Not Engaged Yet
Options

monthly visitor question

This has been happening for the last 4 months...

I find that right before it's suppose to start I end up having a complete meltdown about something. I find myself feeling super guilty for involving FI in my blame/guilt fest. The next day I have strong urges to blow my diet on peanut butter M&Ms. Is this normal? Am I ever going to grow out of this? Does being on BC make it worse? Or can I expect to be even more of a monster when I come off of it.

- Feeling extremely hormonal
www.nurseyk.weebly.com

Re: monthly visitor question

• Options
    Every week before my period, I am majorly hormonal. I want to eat tons of crap, mainly sugary goodness. And I am easily annoyed and irritated, and emotional. It's awesome. I figure it's just part of life. My birth control works well for everything else, so I just deal with this. I think it's relatively normal, most of my friends talk about being the same way! Don't you love being a woman?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I used to get like that.  What BC are you on?

I was on Avian when it started happening.  They switched me over to Yaz and gave me extra estrogen to start.  I've been fine ever since.  And now I'm on NuvaRing.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm not on BC, but I experience similar things.

In the day or two right before it starts, I'm hyper-emotional.  The littlest things, like being cut off in traffic or something, make me cry.  Thankfully, I'm familiar enough with this experience that I can remove myself from most situations or talk myself out of the breakdowns.

Then, the first day or so of Aunt Flo's visit, I crave chocolate and caffeine like a mother.  I think that's mostly due to the cramps, but yeah.
  • Options
    I was just telling someone that getting a period is a beautiful part of a woman's life.

F$%k that, I take it back.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monthly-visitor-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:37450472-de78-4a11-ae2c-c6042267f3c8Post:324d29bd-95b2-4cf2-9cdd-1c3343513db5">Re: monthly visitor question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just telling someone that getting a period is a beautiful part of a woman's life. F$%k that, I take it back.
    Posted by NurseyK[/QUOTE]

<div>Was she 13?</div>
    I french with my man
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monthly-visitor-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:37450472-de78-4a11-ae2c-c6042267f3c8Post:040cbc8e-2ed5-4ece-a810-ad01cdc42a97">Re: monthly visitor question</a>:
    [QUOTE]BC will usually eliminate PMS because you don't have hormonal fluctuations throughout the month (as long as you aren't having an adverse reaction to the hormones in the pill). If you are having PMS symptoms, then you may need to switch pills.  A period on the pill is not a real period at all.  (I get twitchy when people on the pill start talking about their PMS symptoms because they don't seem to understand how the pill actually works.)
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

<div>I never knew that. Crazy.</div><div>
    </div><div>I was on the pill for the last three years and just stopped taking it last month. I always got these horrible cravings for ice cream every single day. I also got super emotional and bitchy for absolutely no reason. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm coming up on my first period off BC, so I'm anxious to see what happens this month and over the coming months.</div>
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    When I went off the pill back in October, it was AWFUL. I posted here about it, because I thought I was going looney tunes. I have never EVER been so emotional in my life. It has tapered off, thank god, because I think BF would kill me if I kept going like that every month. I definitely get more PMSy now than I did when I was on the pill, but WAAYYY less than I was those first couple of months. Now, I mostly just get more frustrated & stressed, and can cry at the drop of a hat. But it's not debilitating like it was at first.

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    I have a bit more PMS on the pill than off the pill, but not quite as drastic as you :)  I'm usually just hard to please the day or so before annnnd I really crave cheese.

I have a feeling that when I'm pregnant, I'm going to eat mountains of cheese.  Either that or it will repulse me.  It will be a sad day.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    The only 'symptom' I get is that I'm irrationally irritated with stuff.  Generally though, I'm aware enough of it that I can keep myself from reacting to it, but it's still there.  No cravings though.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    meamollymeamolly member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monthly-visitor-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:37450472-de78-4a11-ae2c-c6042267f3c8Post:4b17acaa-44ed-42f7-bdc2-b3bfff46b8c6">Re: monthly visitor question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to get like that.  What BC are you on? I was on Avian when it started happening.  They switched me over to Yaz and gave me extra estrogen to start.  I've been fine ever since.  And now I'm on NuvaRing.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Peek, Have you asked your dr about the increased risk of blood clots while being on NuvaRing? I mean more than usual with a BC pill. BOTH Yaz and NuvaRing are notorious for this! I worry about anyone that takes or uses these because I am a walking (lucky) example of the blood clots.
  • Options
    I used to be on Seasonique and I LOVED it. A period every 3 months? I could handle that. Now my insurance no longer covers it, and it's a good $300. I had my doctor call me in something that would be covered, but it's almost as bad as not being on it at all. I bleed for about 5 days (BLEED bleed) then I have ucky brown "leftover" discharge for the next 2 days. It SUCKS.

Some of the girls on here were telling me about some BC where your period lasts only 3 days. Anyone that can give me the name of that again?

When I'm off the pill, my periods are so bad that there has been at least ONE instance where I was about 5 seconds from calling an ambulance. I ache SO bad. My stomach cramps, but even worse, my back hurts so bad that it upsets my stomach (i.e. diarrhea). (Well, I don't know if it's really my back pain that's causing it, but it feels like it). My body temperature would have me sweating in mid-December when everyone else is freezing to death. I used to always miss the first day of my period when I was in highschool (or end up checking out).
  • Options
    That Biitch Flo showed up here today.  Really?  Not only are you late, a week and a half (typical for me), but you decided to come during the absolute busiest week at work.  Mandatory OT when all I want to do is eat advil and chocolate!  I'm a little bitter, despite knowing this would happen.

Anyways, I get irritable and emotional in the days before my period comes.  I crave chocolate, which I usually do not.  My skin breaks out and I have hot flashes too.  Oh and my energy is low. 

When it starts (today) I have cramps, not killer (but I have a high pain tolerance apparently) was which cause diarrhea for the first day.  While my period is here I feel generally yucky, and am constantly freezing.  Luckily my period only lasts about 5 days total, about 3 of which are moderately heavy. 

I am not on BC at all, and will probably never go back on it after my past experiences.  I tried multiple things and while I had fewer monthly issues while on the BC when I got off it was months of insane emotional and physical symptoms non-stop and I literally felt like a crazy person.  I would much rather deal with the normal stuff that I have come to know and expect than that insanity ever again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monthly-visitor-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:37450472-de78-4a11-ae2c-c6042267f3c8Post:718e3897-1ac5-41ba-90aa-4f511f8376ee">Re: monthly visitor question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a bit more PMS on the pill than off the pill, but not quite as drastic as you :)  I'm usually just hard to please the day or so before annnnd I really crave cheese. I have a feeling that when I'm pregnant, I'm going to eat mountains of cheese.  Either that or it will repulse me.  It will be a sad day.
    Posted by Blue & White[/QUOTE]

Pregnancy is so weird, I craved grilled chicken and salads with ranch cheese the most.  The only sweet things that I ever craved were sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie!  Things that I normally crave like chocolate or Icecream were not even on my radar, at all. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monthly-visitor-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:37450472-de78-4a11-ae2c-c6042267f3c8Post:040cbc8e-2ed5-4ece-a810-ad01cdc42a97">Re: monthly visitor question</a>:
    [QUOTE]BC will usually eliminate PMS because you don't have hormonal fluctuations throughout the month (as long as you aren't having an adverse reaction to the hormones in the pill). If you are having PMS symptoms, then you may need to switch pills.  A period on the pill is not a real period at all.  (I get twitchy when people on the pill start talking about their PMS symptoms because they don't seem to understand how the pill actually works.) I was off the pill for about a year and the only symptoms I had before I got my period was a little bit of bloating.  I may have been more emotional, but I was super irregular, so it was hard to track things like that.  I never had PMS BBC (Before Birth Control), so when I went off, I was pretty much the same.  I did react poorly to Ortho TriCyclen (first pill I went on) and was taken off after 3 months because I did get depressed and threw up all the time.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I get PMS-like symptoms a few days after starting the no-pill days. (I skip my sugar pills). I'm on Yaz so on about day 3 or 4, right before I'm about to start my next pack I do find I'm a little more irritable than usual. And then the day my period starts, which is usually 1-3 days after I start my new pack, I get cramps, which is apparently my body expelling what it needs to. I used to get pretty bad cramps during the first few days of my period before.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monthly-visitor-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:37450472-de78-4a11-ae2c-c6042267f3c8Post:e8a23f9d-64d4-419a-93a6-56c8d20d6dee">Re: monthly visitor question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to be on Seasonique and I LOVED it. A period every 3 months? I could handle that. Now my insurance no longer covers it, and it's a good $300. I had my doctor call me in something that would be covered, but it's almost as bad as not being on it at all. I bleed for about 5 days (BLEED bleed) then I have ucky brown "leftover" discharge for the next 2 days. It SUCKS. Some of the girls on here were telling me about some BC where your period lasts only 3 days. Anyone that can give me the name of that again? When I'm off the pill, my periods are so bad that there has been at least ONE instance where I was about 5 seconds from calling an ambulance. I ache SO bad. My stomach cramps, but even worse, my back hurts so bad that it upsets my stomach (i.e. diarrhea). (Well, I don't know if it's really my back pain that's causing it, but it feels like it). My body temperature would have me sweating in mid-December when everyone else is freezing to death. I used to always miss the first day of my period when I was in highschool (or end up checking out).
    Posted by HULU[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm on Yaz, and it has 24 days of hormones followed by 4 days of sugar pills. My periods usually only last 2-5 days at the most (and 5 is the exception, it's usually only 2-3) and my friends say they're the same....

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards