Not Engaged Yet
Options

No, No, Virus....NO NO! (Now including a totally precious vent...Please come and vent with me)

Sooo....I work in a very small office. It's a 400 sq. ft. glass box. And one particular co-worker has come in sick. ::sigh::

I was sick all last holiday season. I REALLY don't want to be sick this year!! REALLY, REALLY, DON'T WANT!

So I'm trying to do everything I can not to get sick.

I'm using airborne: 

EmergenC (in which my other co-worker just informed me that it does NOT have the new improved flavor it brags about): 

Echinecia: 

And even black elderberry: 

What else can I do?
Do I already have my bases covered?

I already have a scratchy throat. :( I'm trying really hard to not let it progress.

So what are your cold/flu season tricks?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: No, No, Virus....NO NO! (Now including a totally precious vent...Please come and vent with me)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would take about a tablespoon of honey at least twice a day. Local honey is the best to take for colds, but you can get perfectly good honey at the grocery store. That really helps with sore throats! =)

Wow I am a PW today. Guess I've totally checked out of work now that my daily goal is met...

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Try the orange EmergenC mixed with orange juice, cant taste it at all! Sleepy time tea at night to make sure you're relaxed when going to bed also helps. Oh and if you're getting stuffed up rub vicks on your feet and put socks over them when first going to bed, idky but Ive heard tons of ppl say this works!

• Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Drink pineapple juice for a scratchy throat. It'll burn a little, but there's apparently some compound in it that helps. Also, make sure you get lots and lots of rest. Sleep does wonders for keeping healthy. Be very conscious of not touching your face. Keeping the germs out of all those mucous membranes is key.

You can also try something that singers swear by called 'Oil of Oregano'. It's awful, and it burns, but it works.
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tell your sick coworker to GO HOME!
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_virusno?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:3f61eb24-2bc3-4f79-8fd9-79da8e9d795aPost:ae3b5cca-43a7-487e-9b30-db8903ee7bd7">Re: No, No, Virus....NO NO!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tell your sick coworker to GO HOME!
    Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I keep telling her. In fact- she said about 10 minutes ago...
    "Wow- these aches are no joke" And I blurted, "WHY are you here?" And she said, "because you need me!"

And I told her..."What happens when Coworker #1 and I are both out sick and you're here stuck alone?"

Blargh.
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those kind of people should be beaten over the head. You should be explicit that you don't need her germs!
  • Options
    Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_virusno?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:3f61eb24-2bc3-4f79-8fd9-79da8e9d795aPost:661130f4-7341-445b-abbb-55c3ea2cb774">Re: No, No, Virus....NO NO!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: No, No, Virus....NO NO! : Yeah...I keep telling her. In fact- she said about 10 minutes ago... "Wow- these aches are no joke" And I blurted, "WHY are you here?" And she said, "because you need me!" And I told her..."What happens when Coworker #1 and I are both out sick and you're here stuck alone?" Blargh.
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

I hate stupid ppl like that! NO we don't need you here when you're spreading your nasty sick germs to everyone else!

Sorry I hate ppl like that. I got the flu 3 times last yr and the cold 2 times and I spread it to my FI but I always get things worse bc of my health in general.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Take a zinc supplement. It's supposed to fend off illness. This may be the active ingredient in some of the other things you have listed though...so I'd check that out first so you don't get overloaded!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_virusno?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:3f61eb24-2bc3-4f79-8fd9-79da8e9d795aPost:723c7fb6-8cf0-461d-9bee-d5157da99197">Re: No, No, Virus....NO NO!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Take a zinc supplement. It's supposed to fend off illness. This may be the active ingredient in some of the other things you have listed though...so I'd check that out first so you don't get overloaded!
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

Yeah- there is some in the sambucol, but I also got some Cold Eeze that I'll use after that sambucol is gone.

And I have to say...I'm really digging the sambucol. I almost felt a difference immediately...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is some research that light exercise (30 min walk) when you are about to get sick actually helps you prevent it if it's still "not quite started" or helps you get better if you're already feeling it.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Take Zi cam.  It works pretty well. I hope you don't get sick.  Also drink tea with honey and lemon in it to make your throat feel better. 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard good things about Zicam as well. The best thing you can probably do for yourself is lots of hand sanitizer! lol
    5/27/12
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm a big fan of the gummi vitamins that have vitamin c, zinc, and echinacea.

http://www.amazon.com/Lil-Critters-Immune-Echinacea-190-Count/dp/B003VDBGHY
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't vent very often.
    But I'm feeling VERY venty....

I literally feel like I'm trapped in this f'ing office. This f'ing glass box....like a freaking science experiment...just to see how long it takes for me to get sick. 

This coworker is coughing SOOO much and SOOO f'ing hard it sounds like she's going to vomit.

It's disgusting...and DISRESPECTFUL....F'ing disrespectful.

Do you know what happens when I have to miss a day of work because someone gets me sick because they wouldn't use the sick days that THEY HAVE?

I can't buy Christmas presents for my family and friends. That's what happens. And this co-workers knows this. And she also knows if she gets coworker #1 sick- he'll bring it home to his 4 month old and 19 month old daughters. 

I am going to throw cough drops at your face!
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Can you talk to your supervisor?  Maybe they can at least move you to a different workstation for a while?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_virusno?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:3f61eb24-2bc3-4f79-8fd9-79da8e9d795aPost:59590ee7-f4ba-419f-a175-10ecf5a76d15">Re: No, No, Virus....NO NO! (Now including a totally precious vent...Please come and vent with me)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you talk to your supervisor?  Maybe they can at least move you to a different workstation for a while?
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

My supervisor is in Florida at the moment. He's asked her to leave early...probably even before I told him how disgusting and disrespectful it was. But she doesn't listen...because she doesn't care. She doesn't care about anyone else, apparently.
    And there really isn't anywhere else for me to work. We literally only have 3 cubicles in a 400 sq. ft. room that is Career Services. Oy vay.
  • Options
    lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, sorry Lunar, that sucks! When I feel a cold coming on I use sinus rinse kit like this 

I use it both in the AM and PM, and I swear by them. It flushes out all the germs in your sinus. Oh, an hand sanitizer! That plus what you've got going on now and you should be fine. Though I think if you really want to make your point about not wanting to get sick, wear a face mask to work tomorrow :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Perhaps you could wear those little masks like people over in China do to keep from getting SARS and other airborne sicknesses. They even make cute ones that look like kitten faces, lol. :) If your coworker says anything about it, tell her you don't look half as silly as she does ridiculous for coming to work.
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_virusno?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:3f61eb24-2bc3-4f79-8fd9-79da8e9d795aPost:a292b149-78b9-4377-ab65-6d758b49f0ca">Re: No, No, Virus....NO NO!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try the orange EmergenC mixed with orange juice, cant taste it at all! Sleepy time tea at night to make sure you're relaxed when going to bed also helps. <strong>Oh and if you're getting stuffed up rub vicks on your feet and put socks over them when first going to bed, idky but Ive heard tons of ppl say this works!
    </strong>Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]

My dad does this and he's not into those crazy tricks to feel better.

Kleenex has tissues with Vick in them.. They smell soo good.

Get lots of rest and drink lots of water. Kick it's butt before you even get it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And now you're clipping your nails at work? 15 minutes after you were suppose to go home?!
    GOOO HOOOMMMEE!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_virusno?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:3f61eb24-2bc3-4f79-8fd9-79da8e9d795aPost:5e6e8ad5-6ef3-48bc-b2de-d4a7f91a2fc0">Re: No, No, Virus....NO NO! (Now including a totally precious vent...Please come and vent with me)</a>:
    [QUOTE]And now you're clipping your nails at work? 15 minutes after you were suppose to go home?! GOOO HOOOMMMEE!
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

<div>People who clip their nails in public = pet peeve. All those "CLICK!" "CLICK!" "CLICK!" noises aren't too wonderful either.</div>
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Get some Lysol and Clorox wipes. Seriously. And glare at her while you spray/wipe.
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'm a big fan of Emergen-C. Also, you could get a neti-pot to rinse your sinuses & that might help with getting out the bad stuff before it gets worse. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards