Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony Location Dilemma

I recently got engaged about 2 weeks ago! He proposed on my birthday :) And now as we are planning we have come to a huge dilemma: Where we are going to have the ceremony.  I am not very religious but my family who is religious is Catholic.  My FI is somewhat religious but does not attend church on a regular basis and he is Christian.  Both of our families live in the same town where we are going to have the wedding.  So both of our families naturally want us to get married at each respective church but we obviously have to pick one church or the other so now we are stuck on deciding which church.  Both of our parents are most likely going to be upset if we do not choose their respective church.  My FI doesn't really want to have a catholic wedding and I don't really want to have it at his Christian church either.  So how do we choose if neither wants to have it at each other's churches?  We also haven't decided on who is officiating it because we haven't chosen a church yet.  Since I am not religious I would like the wedding to be about us and our love and not about how God has been in our relationship especially since I don't think it plays a role.  This also poses a problem on who officiates the ceremony because we need someone who will be able to talk about our love and not about how God has played a role in it.  We are also trying to stay away from the Justice of the Peace route because I don't think our families would like it much. Please let me know your thoughts!  Sorry for the long post! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards