Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

need help thinking of a plant for alternative unity candle?

So, for my wedding I am trying to make everything as unique and one-of-a-kind as possible. So, as an alternative to the unity candle or sand ceremony, I want to have a plant that we water with water from our hometowns- so it's like the water from both of our lives mix together to keep the plant alive, symbolizing our lives being entertwined forever. 
My problem is I want to find a plant that can be an indoor plant, but also have some kind of nice meaning behind it. Like roses = love, lucky bamboo = good luck, etc.
I want an indoor plant vs. one we can plant because we don't have a permanant home due to my hubby being in the military and us moving around a lot. 
I mean I COULD pick one to plant and we can plant it at his parents house... but what plant can we have? I don't want roses.... can anyone understand what I'm trying to do here and can help me!?!

Re: need help thinking of a plant for alternative unity candle?

• Peace lilly, spathyphillium, is an indoor plant with dark, dark green leaves and an occasional white lilly flower.  Peace is a nice theme, such as peace between you two, peace in the world for a military family, the peace of Jesus Christ....good luck!
  • I like that! I don't know much about plants except my favorite flowers haha. Are there any plants that are prone to a very long life? I'd like for that to also be symbolic too, like "love never fails".... this plant will never fail. I'm not sure if one exists. I had some kind of aloe or bamboo plant I thought would last forever (I was actually doing to use it!) and then last week half of it was dead! I think I forgot to water it, since it only needed water like once a month. 
    I want the pastor to be able to say something like, now that you've watered it with water from your lives, this plant will go on to live and prosper for as long as you do, and it will be there for your children... etc. 
  • I'm not sure about how long they live, but I have a dang hard time killing a peace lily. They are very hardy plants, and take well to inconsistant watering (at least in my experience.)
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I say peace lilly.  Put a few real flowers in tubes and put them in the planter also.  it will be a pop of color to go with your green plant.  They are hard to kill.  when the leaves droop you water them.  If the leaves turn yellow it is too much water.  Pretty easy.  my mom has had one over 20 years.
  • I've had good luck with getting orchids to rebloom. Just place in a not too sunny window, water twice a week and no pruning.

http://www.aboutflowers.com/flower-a-plant-information-and-photos/meanings-of-flowers/481-flowers-and-meanings-flower-meanings.html

• I have killed at least ten orchids.
  • I kill absolutely everything.  The only thing I've managed to keep alive is a Christmas cactus.  I've had that thing 10 years.
  • Rosemary is a traditional symbol of fidelity (plus, then you can use it for cooking!). If you're new to gardening, I'd recommend going to a store that sells plants and asking about what is hardy and easy to transport.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards