Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony after the reception??

Hi, my fiance just came up with an interesting idea, and I was wondering what you all thought of it.  He thinks it would be fun to have the dinner and reception first and to end the evening with the actual ceremony.  At first I wasn't so sure, but we plan to have an outdoor wedding with only around 40-50 guests, and I'd love a folksy, rustic feel.  I'm starting to think a big feast with some dancing would be a good lead up to everyone following us over to the ceremony site where we tie the knot in a short ceremony.  Then everyone could wish us on our way and so the ceremony would be like a big climax!  Does this sound too unconventional??

Re: Ceremony after the reception??

• Options
    I think it sounds great. What you should keep in mind is how long are you expecting to keep your guests wrangled at the reception to see the wedding?  If you got married 2 or 3 hours into things, that should work ok.  If you are thinking 4 or 5 hours into things, you may have some upset guests.  Most people consider the ceremony the most important part of the whole shindig and want to see that.  Plan accordingly and I'd let people know what the plan is so they too can plan accordingly.

Sounds like fun to me.
  • Options
    Ditto PP.  My concern would be people leaving.  I would think it would be better to do dinner, and then maybe do your vows right after the meal or even during it.  Otherwise, people are going to be tired or leaving by the time you get there.  I mean, wouldnt you hate for someone to miss the ceremony because she has to work early or because her babysitter has to leave at 9?  
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    Ditto PPs about doing it after dinner rather than at the very end.

On an episode of 4 weddings the girl had a breakfast reception (I think it started at 7 AM) where they did cake-cutting and speeches congratulating the couple, and THEN did the ceremony outside.  It was weird to have speeches and congratulations when they weren't married yet, it would be nice to leave some time after the ceremony to talk to people or have thank yous/toasts.
  • Options
    These are all great points!  Thanks for the input.  The last thing I would want is for everyone to leave before we get to the good part!  I also agree that the speeches and such at the reception would make more sense after the ceremony...
  • Options
    I agree with the other posters, here.  There's nothing to celebrate until the marriage happens. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards