Options

Who's around?

13»

Re: Who's around?

• Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    Yaga - then have your RD when YOU want to have it.  Especially if you'd like to have a small get together the night before the wedding.  You will be having a rehearsal that Friday either way, right?

They don't have to come.  And if it's important to them, they will make arrangements and realize their pizzeria isn't going to go down in flames because they're not there for ONE DAY.

ETA: I think I mean go UP in flames?  Whatev.  I'm KUI.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:ff678776-2da6-47e6-a39c-f82825b68806">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I forget who asked the questions but, our wedding is in PA, we live in NYC, and our wedding party (well who we think we'll ask) is scattered.  My cousins are in PA, but an hour from the venue.  FI's side would be from Long Island and Philly I think - both about two hours from the venue.  Basically if we hosted something where we live EVERYONE would have to travel to that too, and it wouldn't make sense.   Yes that would mean our rehearsal would be a week before.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

<div>Gotcha. I don't see anything wrong with hosting something informal. I'm going to use the line that they're grown ups and can make the decision to pay for an extra night or not. </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: Ditto SKP. :)</div>
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:13dfcc03-ed82-4ab4-b7b2-00d28c749821">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yaga - then have your RD when YOU want to have it.  Especially if you'd like to have a small get together the night before the wedding.  You will be having a rehearsal that Friday either way, right? They don't have to come.  And if it's important to them, they will make arrangements and realize their pizzeria isn't going to go down in flames because they're not there for ONE DAY.
    Posted by SKP82[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  This.
  • Options
    My dog just died. I'm completely crushed. Holy sh!t.

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:a135c14c-b4f3-414c-9174-d9d96867f7ba">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dog just died. I'm completely crushed. Holy sh!t.
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

What?  Like JUST NOW?  What happened???

ETA:  Wait,  you mean like the dog you grew up with who still lives with your parents or YOUR dog who lives with you?
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:a135c14c-b4f3-414c-9174-d9d96867f7ba">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dog just died. I'm completely crushed. Holy sh!t.

:(

I'm so sorry.

This is the same dog you mentioned before, right?
  • Options
    Yea, my dad is on the phone with me right now. My mom called me this morning to say she had an upset stomach and my dad was taking her to the vet. Well I called my dad and we agreed to wait it out a couple days and see since there's been a tummy virus going around. My parents came home tonight and she was gone.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:97712e21-5477-4d9e-9a3d-213533b96b78">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who's around? : :( I'm so sorry. This is the same dog you mentioned before, right?
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>No, different dog... My parents were taking care of her for me.</div>

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:3082fa39-d81a-4e6c-bd59-21bfdf4147ed">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who's around? : No, different dog... My parents were taking care of her for me.

Ohhh no.  How awful.  Millions of hugs.

I'm tearing up for you right now. 
  • Options
    *hugs* I'm so sorry!

• Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:39b5d9bd-a064-4c4e-ac5a-79191726ca96">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You guys are right.  I'm going to talk to FI about working this into our budget.   Liv - There is already so much tension with how me and FI live our life compared to the rest of his siblings.  Everyone tells him that he "doesn't care about his family" and other related BS and he just lets it go.  (He's a goddamn saint for that, too.)  We haven't gotten TOO many comments so far, but we're the first in his family (like big extended family) to not have a church wedding, and that might become more of an issue as we get closer.  I feel like this could be the tipping point.  When we called his dad to tell him we set the date, his first reply was "A Saturday night, really?"  Yes we have 250 out of town guests on our list, the least we could do is not have it on a normal work day or the day before most people have to fucking work.   SKP - Our ceremony is probably going to be super simple, so a rehearsal won't be totally necessary, but honestly, I haven't thought about how I would feel without at least one run through.  Until now, that is.  It's making me a little nervous.  I think I'd want to practice once, just to calm my nerves or whatever.   Also - and this is totally lame and flameworthy - our venue is really, really nice.  But when his family hears that it's in the Poconos, they think it's some backwoods, rinky dink venue and it bothers me.  I sort of feel like they're down playing our wedding because it's in the Poconos or something.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Yaga, that sucks that his family makes comments like that to him.  Ridiculous. 

You know what?  They don't get a say of when you have your wedding or WHERE you have your wedding.  They're not paying for it and they're not the only guests who will be attending.  Sure, they are important guests, but what about YOUR family who may be inconvenienced to have a Sunday wedding?

If it makes you nervous to not have a rehearsal, then have one, even if your ceremony is "super simple."  Our ceremony will be simple as well, but I never questioned having a rehearsal because 1. I want to make sure we're all on the same page and 2. I want to have that experience of having those closest to us together the day before the wedding day, which will probably be hectic.  I want to sit down together with our wedding party, their SOs, and our immediate family and have a nice dinner together before the wedding.  That's important to me.  If it's important to YOU, then that's what you need to do. 

And about your venue, they can suck it and be shocked when they see how awesome it actually is.

BTW - this is something you're probably going to be dealing with FOREVER.  "Really?  You're having our grandchild's BDay party on a Saturday?  Really?"  Deal with it NOW.  Seriously.
    IMG_6364
  • Options
    audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    Ugh, this sucks. She was only 9. 

And SKP, my parents have four dogs at their house, now two. One was one that passed away last week, who was one that I chose from a shelter 12 years ago that became my mom's dog. Mia died today and I picked her from a litter. She was a christmas gift to me, but she was too old to move to my apartment with me last year and my dad wanted to keep her at home with the other dogs. Molly is my dog that I adopted a few months ago that lives in my apartment with me. 

Now that I have successfully downed the thread, lets pick it up a little. Any thing else y'all want to talk about? I'm game. I don't want to cry all night.

And Yaga, I really like SKP's last paragraph. :)

• Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Does anyone know if Mutley's gone into labor yet?
    IMG_6364
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:36fa7ab5-02f8-461e-bdbd-6baef7ed25ad">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh, this sucks. She was only 9.  And SKP, my parents have four dogs at their house, now two. One was one that passed away last week, who was one that I chose from a shelter 12 years ago that became my mom's dog. Mia died today and I picked her from a litter. She was a christmas gift to me, but she was too old to move to my apartment with me last year and my dad wanted to keep her at home with the other dogs. Molly is my dog that I adopted a few months ago that lives in my apartment with me.  Now that I have successfully downed the thread, lets pick it up a little. Any thing else y'all want to talk about? I'm game. I don't want to cry all night. And Yaga, I really like SKP's last paragraph. :)

I'm so sorry for you.  I haven't experienced this and never want to.  :(
    IMG_6364
  • Options
    I'm here. I just posted a NEY MD because I didn't want to thread jack. I need to go back a few pages and catch up!
    5/27/12
  • Options
    Thanks for the hugs, guys. This blows. Bleh. 

Night Liv!

• Options
    Good night, Liv!

Steph - I, for one, have no clue about Mutley.

Does anybody want to help me come up with a gift for my cousin for her baby shower?  I wanted to give her something that's for her, not for the baby.  I was thinking maybe some nice pajamas (for wearing around during those first few sleep-deprived weeks) or some bath stuff or something...  Thoughts?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:ec6f2b24-8517-4feb-8648-4589a9333ab3">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My laptop screen got busted, I'm completely overwhelmed, and I am desperately looking forward to putting this week behind me.
    Posted by hellotarra[/QUOTE]

Do you need your vaio back?
  • Options
    Elle - I like the pajamas idea. I'm a sucker for a soft pair of pajamas. 

Tarra - ugh!! Two more days. Two more days. Two more days. :)

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Aww I'm sorry Audrua :(

Bridesmaid luncheon...am I supposed to do this? lol
    5/27/12
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:78049d3d-a2b5-453c-b640-4dbb5d31926e">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good night, Liv! Steph - I, for one, have no clue about Mutley. Does anybody want to help me come up with a gift for my cousin for her baby shower?  I wanted to give her something that's for her, not for the baby.  I was thinking maybe some nice pajamas (for wearing around during those first few sleep-deprived weeks) or some bath stuff or something...  Thoughts?
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of some nice pajamas and bath stuff.  Or a spa gift certificate.  Though she might not be able to REALLY enjoy any of those things for a few weeks/months at the earliest. 

A basket of nice bath stuff, candles and a bottle of vino?  Haha. I would LOVE that, whether I had just birthed a child or not.
    IMG_6364
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_whos-around-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:79379be9-65b9-47c5-b381-50bef62c720aPost:76d3703e-3fe6-4506-a8a8-5b7a0ab2127d">Re: Who's around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who's around? : Will do lady. Yaga,<strong> I married into a large catholic Italian family! It's an experience.</strong>
    Posted by hellotarra[/QUOTE]

I was born into one ;oD Ok so I got home from baby sitting earlier than I though, so the blog is now being updated.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards