Not Engaged Yet
Options

Back from the Canary Islands *PIP*

'Ello ladies!

I know most of you didn't even notice I was gone, because by golly I am not a heavy presence here like I used to be.  But I promised that I would post pictures for some to see.  I had left for the Tenerife in the Canary Islands off the coast of Morocco back at the beginning of November.  It was about two weeks of SCUBA diving, hiking, sight seeing, off road ATVs and unlimited beer, wine and cocktails as well as food.  I'm surprised I haven't come back 20 pounds heavier.  I went with FI aka Danish Man to meet up with his family on Holiday there from Denmark.

The resort we stayed at was all inclusive and catered to Scandinavian people.  Never in my life have  I have seen so many fair skinned blond, blue eyed people.  I was so happy to come back to California to see some ethnic mix.  Being the only Asian there made me feel like a black sheep among the fluffy white ones.  So without further ado here we go!

Danish man and I arrived earlier than the rest of the family so we greeted them with the Danish Flag. 

On our way to the tour bus that would take us to see the Spanish Version of Medieval Times Dinner Theater (by the request of FI's Aunt who wanted to do this for the only child in attendance) I still had fun!

Spent four days diving and working on my next Certification.  I am now a Rescue Certified Diver Yay!  So proud that Danish Man got his open water certification.

Meet so many interesting people at the dive shop, my dive buddy was a guy from Holland, also meet others from Germany and Britain.  Below are  two of five dive instructors Lee and Craig.  They are from England and I loved their cute accents and slang.  Lee (skinny Ginger) flirted with me until he realized the Danish Man was my FI and then he stopped.  Hahaha... Got to see angel sharks, rays as wide as I was tall, dolphins, turtles, eels, octopus and brightly colored fish.

The effects of off road ATVs dust in all the most uncomfortable places.

Took a day of rest after diving so that we all could hike a dormant volcano called Mt. Teide.  The hike started off nice and then got nasty with having to traverse volcanic rock.  I got a bit dizzy from the thinner air but by golly I made it to the top.  Went from 2,200 meters to 4,850 meters at the peak.  2,650 meters elevation change in 5 miles.  I was one cranky person by the end though.

We stayed a day longer than the rest of his family so Danish Man and I ventured to the Northern End of the Island to the city of La Laguna, which I will say was very cute and quaint.  We found an awesome cafe with the most amazing coffee.  So amazing that we visited there 3 times in one day! 

Came home just before Thanksgiving and had to battle jet lag.  But it was one memorable trip but I do miss home and my puppy Maus! Plus I missed all of you, yes *points finger* you too!

Re: Back from the Canary Islands *PIP*

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Sounds (and looks) like you had so much fun!

• Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Looks like you had a lot of fun and good food! Glad to have you back too! : )
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    polkadot111polkadot111 member
    edited December 2011
    Wow, looks like you guys had so much fun!! Such a beautiful place! I'm jealous.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That looks like an amazing trip!  I'm jealous of your new certification, H and I were supposed to do our Rescue Diver this summer, but with the wedding stuff, we didn't get around to it, and I'm not about to dive in the cold water (we did that for our OW and it was awful, lol).

I actually did notice you were gone though, H wrecked his motorcycle 9 days before our wedding and I was going to ask you about when you crashed, but I didn't see you on.  Glad to see you were just having an awesome vacation and didn't leave us for good though ;-p
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Whoohoo!  Congrats on your rescue diver certification! :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    edited December 2011
    <3 your pictures!! I misses you...In FACT...I was just thinking yesterday if I could remember what you and "Danish Man" do for Christmas again. On each Sunday leading up to Christmas- I wanted to celebrate some other culture's traditions... and I was remembering that Danish Man has some fun traditions!!

I'm so glad you had a good time!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Love the pictures!  And I missed you!
  • Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Moto, that trip looks awesome! We missed you around here, and are glad you're back... I thought it was bad coming back from four days off, I can't even imagine 2+ weeks!! :) Welcome back!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    It looks/sounds like you guys had such an awesome trip!!!

Welcome back Lyn! 

• Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_back-canary-islands-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:67550949-ade5-4861-94c6-edd5f4837412Post:2487491b-4f96-4613-b2af-369fc1cd52f8">Re: Back from the Canary Islands *PIP*</a>:
    [QUOTE]That looks like an amazing trip!  I'm jealous of your new certification, H and I were supposed to do our Rescue Diver this summer, but with the wedding stuff, we didn't get around to it, and I'm not about to dive in the cold water (we did that for our OW and it was awful, lol). I actually did notice you were gone though, H wrecked his motorcycle 9 days before our wedding and I was going to ask you about when you crashed, but I didn't see you on.  Glad to see you were just having an awesome vacation and didn't leave us for good though ;-p
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

WAIT did I miss you AW of your wedding?  If so direct me to the post!  Second 9 days before our wedding I really hope your hubby is ok, what happened?  I lost traction on my back wheel in a left turn and skidded to the side, nasty nasty purple bruise on my left thigh and a swollen left knee.  Danish man got hit by a car on his bike and ended up in the hospital.  I have pics if you want to see the damage. 

We really couldn't pass up the diving.  It was the one thing I was looking forward to besides meeting Danish Man's extended family.  Hehehe...
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_back-canary-islands-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:67550949-ade5-4861-94c6-edd5f4837412Post:850d0cc9-d4c9-404b-a8e8-1fa1e741b7fa">Re: Back from the Canary Islands *PIP*</a>:
    [QUOTE]<3 your pictures!! I misses you...In FACT...I was just thinking yesterday if I could remember what you and "Danish Man" do for Christmas again. On each Sunday leading up to Christmas- I wanted to celebrate some other culture's traditions... and I was remembering that Danish Man has some fun traditions!! I'm so glad you had a good time!
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

We just celebrated the first Sunday in Advent.  Dinner was insanely delicious and the first stocking stuffer has been put into each of the siblings stockings by Danish Man's mom.  They have several fun traditions like holding hands and skipping through each room in the house singing to usher in good tidings in the house.  We do this on X-mas eve.  They also have a fun tradition/game at the dinner table where there is rice pudding with crushed almonds but one WHOLE almond is dropped in and each player gets a turn to mix the almond in.  Then every scoops whatever amount they want and start to careful eat the rice pudding looking for the whole almond.  The person that finds it (be careful not to chew it) whole wins the prize.  Danish Man is real good at this game and he usually will hide it under his hand and make everyone else continue to eat the rice pudding looking for it.  The big tradition though is the singing and dancing around the tree before opening presents.  This was quite an event the first time I did it with FI's family.

I love the idea that you are exploring new cultural traditions each week. 
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_back-canary-islands-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:67550949-ade5-4861-94c6-edd5f4837412Post:1149e10c-fbfe-4854-903f-c166e2d16c79">Re: Back from the Canary Islands *PIP*</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Back from the Canary Islands *PIP* : WAIT did I miss you AW of your wedding?  If so direct me to the post!  Second 9 days before our wedding I really hope your hubby is ok, what happened?  I lost traction on my back wheel in a left turn and skidded to the side, nasty nasty purple bruise on my left thigh and a swollen left knee.  Danish man got hit by a car on his bike and ended up in the hospital.  I have pics if you want to see the damage.  We really couldn't pass up the diving.  It was the one thing I was looking forward to besides meeting Danish Man's extended family.  Hehehe...
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

I have an AW post below - shouldn't be too far down the list since I think I posted in it today.

Yeah, he's not entirely sure if he just hit his front brake weird that caused him to lose traction, or if someone clipped his back tire, but his bike basically just came out from under him.  He dislocated his right shoulder, bruised some ribs on his left side, got some road rash on his knees (he was wearing shorts....) and sprained his left hand.  He probably also had a minor concussion since you can see the scapes on his helmet where he must have hit his head.  He was lucky though that he wasn't going that fast.  He wore a sling until the day of the wedding and hasn't really worn it since, but he is going to physical therapy to hopefully avoid needing surgery. 

The only thing that his accident affected wedding-wise was diving on the HM.  His doctor told him he probably <em>could</em> do it, but that he didn't recommend it because the weight of the BCD on his shoulder and the pressure if we did a deep dive could irritate it, so we didn't risk it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Your pictures are awesome!!  And I missed you.  Your hike looks awesome!  I am jealous!   :)
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Welcome back, Lyn! I have been waiting for your trip report.

Also, lol at your black sheep comment. Blonde, blue-eyed people are like aliens to me. They are very rare here.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow that looks so amazing!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad you're back! Looks like fun :)
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful pics, looks like it was a great time!

p.s. I still want to steal your puppy...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like you had an awesome time :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards