Not Engaged Yet
Options

Advice needed..

Today I picked up the bridemaid dress for a friends' wedding in July. When I tried it on the dress was pretty big on me still, depsite the fact that they ordered me a 14 in kids the same dress just the junior bridesmaid version.  The original plan was to go to my local tailor, get it taken in there.  I ordered the smaller dress with the intention it wouldn't need to be hemmed.  Now it needs so much work, I wonder if my local tailor will still be able to handle all of the alterations ok, or if I should get them done at the bridal salon?  Anyone with thoughts or opinions or who has gotten bridal gowns or bridemaid dresses altered I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions.

Anniversary

Re: Advice needed..

• Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a very good tailor and would trust her with any alterations, so if you like and trust your tailor, I'd say go there. The cost will almost always be less than at the bridal salon. So really, I wouldn't mind having done at the salon, but price is a factor for me and my tailor hasn't let me down once.

Now, if you don't know if your tailor can handle this, or you don't really have one you go to often, just one for standard things like hemlines and pant legs, I would maybe stick to the salon, even with the increased price. If your tailor has never actually taken something in at the hips/waist/bust for you, this is a much different thing than hemming a skirt, and bridal salons are accustomed to this work. And if it's a fairly large difference between what the dress is now, and what you need it to be, you most definitely want to go with the more skillful, secure place.

You may also be forfeiting any warrantee or return policy you have with the salon by going to an outside tailor, if the job is botched, so read your receipt on that. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should go with the tailor at the salon. I'm having a similar problem, my wedding gown needs to be taken in about 3 inches on BOTH sides. I have talked to other tailors, and they all say that the salon knows the way their lines of dresses work, and the best way to take in each dress. Therefore, they are going to do the best job at fixing the dress.
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It depends on who you think will do a better job/get it done faster. I would personally go to my seamstress over a salon, but if you don't already have someone you can trust you're probably better off sticking to where you bought it.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the advice everyone.  I am going to take the dress to my own tailor this weekend.  

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards