Not Engaged Yet
Options

Feeling like a traitor

So my dad came and visited DH and I in Germany last weekend, which was awesome. I am so glad he came.  My 21st (whoot) birthday is next month and so he brought me my presents from home.  One of them wasn't wrapped.  DH and I have figured out that when I asked him to bring more books he totally forgot and instead gave me some of his and got the ok from my mom to buy me a Kindle Touch at the airport. 
Great right?  But I feel so bad.  I love reading books and I love having a book in my hand.  The smell, the feel, and the sounds all sing to me while I read a book.  I feel like a total traitor to real books because I kind of like the Kindle.  It still bothers me how it fits in my hand (not very well) and the finicky touch drives me crazy sometimes but I am really enjoying it.  And because I am cheap I am enjoying reading all the classics for free (some of my favorite books). 
So my question is to you ladies who love real books and own a Kindle, how do you find balance?  Do you still read real books?  Can anyone tell me how to get the Touch to let me read sideways? 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

Re: Feeling like a traitor

• Options
    I do still read real books. Not all of my books are on the kindle, and I still buy real books too (especially used at bookstores or for class or if the book isn't on the kindle). But I love my kindle too. I guess that's my balance! I don't have a touch, so I can't help with that.
  • Options
    I was really hesitant to get a Kindle for the reasons mentioned by other posters. H's parents got me one for Christmas 2 years ago and I figured I had to put it to use. I actually ended up loving the fact that it was flat and easier to hold. I also really enjoy being able to instantly purchase new books. It's not so great for my bank account though Tongue Out
    5/27/12
  • Options
    I have a Kobo Touch.  I still will read actual books that I havein the apartment (I re-read books a lot) but I tend to just buy them for the Kobo.  I also love having an actual book in my hand, but its so much cheaper to just get the ebook version.  

I also have hundreds of books still in ON that we couldn't bring out here with us, so it helped put a stop to the never ending problem of how do I move all my books around with us.  

I like to bring a book with me to work for breaks too, so the Kobo makes it a lot easier since its much smaller/lighter than some of the books I have.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I was resistance to a kindle for a long time too, but I finally got one and I love it.  I love being able to have several books all in one spot and it saves so much room too.  Occaisionally I will buy a regular book if it isn't in the kindle format.  I've found some pretty decent books for free as well.  I have some of my favorite books, ones that I know I will reread in a regular book form.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_feeling-like-a-traitor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4c60991d-3ab9-45e6-95ff-f276c7f1d037Post:3fe5f268-797d-401d-8706-68bc1468a955">Re: Feeling like a traitor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was really hesitant to get a Kindle for the reasons mentioned by other posters. H's parents got me one for Christmas 2 years ago and I figured I had to put it to use. I actually ended up loving the fact that it was flat and easier to hold. <strong>I also really enjoy being able to instantly purchase new books</strong>. It's not so great for my bank account though
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This for me too.  Its much easier to decide you want to buy a book and get it instantly, instead of driving to a store that might not have it in stock.

</div>
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I refused to go to ereader even though both my parents had and many friends had till about a year ago. My RA got so bad along with the accompanying neuropathy that holding a large book became almost impossible at times, and at those times reading is really the only thing I can do since running etc become impossible in that pain. I bought a refurb nook and though I still love the smell of an old book, and the feel of a book in my hands I realise as a patient with my condition this was the best option for me especially when times get tough. It wasnt something I wanted to do but something I had to do.  I'm avoiding one of the color ones though because I have major issues with touch screens. Sadly fiance laughs when I cant unlock my phone but it is what it is :/.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    I love my Kindle. I love real books. My balance is that if I LOVE the book then I buy it as a hard copy. I have HP on my Kindle and I still have all my hard copies. I love that now I can take HP with me everywhere without lugging around 7 heavy books. The way I see it what I truly love about books are the characters and the stories so whether I'm reading the book on an e-reader or my hard copy version I'm not losing what I really love about reading.

Besides books don't actually have feelings, the story doesn't care if you read it in a book or on an e-reader :)

• Options
    Raven, to put your Kindle Touch in landscape, while you're in the book, tap near the top of the screen to bring up the chrome. Then tap menu. There should be a choice (#3 down) to select landscape mode.

Follow the same instructions to go back to portrait mode.

I understand what you're saying about the finicky touch. It drives me bonkers sometimes, too.

It's really kind of terrible. I haven't been to the library in about two years! It was just so hard to find time to go.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_feeling-like-a-traitor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4c60991d-3ab9-45e6-95ff-f276c7f1d037Post:f831706e-ce3a-4d81-88ed-f69714518486">Re: Feeling like a traitor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love my Kindle. I love real books. My balance is that if I LOVE the book then I buy it as a hard copy. I have HP on my Kindle and I still have all my hard copies. I love that now I can take HP with me everywhere without lugging around 7 heavy books. The way I see it what I truly love about books are the characters and the stories so whether I'm reading the book on an e-reader or my hard copy version I'm not losing what I really love about reading. <strong>Besides books don't actually have feelings, the story doesn't care if you read it in a book or on an e-reader :)</strong>
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]
    *Gasp* Balsphony Beth!  I can't believe you would say that.  I thought you were my friend.  Books do to have feelings.  Don't every say such horrible things again!

Well thanks for the help ladies.  I will do my best.  Seeing as I am without books I will have to rely on my Kindle for now.  We will see how it balances out back in the states.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Oh Leia!  Thank you!  I couldn't figure it out and it was bugging the crap out of me! You are the best, but of course you know all about it :)

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_feeling-like-a-traitor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4c60991d-3ab9-45e6-95ff-f276c7f1d037Post:f831706e-ce3a-4d81-88ed-f69714518486">Re: Feeling like a traitor</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love my Kindle. I love real books. My balance is that if I LOVE the book then I buy it as a hard copy. I have HP on my Kindle and I still have all my hard copies. I love that now I can take HP with me everywhere without lugging around 7 heavy books. <strong>The way I see it what I truly love about books are the characters and the stories so whether I'm reading the book on an e-reader or my hard copy version I'm not losing what I really love about reading.</strong> Besides books don't actually have feelings, the story doesn't care if you read it in a book or on an e-reader :)
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

<div>I really like this way of thinking about it. I've resisted getting an e-reader thus far because I love holding books too much. I'd never buy an electronic textbook either, and I hate it when profs post 30 page online readings to do. It just feels wrong. But really, that's totally silly, and I'm a dork and need to get over my old-fashioned self. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_feeling-like-a-traitor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:4c60991d-3ab9-45e6-95ff-f276c7f1d037Post:07ed9800-313c-47d8-ad32-c55f383d7f7e">Re: Feeling like a traitor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Feeling like a traitor : I really like this way of thinking about it. I've resisted getting an e-reader thus far because I love holding books too much. <strong>I'd never buy an electronic textbook either, and I hate it when profs post 30 page online readings to do.</strong> It just feels wrong. But really, that's totally silly, and I'm a dork and need to get over my old-fashioned self. 
    Posted by Beads921[/QUOTE]

I can't do academic reading electronically. I don't know why but if it is a textbook or an article I have to have a hard copy.

ETA: Ray - ok, maybe the books have feelings but I still think they don't mind being in the e-reader :)

• Options
    I would love an e-reader, if only so I could read on the go.  I still love books and have shelves of them, and I don't think I'd quit buying hard-copies.  I like lining my shelves with them and being able to curl up with one... or to write in them, if I want!
  • Options
    I love technology, I don't really care about physical books. I prefer my bookshelf space. So I only buy paperbacks when it's not available on kindle. OR..self-help or workbooks I may need to doodle in. I bought a yoga book that's huge and lays flat that I love. I don't want to stare at a screen when I'm working out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have a nook & I adore it. I have loads of books from before I got my nook but I'm totally fine with just having e-books now. I don't have a bookstore nearby so ordering books online then waiting for them to arrive is just a pain in the ass. This is WAY easier & more convenient for me.

• Options
    I'm kind of the opposite of you all, I really don't like 'real' books.  Not like I hated them or anything, but actually holding a book didn't really do anything for me.  And the amount of room they took up was a deterrent to me as far as reading.  I read a little bit here and there, but then H bought me a Kindle Touch for Christmas and originally I was afraid I wouldn't use it that much.  But I've probably read at least 50 books on that thing already in the last 6 months.   Shiiit, I've read 6 books just in the last 3 days.  I love my Kindle, it's a nifty little piece of technology.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I completely understand. But there IS room for both in your life. You  have to look at the positives of a Kindle

1) If you fall asleep reading you dont lose your place
    2) You can travel long distances and carry the entire Harry Potter series with you without going over your baggage limit
    3) If you are traveling and run out of book to read you can purchase instantly even without a barnes and noble near you
    4) It fits nicely in a plastic baggie so you can take it to the pool/tub/beach without worrying about it getting splashed and the pages curling

But they will never REPLACE real books... at least not for me. But I do love my Kindle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards