Not Engaged Yet
Options

NEY MD: Free Breast Exams? (Might Be TMI)

Does Planned Parenthood do free breast exams? I have looked online and the one closest to me offers "Women's Health Services" and I'm guessing that includes breast exams, and it says that no one would be turned away because of inability to pay, but I don't even have health insurance at this point, and I can't pay any sort of medical costs. I think I have a lump in my breast but I'm not 100% sure it's a lump and I'm scared. I have tried giving myself breast exams but my boobs are quite large so I can't tell if it's really a lump or something else. I also sometimes get sharp pains in my breasts and sometimes they are so sore I can't touch them. I know for a fact I am not pregnant and I have been having the pain on and off for quite a long time. Cancer runs in my family, and I'm scared. Does anyone else have any suggestions where I can get a free exam?

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg

Re: NEY MD: Free Breast Exams? (Might Be TMI)

• Options
    I would recommend calling a location in your area. In Michigan at least, the fees are on a sliding scale based on income.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing to worry about!!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I did a quick google search based on what your location says and found this:

It's off of an American Cancer Society page promoting free or low-cost mammographies. 

You're in my prayers, bella! 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    Ditto what everyone else said: Go quick and find out and good luck!! I'll keep you in my T&P!
    -Ely

• Options
    When I used PP in CA they based the fee on what your income was.  I was in school with no health insurance and needed BC.  I put on the form that I made less than $20K a year and I was able to be part of the state funded program which covered everything.  They only asked for a donation of whatever I could afford.  I would definitely give them a call and if they can't help you they could probably refer you.

You should definitely get that checked out.  My BFF was diagnosed at 24 and is lucky to be alive so it's better safe than sorry.  T&P coming your way :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    The girls all hit the nail on the head with the sliding scale. Most community health care servers operate with this. If you are unemployed most places won't charge you more than $20 or so for a visit. Get it done and get it done now. Also, if you need to ever use the emergency room, BEFORE you ever leave the hospital you tell them that you want to "Apply for community health benefits". This will reduce your cost to around a third of what you would pay for ER services otherwise. Still expensive, but much more in reach. You must use that term I put in quotes though...all about knowing the right words/phrases.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    Thanks, all. I'm going to get around to it this week, hopefully. I was going to wait until I found out if I was approved for unemployment, but if I can truly get an exam for free, why wait? What really concerns me is the pain in my breasts. I can't seem to find any cause of it. I hope I can get some answers.

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    The girls gave good advice but I just wanted to say good luck with everything, I hope everything comes back negative!
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ney-md-breast-exams-might-tmi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:56b3f02c-5977-47b6-b602-e0af6af9843cPost:7895790b-64e7-40ae-8ab4-4580c2c5332c">Re: NEY MD: Free Breast Exams? (Might Be TMI)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did a quick google search based on what your location says and found this: New Jersey Cancer Education and Early Detection Program : 1.800.328.3838 It's off of an American Cancer Society page promoting free or low-cost mammographies.  You're in my prayers, bella! 
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh, and thank you for this information, too =) I actually meet the requirement for a free/low-cost exam and there's a screening location about 40 minutes from me, which is about how far the closest Planned Parenthood is from me. So now I have two options. </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>EDIT: </strong></div><div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ney-md-breast-exams-might-tmi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:56b3f02c-5977-47b6-b602-e0af6af9843cPost:10602951-ecdd-4897-b461-fe6de590da47">Re: NEY MD: Free Breast Exams? (Might Be TMI)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have your cycles been weird? Come on/off BC? Gained/lost weight? All those things can cause breast pain!
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

<div>My cycles are always weird. I go months without a period. I haven't been on BC for over a year but I have gained weight, so that might be it. </div></div></div>

• Options
    Could be hormonal, I had a hormonal lump that went away within about a month, BUT definitely GO and get checked out. PLEASE! 

As Liv said PP has a sliding scale, being unemployed yours should be free of charge. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Go get it checked. Good to hear you have some options. Ill be thinking of you.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    Definitely get it checked out, but to ease your mind-most cancerous lumps are painless.

Most, not all, but hopefully that puts your mind at ease a little bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards