Not Engaged Yet
Options

Suggestions?

So today would have been BF's best friend's 28th birthday. He died a little over a year ago. Last year, it was only a couple of months after his death, so for his birthday a bunch of us went to a Yankees/Sox game in NY to commemorate (he was a die-hard Yankees fan).

I know BF will be a bit sad and pensive today, so I wanted to do something small to cheer him up and let him know I'm thinking about him. The more I started thinking of things to do (buy him a little present, make him a dinner he loves, etc), the less it felt right. I mean, I am all for remembering Aaron with happiness and not just sorrow, but I don't know what gesture will be appropriate. Knowing my BF, he won't really want to talk about it or make a big thing of it, so I want to respect that. I also don't want the day to pass without any notice, so I just wanted a very small gesture, and to let him be with his thoughts.

Any suggestions? Also, what do you all think of commemorating the birthdays/death days of loved ones who have passed? Is it sweet, heartfelt, creepy, unnecessary? I'm interested to hear people's thoughts.

Re: Suggestions?

• Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never done anything on sad days in which people have passed...I know that if it was me- I'd want them moving on and doing their thing.

However, I'd make Aaron's favorite dinner and buy his favorite beer.
    And I'd make a little toast at dinner, "To Aaron."

Sweet, Simple- but still acknowledging the day.

If Aaron was a girl- I would say plant a flower bulb, but not sure Aaron would appreciate that as much. ;) Unless of course...he had a secret love of dafodills.

Also- I know this day is hard for you too! Keep your head up! Aaron would want it that way. Love ya bunches!!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Suggestions?:
    [QUOTEHowever, I'd make Aaron's favorite dinner and buy his favorite beer. And I'd make a little toast at dinner, "To Aaron." Sweet, Simple- but still acknowledging the day. 
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

I was going to type out this exact same thing, but Lunar is such a rock star she beat me to it! :) 
  • Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    How about buying your BF a little yankees thing... maybe a piece of chocolate, or a headband, or a sticker... and just leaving him a note that says 'Thinking of Aaron (and you) today.'

Thoughts are with both of you today... I know it's got to be tough.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It depends on the person. My best friend passed away last year, and TBH I didn't want to be reminded of it all day. I went to visit her grave site, and I of course thought about her all day, but it was just too hard to do much else. I like Tiger's suggestion..simple and not overbearing.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI has a jack and coke with a twist of lime every father's day and on his dad's birthday to remember his dad who died in a motorcycle accident. It was his dad's favorite drink.

I marked the one year anniversary of my mom's best friend's death by calling both her and my dad to let them know I was thinking about them and to see how they were doing. And I'll be calling or visiting my gma in December when it's the one year of my uncle being killed. I definitely know that any big reminder of my uncle would push my gma over the edge, but it's going to be a rough day so I want to at least let her know that I'm thinking of her.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would keep it very small. Maybe just a big, extra long hug when BF gets home, tell him you love him and, as always are here for him if he wants to talk. He'll know why. From what you've posted before, Aarons death was very difficult for him, and he's still mourning. I would just let him know you're there for him, anything else might be too painful.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Thank you for your help ladies! I think I will keep it very simple for him - he asked if we could have BLTs for dinner, and I said of course, or I could make him something special. He said simple is key for tonight, so I will respect that.

I thought of taking a picture that BF loves, of him and his friend and another friend of theirs all doing the Captain Morgan pose, and editing and framing it for him. But I think I will pass, because I have no idea how he would take that. Unfortunately I have no way of relating to this in the slightest..I am pretty clueless on the matter and it's kind of frustrating to be so clueless :(

I think I'll leave it at BLTs and a hug.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_suggestions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:64e030f8-6f25-4358-a1ac-d441bd9b7106Post:c6189268-3df2-4a66-925d-a15d297c7b71">Re: Suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on the person. My best friend passed away last year, and TBH I didn't want to be reminded of it all day. I went to visit her grave site, and I of course thought about her all day, but it was just too hard to do much else.
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. I don't like to be reminded what day it is on the day my father died. I like to be left alone. I keep very busy on that day too, so I don't think about it. I only missed school on the one-year anniversary. But I go about the day as usual.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards