Not Engaged Yet

Quick cake?

Need some help.  Have to decide which cakes to taste by Monday. 

Please give me your favorite and your second favorite if you have one.  Bonus points will be awarded if these favorites go together, like in a cake.

cake (type of cake)

filling

icing
TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

Re: Quick cake?

• PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate with peanut butter frosting. /drool

Hm.. Vanilla with chocolate filling and chocolate with vanilla filling. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Marble cake.

Chocolate fudge filling.

Chocolate mocha frosting.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_quick-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:57b38ba1-5616-46ef-a05d-c6e0361f7a3cPost:7a4eecd8-3e89-4f5b-9361-7ee305d5cf6c">Re: Quick cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Marble cake. Chocolate fudge filling. Chocolate mocha frosting.
    Posted by Narwhal[/QUOTE]

That sounds yummy, thanks!
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287

My Blog

• hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    White cake with buttercreme icing and raspberry and chocolate ganache filling

Lemon cake with berry filling and lemon icing (I really like lemon)

marble with buttercreme filling and pistachio icing (it's a really pretty shade of green)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Don't tell anyone, because it would be totally BSC, but that's my dream wedding cake. Wink

I love marble cake.
    Anniversary
  • paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I am cake traditionalist. Chocolate cake. White buttercream icing. No fancy fruit fillings (I don't like my fruit and chocolate fraternizing). No plastic-tasting fondant. Just keep it simple.
  • edited December 2011
    The one thing you choose to be traditional about, paint... and it's cake. ;)
    Anniversary
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Paint.. I have fruit filling, but my cake is kickass.
    edited December 2011
    Narwhal - HA! So true. If we have an actual wedding, about 80% of the decision will be so I can have a cake. (He doens't care for cake either way, so that's all me.) Same with showers. If I agree to a shower (no no no) it will be for the cake.
  • edited December 2011
    I really want Baked Alaska.  We had it once at a party and it was so good.

That or coconut.  Or Red Velvet.  I like things not universally liked!

Oh also (we have a few more weeks) but I need an inspiration pic of a non-fondant cake to show the baker.  I have looked at a zilllion cakes and they all look the same.

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    Do you have the option of doing different tiers of different cakes? So you could have something different that you like, and then have something more universal.
    Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    What is Baked Alaska?? The fish? I like red velvet. Yum.
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I remember baked alaska as ice cream, coconut and fire.
  • edited December 2011
    definitely red velvet with cream cheese.....

or white cake with whipped cream frosting.....

Actually we are having both of those :)  We are having a small red velvet pretty cake to cut and then having sheet cakes from Meijer in the back (FI one request this wedding was to have Meijer cake....it uh-mazing) that is white with whipped cream.....delish!
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • edited December 2011
    Baked Alaska is awesome.  It's icecream cake lit on fire.  I don't think they can make it look like a wedding cake though and I"m sure the venue would charge me like a zillion dollars so it's likely out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baked_Alaska

Okay well work on inspiration cake photos next week, thanks all!

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    This is Baked Alaska.  I didn't know what it was either. This is so pretty!

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    For wedding cakes, I just love a simple moist, white cake. 

We had 3 tiers.
    tier 1 - white cake, custard filling and buttercream frosting
    tier 2 - strawberry cake, custard filling and buttercream frosting
    tier 3 - white cake, fresh strawberries and buttercream frosting

I love, love red velvet with cream cheese frosting for any occasion.  I also love chocolate with peanut butter frosting.  The local bakery (coincidentally, it is where we got our wedding cake) does an amazing champagne cake.  I requested it for my bridal shower, and I am hoping that it makes an appearance at my baby shower in a couple of weeks.

What kind of cake inspiration are you looking for? 
    We had buttercream, but again, it was very simple.  I do not like fondant.

• edited December 2011
    I'm coming with some pictures, you just wait! :D
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    The majority of these are buttercream, but some are whipped cream frosting.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Oh, where in the world did that AW come from?

Off to look for REAL inspiration cakes. 
  • edited December 2011
    Your cake is worth AWing, Mutley. I loooooove it.

Especially your topper.
    Anniversary
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Narwhal that's a terrible job researching, try harder next time :)
  • edited December 2011
    I know... I totally dropped the ball.
    Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I love the daisy one - the square with the blue-ish gray bands on the bottom? Daisies are bf's favorite flower. But we don't have 4 tiers-worth of friends.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    Our cake will be almond flavored (it's a very light flavor, not too nutty) with chocolate buttercream filling on two tiers, and raspberry filling on the bottom tier.

Buttercream icing, because fondant tastes like sugary glue.

As far as the cake design, I tried to find a picture but no dice. Each tier is different (one just scrolls, one just dots, and one a bit of both), and the center tier has our monogram (jBj).

It will be accented with the same flowers as my bouquet (purple, orange, and pink dahlias with a few soft orange and white roses throughout).

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_quick-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:57b38ba1-5616-46ef-a05d-c6e0361f7a3cPost:c0c1a826-4eb8-4073-b74e-09825691a790">Re: Quick cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The majority of these are buttercream, but some are whipped cream frosting.
    Posted by Narwhal[/QUOTE]

You're a doll!  I like a few of these, thanks!

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    No problem! It was fun.. I didn't think they could get regular frosting to look that smooth.  I hate fondant.
    Anniversary
  • tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI insists on Red velvet cake , I love it too so no complaints there , he isn't much of a fruit filling person but I REALLY want white or lemon cake with fresh strawberries for one layer , and we will do red velvet for another , and since we are planning on 3 tiers ( maybe 4 depending on who we go with) the others we have been deabting about are  vanilla with chocolate ganache or lemon cake with buttercream..ahhh all these are making me hungry now!

Alot of places are doing more buttercream , not just fondant now which is great. I've seen alot of places where it looks just as good as fondant but tastes better , so look around and I hope you find what you want ;)
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I vote anything chocolate.  I mean, really, people who don't like chocolate have damaged taste buds or something.  I don't think I go a day without some kind of chocolate - my boyfriend hides the Ghirardelli chocolate chips that I keep for baking cookies (none of that cheap chocolate for me!) but I always find it!

When we get married, my boyfriend's cousin makes the most amazing cakes and has already cornered me and told me he WILL be making our cake.  I plan on handing him swatches of the color scheme, and then letting it be a surprise!  But definitely no fondant.

If it wasn't for that, we probably wouldn't have a cake.  We really want an ice cream sundae bar!  Ice cream and chocolate (and preferably together) sort of rule our relationship!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards