Not Engaged Yet

What a day.

So as many of you know, I teach first grade and this past year was my first year as a classroom teacher. You may also remember that I was unsure of whether I'd have a job next year. Well I found out today that my job is not safe. I found out because another school called to interview me because apparently I'm on the hiring list. My district pre-interviews candidates then puts them on a list of people individual schools can then interview to hire (I work in a small urban district of 25 elementary schools).

As you can imagine, I was pretty shocked to find out this way. I went and spoke with my principals as soon as I found out about the interview to see what they knew. Apparently they thought I was safe and already had my room assigned for next year. I had 3 different families request me for next year and they had been told their requests were granted.

The good news is that I do have an interview. The bad news is that if I don't get that job I'm SOL. Either way I'm leaving the school that I love. The other school could be great but it's a school going through a redesign because their scores were sub-par for too many consecutive years.

I don't know. I'm thankful that I have a chance to possibly be re-hired considering the fact that I had no idea I didn't have a job for next year.

So I just updated my resume and I'm frantically trying to update my portfolio even though I didn't think to bring home student work today. I'll have to add that in tomorrow when I'm at school. Uhg.

Positive thoughts would be greatly appreciated right now. Thanks ladies for letting me vent.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: What a day.

• edited December 2011
    Wow, that's a horrible way to find out! You would think someone would have called, or sent a letter, or something BEFORE an interview!

I'm sure you'll do great. A job at a sub-par school is better than no job, right? I'm sure you're a fantastic teacher! 3 families requested you, that's so awesome! Try not to stress. Just do what you've gotta do and knock 'em dead!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Sucks you had to find out that way. Good luck in everything.
  • bajedivabajediva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure things will work out a-ok as you weather this, but I can also appreciate how jarring it is to go through the experience. When things got iffy in my district a year or two ago, it was not so comforting to know that as a new teacher, my job would be one of the first on the chopping block. I ended up going back to school and my career path has definitely changed a bit, but I do remember the discomfort of that uncertainty.

Thankfully, you were presented a prospect even before you knew you needed one. Although I also know it sucks to be faced with leaving a school where you feel comfortable to go into an unstable situation, in these times, any job, especially one in your field, is a beautiful beautiful thing.
  • edited December 2011

Wishing you lots of luck!

• edited December 2011
    You're all right. A job is a great thing. I intend to go in and knock them dead tomorrow. I just worry about what will happen if I don't get it. Like you said Baje...teaching jobs are hard to come by. I TAed for 1 year and subbed for 2 before I got this job. I have friends who have been subbing since we graduated undergrad over 4 years ago and we all have our masters degree. It's rough out there right now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Update: I just got a call from my former Vice Principal (she was moved to another re-design school) for another interview tomorrow. It makes me feel so much better to know that I have 2 opportunities. Thanks for the encouragement ladies.
  • babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WAHOO!

2 interviews means you WILL land a job at a school you WILL LOVE and everything will be okay.

I got news today too, that since finding out that Wells Fargo Financial will nolonger be around Come OCtober, that I am transfering to Wachovia (DOWNTOWN) . While i'm excited it is closed to my parents house (where I'm at pre wedding... ie 3 more months) and about the same distance from FI's house... I'm not looking forward to the traffic.
  • jgcohnjgcohn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is not a fun way to find out about all of this.  I'm sorry you had to find out that way.  One interview is all you need to get a job...two is even better!  You'll have your pick of the schools =)

Don't worry about not being at your favorite school...think about all of the kids you will be helping.  You know you're a good teacher, and these prospective employers will find that out tomorrow!! 

Good luck!
  • tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry you found out this way - that is not right but I am keeping very positive thoughts for you and KNOW you will do awesome. Anyone that passes you by is a fool - I can just tell from your posts how p[assionate and amazing you are. Knock em dead!
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    You ladies are the best.
  • edited December 2011
    What a terrible way to find that out!  But it sounds like you're a valued commodity and you'll get a great class in a school you'll love
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck with your interviews today! I'm sure you'll do great! It sounds like you are a great teacher if 3 families are requesting you so early in your career.

Your school district sounds ridiculous though. I can't believe that you found out that way! I also feel bad for your principals who have assigned you to a class already.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards