Not Engaged Yet

Is it weird?

Is it weird to try on/buy a wedding dress even though it's not 'official' yet?
We live together and we are getting married. We've picked a tentative date(barring unforseen complications in 11 mons.), live together, and we're just waiting on my paperwork to be done for us to get 'engaged.' I want to 'spread out' the expenses and take my time finding a dress and not be rushed. But I feel a little weird having a dress in the closet and no ring on my finger. Even though it's not totally the case, I'm worried it seems a little crazy- like that episode of Friends where Rachel answers the door in a wedding dress.

Re: Is it weird?

• edited December 2011
    If you feel weird having a dress with no ring, then hold off on the dress.  My fam gave me a dress last November (crazy ex-cousin bought it for her wedding but never used it and jumped the country, leaving the never used dress behind-complete with veil and headband-SCORE).  While I did not go out and buy myself a dress, I do not feel weird having a dress with no ring.  My BF was there when this happened and is fine with the idea. 

If you are seriously going to marry your BF and you are both actively working toward getting married then it might not feel as weird as you may think having a dress and no ring.

ETA: A perk to looking for dresses now is that it'll give you more time to find a perfect dress,without feeling overwhelmed to actually buy one since you don't have a ring yet.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_weird-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:564786e0-8c74-4f5d-a9e7-8410fce11b85Post:9724d0c9-b7f0-42ef-b4cf-9cb998fad03e">Is it weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it weird to try on/buy a wedding dress even though it's not 'official' yet? We live together and we are getting married. We've picked a tentative date(barring unforseen complications in 11 mons.), live together, and<strong> we're just waiting on my paperwork to be done for us to get 'engaged.'</strong> I want to 'spread out' the expenses and take my time finding a dress and not be rushed. But I feel a little weird having a dress in the closet and no ring on my finger. Even though it's not totally the case, I'm worried it seems a little crazy- like that episode of Friends where Rachel answers the door in a wedding dress.
    Posted by Sarahkayfa[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Are you trying to get citizenship or divorce papers?</div><div>
    </div><div>You clearly don't consider your selves engaged as you said you are waiting for papers of some kind, so yeah it is weird to buy or try on a dress. You don't need to have a ring to be engaged, but apparently you feel you need some kind of paperwork to get engaged. It doesn't sound like you are waiting on a proposal, but rather something else. Just take your time and get engaged when it is right for you and if it takes longer than expected you might not be able to get married when you planned in your head. Life doesn't always work out that way. 

</div>

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yup, weird.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• meamollymeamolly member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    STOP DO NOT PASS GO DO NOT COLLECT TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS

Do not try on dresses or even seriously look until you feel you are engaged. That weird feeling you have is telling you this. Relax. Enjoy your relationship. As said by many many married girls, you will cheat yourself of the experience when you are ready if you continue. Plus styles change and all that jazz.

• edited December 2011
    Your ticker is moving by the seconds Audg. That would stress the crap out of me. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I can choose one that just says the days, but the our names are on the left and the hearts cover them up. Poopsauce. Eta: I don't know my left from right.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• edited December 2011
    Honestly, I don't think we internet folks can tell you what is or is not weird for you and your relationship. Though I'm inclined to say that the fact that you're asking an online forum if it's weird or not probably means that you're not comfortable with it.

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think that when you go shopping for your wedding dress it should be a fun and exciting experience but if you feel uncomfortable that will put a damper on the whole thing. I agree with the PPs that the weird feeling is what is telling you that you probably should wait until you are engaged to shop for a wedding dress.

I'm also curious about what paperwork you have to do to get engaged?

• desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Your reason for buying a dress now is to spread out the spending, right?

Isn't it just as easy to do this if you put the money in a savings account until AFTER you're engaged?

YES. So this isn't so much a reason as a rationalization. You're getting ahead of yourself. Slow down. Wait until you're engaged to buy a dress.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    Divorce papers. They're filed, uncontested, but not final. It'll be about 30 more days.
    My ex and I have been separated for a couple of years now & both of us consider ourselves divorced. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_weird-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:564786e0-8c74-4f5d-a9e7-8410fce11b85Post:3ad835a6-c61e-4a41-81d5-5c2fc7bc7a38">Re: Is it weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it weird? : I agree with Desert. It sounds like you're excited to be engaged and planning -- and maybe eager to have your divorce behind you if the proceedings have been drawn out for awhile and you're ready to move on -- but wait until you're actually engaged and planning . If you want to keep some money aside for the dress, you can do so in a special account so you're not tempted to spend it on other things. And if your papers will be finalized within a month and you know you're going to consider yourself engaged immediately thereafter, then you don't have too long to wait. :) Enjoy the anticipation for now, and save ahead if you want.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks :)</div><div>I've been 'in the process' for years. If it were just up to me I'd have finalized it in '08.</div><div>Adam and I have been waiting a long time to just get married, and we'll probably not wait until March (as is the current plan )</div><div>
    </div>
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_weird-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:564786e0-8c74-4f5d-a9e7-8410fce11b85Post:50fef0a3-44fe-421c-8ea3-ab9fe35abba7">Re: Is it weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your ticker is moving by the seconds Audg. That would stress the crap out of me. 
    Posted by SeaTea02[/QUOTE]

Me too...

EEEEK Audgie!!! Did you get your cake done yet?
  • SassyFlatsSassyFlats member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't plan a wedding before you are engaged.

When you are engaged (ring or not), then go hog-wild with trying on dresses and planning everything your heart desires.

You don't need a ring to be engaged, you and your guy need to agree that you are, in fact, engaged. Not waiting for something to happen before you get engaged.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers

Married to my best friend, making our way together through this crazy, mixed-up thing we call life.
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_weird-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:564786e0-8c74-4f5d-a9e7-8410fce11b85Post:9724d0c9-b7f0-42ef-b4cf-9cb998fad03e">Is it weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it weird to try on/buy a wedding dress even though it's not 'official' yet? We live together and we are getting married. We've picked a tentative date(barring unforseen complications in 11 mons.), live together, and we're just waiting on my paperwork to be done for us to get 'engaged.' I want to 'spread out' the expenses and take my time finding a dress and not be rushed. But I feel a little weird having a dress in the closet and no ring on my finger. Even though it's not totally the case, I'm worried it seems a little crazy- <strong>like that episode of Friends where Rachel answers the door in a wedding dress.</strong>
    Posted by Sarahkayfa[/QUOTE]

"I doooo...  well, that oughtta do it."

I agree with what pretty much every one else has said -- I just wanted to high-five you for the Friends reference.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes weird. Also weird to me that you're still technically married since you aren't divorced yet, but you are already going to have a wedding dress possibly.  So your divorce is not finalized, but you have a dress in your closet... hmm.

don't plan before you're engaged. END OF STORY!!
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes it's weird and "bad luck" if you're superstitious. Also, even though you have been married before and already gone through the whole engagement/planning/wedding thing (I imagine... unless you eloped), maybe your Mom, sisters, aunts, friends, etc. will want to go dress shopping with you??

I am the first daughter to get married so my Mom and youngest sister would have been crushed if I had already bought a dress before we got engaged. They enjoyed going dress shopping with me and had fun coming with me to pick it up when it came in a few weeks ago.

I also agree with Desert; if the issue is spreading the costs over a long time frame, sock away whatever you feel comfortable spending on your dress and let it accrue interest until you're engaged and ready to go dress shopping! Smile
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_weird-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:564786e0-8c74-4f5d-a9e7-8410fce11b85Post:6f9e127a-443b-4633-86d6-42c679b51257">Re: Is it weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes weird. Also weird to me that you're still technically married since you aren't divorced yet, but you are already going to have a wedding dress possibly.  So your divorce is not finalized, but you have a dress in your closet... hmm. don't plan before you're engaged. END OF STORY!!
    Posted by bourgehm[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS.</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Audgie, are you getting married at roughly 2 in the morning?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_weird-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:564786e0-8c74-4f5d-a9e7-8410fce11b85Post:189fd12d-656d-4cda-9cf0-aee444b4220c">Re: Is it weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>STOP DO NOT PASS GO DO NOT COLLECT TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS</strong> Do not try on dresses or even seriously look until you feel you are engaged. That weird feeling you have is telling you this. Relax. Enjoy your relationship. As said by many many married girls, you will cheat yourself of the experience when you are ready if you continue. Plus styles change and all that jazz.
    Posted by meamolly[/QUOTE]

LOOOVE this...also love the Friends reference.  But yes, it's a lil odd to do so since it seems rather clear that you're not considering yourselves engaged, or even divorced in all honesty...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    If you have to ask then yes it is weird.
  • marriagerocksmarriagerocks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm...you may want to take a little different approach to this relationship.  Have you done any premarital planning?  I'm guessing you would prefer not to end up divorced again, so why not slow down the planning and take a little time to make sure the two of you are good for eachother.  thinkmarriage.org has an online pre-marital class, as well as a tool called couple's check up. Both would be better investments to take your relationship to the next level than buying the dress.  ***Full disclosure: I am a relationship educator***
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_weird-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:564786e0-8c74-4f5d-a9e7-8410fce11b85Post:f991c319-5b6e-4770-a2cd-acf94e927d15">Re: Is it weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Hmmm...you may want to take a little different approach to this relationship.</strong> Have you done any premarital planning?  I'm guessing you would prefer not to end up divorced again, so why not slow down the planning and take a little time to make sure the two of you are good for eachother.  thinkmarriage.org has an online pre-marital class, as well as a tool called couple's check up. Both would be better investments to take your relationship to the next level than buying the dress. <strong> ***Full disclosure: I am a relationship educator***
    </strong>Posted by marriagerocks[/QUOTE]

Are you this judgmental with your clients? How do you know she needs to take a different approach to her relationship?  What do you know about her?

Just because someone is divorced doesn't mean the next marriage will fail.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • SassyFlatsSassyFlats member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dunno, I kinda agreed with the relationship educator- some sort of counseling or premarital class would be a much better "next step" than buying a wedding dress at this point. I honestly think premarital counseling is a good idea for anyone- regardless of their marital status.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers

Married to my best friend, making our way together through this crazy, mixed-up thing we call life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards