Not Engaged Yet
Options

Protein to lose weight

I've learned, so far, in my podcasts that I am not getting enough protein. Not nearly enough. I've also learned that having the correct amount of protein can help your metabolism by 30%.

To find out how much protein you need:
Your weight in pounds x .37 = protein in grams that you need.

So for me:
169 x .37 = 62.5 g of protein.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get in protein easily and deliciously other than the typical meats?

I know many of you talk about losing weight and many of you may not be getting the protein that you need either, so I thought I'd share.
-Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Protein to lose weight

• Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    For me: 

149.6 x .37 = 55.35g

So far I've had a bowl of cereal & some cantaloupe & I'm up to about 12.5g. The lunch i have planned has 12g & the dinner I have planned has 24.5g. Plus a banana as a snack later is 1g. So I'll be at 50g of protein by the end of the day (I also will have 10 WW points left somehow so I'll be trying to use those up & will hopefully get more protein that way.)

I found this site that lists good sources of protein & how much is in each, seems really helpful!! 

• Options
    amsmith1989amsmith1989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

As far as protein is concerned, I'm a huge fan of soy (being vegetarian and all will do that).  It's delicious and much much lower in fat than meat.  In addition though, those protein powders can be helpful too...just mix them into a shake with some low fat milk or a smoothie with fresh fruit.  My brother uses those powders a lot when he's trying to build muscle.

Hope this helps Smile

Follow Me on Pinterest Daisypath Graduation tickers image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Greek Yogurt! I cannot recommend Greek yogurt enough. I get the plain and pop it into the blender with some frozen berries and a bit of truvia. It's a great breakfast smoothie or a wonderful sub for ice cream on a hot afternoon. plus...it's PACKED with protein (like 12-15 grams for a 6 oz. serving).
  • Options
    chaysefaithchaysefaith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto was PP said about protein shakes.  My bf buys protein by the 5 pound bag.  And it seems really gross, but he just mixes it up in the blender with some vanilla ice cream and peanut butter cups and you can't even tell it's in there.  However, he gets more calories in two scoops of that stuff than I get all day, so you might have to be careful with that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tuna salad for breakfast is actually pretty amazing... just try it.

I also eat lots of eggs (cooked every which way), steaks, and nuts.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lean meats are good (think chicken and fish.. I've recently been trying out new fish and it is DELICIOUS), I like some peanut butter as a yummy snack (with good fat and protein), and I second the suggestion for Greek yogurt! It's so good and very filling! How about quinoa and spinach?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Instead of peanut butter...try natural almond butter. It's super tasty and better for you than natural peanut butter!
  • Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the ideas. And that website really had a lot of good info. I've never had Greek yogurt. How is it different than regular yogurt?
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    As far as shakes go, I recommend Mix1.  They come premade and bottled and you can find them at Vitamin World and most grocery stores.

They're legit delicious.  Not just delicious by protein shake standards.

Not all flavors are high-protein, though.  Some of them are basically glorified fruit juice, so make sure you check the label before you buy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_protein-lose-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:6e22cf98-f8ee-4b20-b97c-890fb22c7903Post:8eac4cd7-8f8e-453f-969b-0e21f8141133">Re: Protein to lose weight</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all of the ideas. And that website really had a lot of good info. <strong>I've never had Greek yogurt. How is it different than regular yogurt?
    </strong>Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

Here is a great link that explains better than I can:
    <a href="http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/yogurt-smackdown-greek-vs-regular.html">http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/yogurt-smackdown-greek-vs-regular.html</a>

ETA: I don't think plain, sugar-free greek yogurt tastes very good, but in an effort to watch my sugar and calorie intake, I add truvia instead and I find it's a lot less than the flavored kinds.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hummus!!
    5/27/12
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_protein-lose-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:6e22cf98-f8ee-4b20-b97c-890fb22c7903Post:8c807b82-e2ef-4eab-aa78-ba945bbed3e3">Re: Protein to lose weight</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Tuna salad for breakfast is actually pretty amazing</strong>... just try it. I also eat lots of eggs (cooked every which way), steaks, and nuts.
    Posted by NurseyK[/QUOTE]

I love tuna salad!! <3  Now I am hungry :(

<p style="margin:0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="line-height:115%;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:#1f1f1f;font-size:8.5pt;">OP.  I would eat more nuts and beans.  Chicken is also high in Protein.   There are also lots of vegan supplements that might help too!</span><font face="Calibri" size="3" color="#000000"> </font></p>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Greek yogurt has 20-25 grams of protein per serving, vs 8-13 grams in regular yogurt. I really like mixing plain (non-flavored) Greek yogurt with fruit, chopped nuts, and honey.

Also, if you are very active, you will need more protein than what that formula gives you. For example, if you are a marathon runner or lift heavy weights, you may need to eat as much as double what the governement recommends.
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_protein-lose-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:6e22cf98-f8ee-4b20-b97c-890fb22c7903Post:7d4f6976-92ab-4de0-9152-bad51752424c">Re: Protein to lose weight</a>:
    [QUOTE]As far as shakes go, I recommend Mix1.  They come premade and bottled and you can find them at Vitamin World and most grocery stores. They're legit delicious.  Not just delicious by protein shake standards. Not all flavors are high-protein, though.  Some of them are basically glorified fruit juice, so make sure you check the label before you buy.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

This is interesting....hm... legit delicious, hm?

What flavors do you like?

Hey- they are based out of Boulder, Colorado!!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_protein-lose-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:6e22cf98-f8ee-4b20-b97c-890fb22c7903Post:26c19050-7986-416a-81dc-ddc1fd224212">Re: Protein to lose weight</a>:
    [QUOTE]Greek yogurt has 20-25 grams of protein per serving, vs 8-13 grams in regular yogurt. I really like mixing plain (non-flavored) Greek <strong>yogurt with fruit, chopped nuts, and honey</strong>. Also, if you are very active, you will need more protein than what that formula gives you. For example, if you are a marathon runner or lift heavy weights, you may need to eat as much as double what the governement recommends.
    Posted by jessicabridie[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I do! I like to have it for breakfast. I'll chop up some bananas or berries or something to mix in with it.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_protein-lose-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:6e22cf98-f8ee-4b20-b97c-890fb22c7903Post:862b915d-726b-4259-9245-d49b40ef9f19">Re: Protein to lose weight</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protein to lose weight : This is interesting....hm... legit delicious, hm? What flavors do you like? Hey- they are based out of Boulder, Colorado!!
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

The blueberry and mango ones are my favorite, if I remember right.  I haven't bought them in a while because they don't fit into my current eating schedule very well.  Oh!  The Key Lime is great, too.

They taste like a fruity yogurt almost.  Like, imagine blueberry flavored frozen yogurt, but melted.
  • Options
    MidniteRaeMidniteRae member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually need a high protein diet, so the number doesn't come up right for me. I probably would barely be able to function if I only had 39 grams of protein. I eat a lot of peanut butter. I can't have dairy or eggs, so I get my protein by soy milk/hemp milk, peanut butter, fish, meat, hemp protein powder, protein bars, and so on. 
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_protein-lose-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:6e22cf98-f8ee-4b20-b97c-890fb22c7903Post:22202b26-3622-4497-8c0e-f74e9f6d144e">Re: Protein to lose weight</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually need a high protein diet, so the number doesn't come up right for me. I probably would barely be able to function if I only had 39 grams of protein. I eat a lot of peanut butter. I can't have dairy or eggs, so I get my protein by soy milk/hemp milk, peanut butter, fish, meat, hemp protein powder, protein bars, and so on. 
    Posted by MidniteRae[/QUOTE]

Midnight - I have a girlfriend that is lactose intolerant and she says that greek yogurt actually doesn't bother her even though regular yogurt does. I don't know if this is your issue with dairy or not...but just thought i'd mention it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards