Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

how to walk infants down aisle?

Ok this might be a little strange but my youngest son will only be about 9 months at his father and I's wedding and I REALLY want him to be a member of the wedding party. I decided he will be the ring bearer while his older brother is gonna walk me down the aisle. Here is the other issue, I have a neice who is 1 week younger than my youngest so will be 9 months at the time too. They are the only small children in the family that I would want in my wedding party. But this being said, WHO would actually bring them down the aisle? I was thinking it would be adorable to have them in a little white wagon and brought down the aisle that way (my ceremony is only gonna be like 10 min long). Should my mom bring them down? Should my FH mom (thier other grandma) bring them down? or should I have someone else entirely roll them down??

Suggestions??

Re: how to walk infants down aisle?

• Our ring bearer is 14 months old. He walks a little wobbly and is into everything but he is our nephew and we want him in our wedding. A lot of people have said that I will be disappointed if he goes astray. I say, they dont know me. I think it would be hilarious and cute. I dont have high expectations. I just want my family to be involved. With that said, our junior usher (who is also a nephew) is 12 years old and he is going to either hold Jacks hand or carry him down the aisle.

• I think you're on the right track with the wagon, I've seen that before.  Dress up a regular wagon with bows or fabric or something.  As long as you're prepared for the unexpected with them of course, and have someone to watch them during the ceremony and walk them out if they start having a fit or something else!  I'd say having an older child walk them down would be cute, an 8+ year old niece or cousin or something?
  • I think the best way for a 9 month old to be in a wedding is in the arms of someone who can sit down and hold him.  IMO, unless someone can get down the aisle under their own power, and use words to describe what their role is and why they're performing that role, they're too young to be in a WP.

Your son won't know he's in the WP.  He'll be AT your wedding, and that's plenty.  You can have a zillion photos taken with him.  You can hold him in your arms and dance with him at the reception.  Ceremony?  I would leave him out.

I would never in a million years put a couple of 9 months old in a wagon, especially if you're thinking of another kid pulling it.  Really?  What's the point?  I think the wagon thing has been completely played out, and again, IMO, wagons and weddings are not compatible.   Sorry.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Ditto Retread and Trix.  I also think that the wagon thing is rather dangerous when the kid isn't old enough to really hang on or support themselves.  Chances are very good that if he falls out of the wagon, he'll do so head-first, and there's no way anyone would be able to catch him in time.  I'm not a fan of any wedding plans where the worst case scenario is a trip to the emergency room.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • i think the wagon would be a cute idea.  the kids are your family so of course you would want them to be apart of the big day.  Maybe they won't remember but you will always have the pictures.  I think having another kid pull the wagon would be a good idea.  and if you put pillows or something in the wagon it should be fine.  Maybe just have someone on stand by incase the baby starts crying and has to be taken away.  I think it would be too hard to have him walk.  maybe try to practice a few times before too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When we first started talking to the pastor of our church about getting married, one of the first things he asked us was if we were having any children in the wedding party.  We said no and his response was, "Good.  I've been at a lot of weddings, and children in the wedding not worth it.  And when people try to do things like pull little babies down the aisle in a wagon, I think that's child abuse."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_walk-infants-down-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:cdb00683-33e9-403e-8e90-13974fb0941dPost:d5d37f8a-5de8-4eb5-a993-125a672e0c3c">Re: how to walk infants down aisle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think the wagon would be a cute idea.  the kids are your family so of course you would want them to be apart of the big day.  Maybe they won't remember but you will always have the pictures.  I think having another kid pull the wagon would be a good idea.  and if you put pillows or something in the wagon it should be fine.  Maybe just have someone on stand by incase the baby starts crying and has to be taken away.  I think it would be too hard to have him walk.  maybe try to practice a few times before too.
    Posted by shori140[/QUOTE]

Do you actually have infant children?   You would let another child pull your infant child ina wagon?  Not I, my friend, not I.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Honestly, while it's a cute idea, I really don't think it's a good one. If a kid can't support themselves enough to sit on their own and not fall over if when met with a bit of jostling (Because, a wagon is going to shake them a bit, no matter how gentle somebody pulls it, and most 9 month old aren't capable of "bracing" themselves), it just isn't a safe thing to do.

That being said, I am all for somebody carrying the children down the aisle. Or if you insist on them not being held, then at least go with decorated stroller so they will be in an actual seat that can give them the proper head and neck support and eliminate the possibility of them falling over/out.

I'm all for cute, really, I am. But honestly if I were a wedding guest and saw a child that small pulled down the aisle in a wagon, I'd be too busy being worried that something would go wrong resulting in the kid getting hurt to actually pay attention how "cute" it was supposed to be.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • My bridesman got married this summer; his 1 year old was the ringbearer.  the RB's uncle (grooms brother) was an usher, he carried the RB in (b/c he was too antsy to walk a stright line on his own, haha).  It was adorable, because the RB was a little fussy at first and then as soon as he saw his dad at the end of the aisle he started giggling and clapping - cutest thing ever.

As PPs have said the wagon just sounds dangerous.  I'd vote for having the kid(s) carried in.  by who doesn't really matter (though if your moms are going to be part of the procession on their own that might be tricky?)  As PPs have said you also want to consider that they may need to be taken out of the church during the ceremony - do you really want your mom to miss your vows b/c she's babysitting? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards