Not Engaged Yet
Options

Birthright

Has anyone here done it/know someone who has done it?

I'm pretty much set to go next winter, but I would like to hear some real experiences.

Re: Birthright

• Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Birthright - it's a free, educational trip to Israel for any Jewish person from the ages of 18 to 26.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, neat! That's really cool!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend Sharon did it.  She had a great time.  She said they pay for everything and only ask you to pay for your own breakfast the whole time.  I'm pretty sure she spent some time in the desert and I know she said she saw the Dead Sea.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My BF's sister's BF did something that sounds like that at the beginning of the summer. He said it was a fantastic experience.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Everyone that I know who has gone on Birthright loved it. FI loved it so much that he went on a different trip to go back to Israel a couple years after doing Birthright. Who are you planning to go with? Most people that I know, including FI, went via Mayanot and the rest went through Hillel. I know that they had slightly different intineraries, though the overall experience was the same. If you are planning on going, you should see if you can find someone who went on your specific trip in the past since they will be able to give you the most feedback on the itinerary and the rabbi/chaperone/guide who is going with you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went in December 2001 with Hillel. My experience with it was great. Everything was paid for, except for some lunches (they let you explore a little). Places my group went to included Masada, Dead Sea, archeological digs, and Golan. It was a good bonding experience too for my group of friends. They even let you extend your trip (if you wanted to stay with relatives or friends) afterward for a small fee. One of my friends visited the West Bank, although I personally wouldn't recommend going there on your own like he did (that's a story on its own).

The only drawback was that we couldn't explore on our own during the tour for security reasons. DJ Tiesto was in Jerusalem when we were there, but our coordinator wouldn't let us leave the hotel.
  • Options
    KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went on it.  I had some objections, but for the most part it was great.

I was not as interested in hiking and seeing the nature, which we did for over half the time.  Its not that different from Utah, and I was interested in seeing the sites and cities (really?  one day in Jerusalem?).  Also I went on it as a religious experience for the most part, many people did not (and had no knowledge or interest in that aspect of the trip).  So those were my issues.

All in all though it was fantastic, the tour guide was great, I learned a tun about life there, history, and we had some really good religious discussions too.  The political aspects were fascinating. 

I would really recommend it to anyone, but look at the age of your group, as it can make a difference (or so I'm told, I've only done it once). 

PM me if you have any specific questions, and enjoy your trip, its a once in a lifetime experience. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend went on it and had a blast.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aw man. I'm Jewish by ethnicity, but my family hasn't been practicing since my grandmother. I want to go to Israel too. :(
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Narwhal - it really doesn't matter if you're non-practicing. My family doesn't really observe anything besides the major holidays and we haven't been in a temple since my brother got Bar Mitzvahed in '95. So long as one parent is Jewish, you don't actively practice any other religion and you've never been to Israel on an educational trip, you should be eligible.

Check out www.birthrightisrael.com to see the guidelines.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, Narwhal, my friends who went are for the most part non-practicing.  You're almost definitely eligible!

I have about a dozen or so friends who have gone on Birthright.  Almost all loved it - the biggest complaint I have heard is that it is typically rather indoctrinating about the ideology of Zionism (specifically, the Palestine conflict and the relationship with the Middle East).  My friends were all well versed in political history from both sides, so the push for ideology on the trip wasn't as appreciated.

Some people want the religous side, some people do want the cultural and Zionist side (my colleague certainly did when he went), and some want more of the tourist side.  I believe there are trips designed for all sorts, so be sure and research the different groups doing the trips to make sure it aligns with the itinerary and ideology you want to be immersed in.  Not only will it define where you go and what you hear, but it will also likely influence who will be on the trip with you and if you'll get along with them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a friend who did it and LOVED it!  I would love to do it, but I'm afraid the Zionist push would make me batty, especially as a Buddhist and especially since I think Isreal has been pushing its luck the past many years and is going to get burned for its Zionist agenda.
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with my DH (we were engaged at the time).  It was an amazing experience that I am so glad we could share together.  There are a bunch of different organizations that you can chose to go with, and they can cater to your wants and needs.  For example, we chose to be with the older adults and didn't want to be with Orthodox or really Conservative people.  PP said that the scenery was like Utah...I have to disagree.  Masada was amazing and there was just such vast amounts of desert it was incredible.  We also got to float in the Dead Sea which was such unlike anything I had ever been before.

I highly recommend going on this FREE trip.  It really is free.  You just need to pay for 1 meal/day.  If your partner is Jewish then you 2 should definitely go together.  I was so wonderful to get to experience together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards