Not Engaged Yet
Options

Hey all! Odd update and all that fun stuff.

I know I haven't posted in a while but I figured I'd drop in and say hello! I haven't even been lurking (I'm a bad knottie) and I'm wondering if there's anything huge I've missed?? I flipped through the FFF post but I don't feel that I feel caught up at all now :)

My long time boyfriend and I (you know, the one I was convinced I would marry) aren't together anymore. Still great friends, just not romantic. We were together just a few months shy of 5 years, so it would be crazy not to still have him in my life in some small way. We tried an "open relationship" a few months back. I didn't ask anyone on NEY for advice on that matter because I knew it was a stupid idea. If you and your SO are considering an open relationship, something's wrong. Also, if either of us had acted on the open relationship part with someone else the feelings of infidelity would definitely still be there...even with the whole fancy "open" attachment on the relationship. Eventually, the open relationship and relationship itself dissolved completely.

I'm sort of seeing someone else now. Nothing serious after such a long term relationship, but he makes me very happy. We have a lot in common and have very similar views on social and political matters as well as how a relationship should be. Generally, I'm happy with how everything in the relationship aspect of my life is going. As much as I love my ex boyfriend, there's no point in going through with a relationship and possibly marrying someone you aren't 100% sure on. He's going to make some girl extremely happy one day.

To any lurking newbs wondering why they get flamed on this board for pre-planning at a young age with their boyfriends, it's because these ladies know that those relationships sometimes don't work out. Perhaps I can be more of a wise-desert type one day :)

Well, that's the update with my life in the are relevant to NEY. I hope to start spending more time around here and catching up with everyone.

Edited for clarity
White Knot

Re: Hey all! Odd update and all that fun stuff.

• Options
    Aw, Alanna, I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, but otherwise I love the content of this post.  It sounds like you guys made the right decision and it's wonderful that you can still have a great relationship.  I wish all breakups went like that.

Do you have a picture of this new guy?
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the breakup, alanna, but you seem to feel that it's all for the best and I'm happy you're still friendly. I wish XBF and I hadn't ended so horrifically.

Where did you meet the new guy? :)
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hey-odd-update-fun-stuff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:5877de3f-68ec-4f40-a3e8-995c8c7a70b0Post:f8bb1217-2fc0-4db0-bf6c-f4f44c5eef16">Re: Hey all! Odd update and all that fun stuff.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aw, Alanna, I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, but otherwise I love the content of this post.  It sounds like you guys made the right decision and it's wonderful that you can still have a great relationship.  I wish all breakups went like that. <strong>Do you have a picture of this new guy?</strong>
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Elle gets right to the point.

Alanna I am sorry to hear about the break up but its definitely understandable, glad that it ended on a good note and that you both can stay friends.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your breakup. I know it must have been really hard after 5 years together. But it sounds like you're in a good place now, and I'm so glad to hear it. You know you're welcome to stick around even if you're not expecting an engagement any time soon. Wishing you all the best!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ditto PP.

Stick around!
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I actually don't have a picture of him and I yet!! One was taken at the party we went to last weekend and I've been stalking the woman's facebook to see when it's posted. He's a handsome guy though, has the whole facial hair, gorgeous eyes, and incredible smile business going for him. *blush* I'm still a little giddy and smiling as I type this.

You're all right, my ex and I are both in a better place now. If I had strung the relationship on I feel I would have become to bitter and he would end up hating me as a person. The timing was on point, and though unfortunate, it was best decision.

While I didn't get to "enjoy" the single life for long (and basically the first time since I've been of dating age), I'm definitely pleased with how things are going.

Thanks for all the positive vibes, everyone. Because my ex and I have so many mutual friends it's been difficult to spill to anyone who isn't totally unbiased. Also, even though my ex and I are still friends and he was my closest friend for so many years, my new relationship isn't something I think is appropriate to gush to him about. I'm going to take Desert/Nursey up on her invite to stick around because you're a pretty awesome bunch.
    White Knot
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the break-up but it's good to hear you are doing well.

• Options
    HI Alanna! I'm sorry to hear about a breakup, but it sounds like this one went about as well as one can. You have a great head on your shoulders lady! Definitely stick around, and share that picture when it finally goes up :)
  • Options
    Hey Alanna! I'm glad to hear you're doing well despite the breakup!! 

Ditto PP, I hope you stick around :)

• Options
    Sorry to hear about the break up, but I happy to hear about the new guy! Hope you'll stay and gush :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am sorry about the break up but it sounds like it was the right thing for you two.  Yes tell us more about this new year and please stick around.  I like you a lot! 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Sorry to hear about the break up but it does sound like it was for the best.

Please stick around!!

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I really did miss coming around here and feeling all the smile-y vibes.
    I'll love to stick around and catch up with eveyrthing, like these new Engagement Pony sigs!! :)
    White Knot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards