Not Engaged Yet
Options

wedding jewelry help!

Our wedding is at the beach and we are incorporating pearls everywhere that we can. I'm wearing a strapless gown with lace and organza. I found some jewelry that I love on Etsy but can't decide if it's too much or what all I should buy. What would you wear/not wear and what do you think goes together? I'm open to eliminating things!

bracelet idea 1 (enlarge to see the detail)

bracelet idea 2

earrings:

ETA: I should also add that I'm wearing this in my hair. I don't want to have too much 'bling' on and want it to match well enough.

5/27/12

Re: wedding jewelry help!

• Options
    I think that none of those bracelets go with the necklace but I love the second one!  And it goes with the earrings. I am sure you could find a necklace that would match :)
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wedding-jewelry-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:41dc4a5f-deae-4b3a-8860-575cae02e774Post:4a8e8956-26df-49a6-9392-e28fb6d42bf8">Re: wedding jewelry help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that none of those bracelets go with the necklace but I love the second one!  And it goes with the earrings. I am sure you could find a necklace that would match :)
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. What about a single strand of pearls? The necklace is the part I'm having the most trouble with :(
    5/27/12
  • Options
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I really like that! I was trying to look for something more dainty to balance the headband out. Let me know if you find anything else :):)
    5/27/12
  • Options
    If it was me I would wear all 4 :)
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    lol Nursey, I probably will end up doing so.

Ray, I love all of them. That second one was amazing but I could never pull it off. I can't decide!
    5/27/12
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wedding-jewelry-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:41dc4a5f-deae-4b3a-8860-575cae02e774Post:0b02ab40-3776-4167-ae83-96dc5c6d1967">Re: wedding jewelry help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]lol Nursey, I probably will end up doing so. Ray, I love all of them. That second one was amazing but I could never pull it off. I can't decide!
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]
    Don't sell yourself short :)  If you love it go for it.  This day you get to be whoever you want to be style wise :)

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I would wear the earrings and the second bracelet, but skip the necklace. I just love the way strapless gowns look without necklaces.
  • Options
    I'm going to say this right now, I am not a fan of bracelets, but I think the 2nd one looks pretty. However, no they don't go with the necklace.

The hairpiece is absolutely stunning, and it seems that Ray has got the e-hunting going on. BTW, I love the idea of a single string of pearls around the neck. Just remember, if you go with an overstated necklace, go with understated earrings, and vice versa.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks Ray, it's just so hard picturing it all by looking at it online. I need to make up my mind asap because I want them to come in time for my last fitting!

Elle, I'm considering that as well. I just can't find any necklace that feels right with the other pieces.

Texas, I agree. Would you say the earrings are overstated? I can't really tell if they are going to stand out or not.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    I think you should go with the flower earrings and the flower bracelet and skip the necklace.  The earrings dangle a little, so you'll have some points of interest to draw attention to your face.  I tend to be an earrings OR necklace kind of girl.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wedding-jewelry-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:41dc4a5f-deae-4b3a-8860-575cae02e774Post:5e7146b0-b250-4c6e-9f3d-acd7168afa49">Re: wedding jewelry help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should go with the flower earrings and the flower bracelet and skip the necklace.  The earrings dangle a little, so you'll have some points of interest to draw attention to your face.<strong>  I tend to be an earrings OR necklace kind of girl.</strong>
    Posted by caitlin.cave[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

If you really want a necklace, what about a simple pearl pendant rather than a strand of pearls?  Or something like this:

<a href="http://www.etsy.com/listing/71104892/orchid-flowers-and-pearl-necklace-s2033?ref=sr_gallery_1&sref=sr_e5ea840e7b7f25110abccb0057b112072c621d0a049119fbeea085697b3081fe_1335130842_14129572_pendant&ga_search_query=pearl+pendant+orchid+necklace&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade" rel="nofollow">http://www.etsy.com/listing/71104892/orchid-flowers-and-pearl-necklace-s2033?ref=sr_gallery_1&sref=sr_e5ea840e7b7f25110abccb0057b112072c621d0a049119fbeea085697b3081fe_1335130842_14129572_pendant&ga_search_query=pearl+pendant+orchid+necklace&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade</a>
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wedding-jewelry-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41dc4a5f-deae-4b3a-8860-575cae02e774Post:a03ab0a7-d527-4f39-b79d-087da849facc">Re: wedding jewelry help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Ray, it's just so hard picturing it all by looking at it online. I need to make up my mind asap because I want them to come in time for my last fitting! Elle, I'm considering that as well. I just can't find any necklace that feels right with the other pieces. Texas, I agree. Would you say the earrings are overstated? I can't really tell if they are going to stand out or not.

From the picture those earrings look like they barely dangle at all, so imo they aren't overstated, but really I would have to see them with a necklace (on someone) for me to really make a personal call. However, just seeing them, I think they would go well with a necklace, and there wouldn't be too much going on around the face.

With a strapless dress, I like the look of a nice necklace, nothing too bold, with a pair of studs or slightly dangling earrings. Personally I like to see balance between necklace and earrings together.

Just want to add, I think hairstyle also affects the style of jewelry that looks good too, but that is another topic completely. LOL.

ETA: Looks like I am in the minority of liking both necklace and earrings. Elle, I'm not usually a fan of small pendants with strapless dresses, I feel they can get lost on the body since there is such a span of skin, but then again, I probably like necklaces more than earrings so I am probably biased as heck.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wedding-jewelry-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:41dc4a5f-deae-4b3a-8860-575cae02e774Post:710f8ce8-7061-4d1b-af7a-377e12c00658">Re: wedding jewelry help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wedding jewelry help! : From the picture those earrings look like they barely dangle at all, so imo they aren't overstated, but really I would have to see them with a necklace (on someone) for me to really make a personal call. However, just seeing them, I think they would go well with a necklace, and there wouldn't be too much going on around the face. With a strapless dress, I like the look of a nice necklace, nothing too bold, with a pair of studs or slightly dangling earrings. Personally I like to see balance between necklace and earrings together. Just want to add, I think hairstyle also affects the style of jewelry that looks good too, but that is another topic completely. LOL. ETA: Looks like I am in the minority of liking both necklace and earrings.<strong> Elle, I'm not usually a fan of small pendants with strapless dresses, I feel they can get lost on the body since there is such a span of skin,</strong> but then again, I probably like necklaces more than earrings so I am probably biased as heck.
    Posted by LilTexasGal[/QUOTE]

Ha, that's what I like.

The appeal of strapless dresses, IMO, is that they show off that neck/shoulder/collarbone area without breaking it up into pieces.  It's so pretty!   So yeah, I like small or no necklaces with most strapless looks.
  • Options
    If you're wearing bling in your hair, I would err on the side of simplicity & go with just a bracelet, but that's just me. I love bracelet #2.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

• Options
    Haha I think this thread has made me more confused. I'm leaning towards no necklace because what everyone is saying makes a lot of sense. I am wearing my hair up, though, if that makes a difference?
    5/27/12
  • Options
    That makes a certain amount of sense. But I think what you're planning to wear in your hair is elaborate enough that earrings definitely would be too much, and I tend to think a necklace would be, too.

If it weren't a beach wedding, I would say go for more jewelry. But you're going to be in such a natural setting that, if it were me, I'd want to go fairly natural in my look.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wedding-jewelry-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:41dc4a5f-deae-4b3a-8860-575cae02e774Post:d4a1771f-356e-4353-99b0-9cc63bfc4ef4">Re: wedding jewelry help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wedding jewelry help! : Ha, that's what I like. The appeal of strapless dresses, IMO, is that they show off that neck/shoulder/collarbone area without breaking it up into pieces.  It's so pretty!   So yeah, I like small or no necklaces with most strapless looks.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Maybe I just have an awkward neck/shoulder/collarbone area, because when I wear strapless things I look odd. Or at least I feel I do. I guess I see strapless dresses as a chance to decorate your collarbone/neck with something pretty. Of course nothing gaudy, but  something that is elegant and stands out still. IDK how to expain myself />.< but I certainly see how there is the appeal to just "show off" this area too! Never thought of it like that before, perhaps I'll try that the next time FI and I go out!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wedding-jewelry-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:41dc4a5f-deae-4b3a-8860-575cae02e774Post:75efc43b-1ca3-4be7-bf0f-ae587cabcdf6">Re: wedding jewelry help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha I think this thread has made me more confused. I'm leaning towards no necklace because what everyone is saying makes a lot of sense. I am wearing my hair up, though, if that makes a difference?
    Jaycee I have a song for you:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4HJ0zfZ-EM" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4HJ0zfZ-EM</a>

Just do what the song tells you what to do because in the end all will matter is how you felt.  Do you feel beautiful?  No one is going to think your jewerly looks bad or is too much I promise. 

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Thank you everyone so much for helping out! I'm going to go with bracelet #2 and the matching earrings. I'm just going to go without a necklace. I looked at some pictures of people with strapless dresses and agree that it looks really nice without anything!
    5/27/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards