Not Engaged Yet
Options

Peek/Still

How did you discover you had Celiac's? I've heard symptoms can be quite different between people, and seem completely unrelated to the digestive system.
Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos

Re: Peek/Still

• Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was actually pretty crazy.  My maternal grandmother was diagnosed first, and after I got back from Germany, I started having a lot of problems.  I gained a lot of weight and developed a pretty severe rash on my legs.  After a lot of time spent at the dermatologist's office being told it was exczema (dude, that doesn't randomly show up at 18!!), and a lot more time driving home from the derm's office in tears, my grandma got an article in her support e-zine or whateverthehell it was.  Turns out untreated celiac prevents you from taking on the hep b antibodies.

Backstory:  Before I left for Germany my primary care doctor did a full workup to make sure everything was good.  I was missing Hep B, so I got a booster and we retested after a few weeks to make sure it had taken.  It didn't.  Her response was "Oh well, go have fun!"

After finding all of that out, I went to a gastroenterologist who did the endoscopy and the bloodwork and officially diagnosed me.  I've been mostly healthy ever since. Autoimmune is funny though...so if I get too exhausted and then dosed, chances are good I'm going to get whatever bug happens to be floating around at the time.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Oh, that's weird about the Hep B antibodies, I never knew that. I used to work with kids with Down Syndrome, and Celiac's is pretty common in people with DS. My boss at that place (and all 3 of her daughters) also has Celiac's, and I've always been kinda curious about it and the diagnosis process. I'm weird like that, haha.
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I just looked up some info on Celiac's because Peek & Still mentioned it in my "going to rip off my skin" thread.  Itchiness aside, I have a lot of those symptoms.  I know that doesn't mean I have Celiac's but it definitely just made me decide to call my doctor today.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards