly, there are many LDS women who don't and its ok) doesn't make the statement any less wrong. 
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you may be being a tad oversensitive about this, but I tend to overreact to feminist issues, too, so *shrug*.

I don't have a problem with women choosing to be moms and housewives.  I do have a problem with the suggestion that all women should make that choice, so yeah, it's the "far greater" language that bothers me there.  Plus, the idea of gender roles just bugs me in general.  If "women" can make a greater contribution in the home, then what about men?
  • Options
    alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It bothers me. Anything that knocks the service our men and women do bothers me.
    The world needs mothers that raise children and make "a house a home" just as much as the world needs woman who "command armies" or are the CEOs of "impressive corporations". Neither decesion should be looked down on. Like marley, it's the "far greater" part of the quote that really irked me.
    White Knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies for all your comments and letting me know that I'm not wrong in thinking that quote was "off."  I realize I was being a bit sensitive about it but am just glad I wasn't going crazy thinking it was so overtly sexist!!
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Um, yeah, the sexism in that quote really bothers me. Why is it "women's work" to make the house a home? BS. 

Also, as Liv said, it's not okay to bash other people's choices. If someone gets the most out of her life by working in the home, great. If someone else feels more rewarded by working outside of the home as well, that's great too.

Different strokes for different folks.

Why is that such a difficult concept for so many people?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What bothers me is that they're saying it's "better" to make a home rather than do those other things, as if it's impossible to make a home AND do those things! Like PP's have said, it's not that one is better than the other - we all need to work together, each doing his/her part. I would take out part of it and just say something like "Women (or people) who make a house a home contribute more to society than those who tear them apart."
    Weight Loss Center - Your Online Weight Loss Support Group
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards