Not Engaged Yet
Options

S/O: Regular Registries

All this registry talk has me window shopping in my head...

(marrieds/engaged answer straight, non-engaged or non-registereds answer what you can hypothetically)

Where did/would you register?

How did you register (online, in store, etc.)? Did you do it together or alone?

What is/was on your registry (in general)?

What registry items did/do you really need?

What registry items did/do you not necessarily need, but you really kinda want?

What is your favorite thing that you recieved off your registry?

What's something you didn't register for, but you recieved, and you love?

What's something you didn't register for, but you recieved, and you have no use for?

What is something on your registry that you'll end up purchasing yourself if you don't recieve it as a gift (or already have purchased it)?

What's the best piece of advice you can give to those who haven't registered yet?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

Re: S/O: Regular Registries

• Options
    edited December 2011

BB&B and Crate & Barrel

We did ours together. We did our C&B online (we already knew what we wanted to register for), and we did BB&B in-store with the little radar gun. FI thoroughly enjoyed the radar gun.

Lots of cooking stuff, a few housewares. Mostly kitchen and dining though.

We really need new cookware and silverware.

A Dyson (the animal one), Kitchenaid mixer, a Soda Stream.

I love the non-stick cookware we've recieved thus far...I forgot how nice it was to cook with non-stick that was actually non-stick. I'm also highly infatuated with our slowcooker and the Dyson at the moment.

My FSIL sent us a fondue pot. We didn't register for one because there were things we needed more, but I'm so glad she sent it to us...we entertain a lot, so it will get put to good use.

What's something you didn't register for, but you recieved, and you have no use for?
    We got some cookbooks that I won't use that often, simply because we've been trying to lose weight and get healthier (so our Cooking Light and Weight Watchers have been in heavy rotation). But I will use them at some point.

What is something on your registry that you'll end up purchasing yourself if you don't recieve it as a gift (or already have purchased it)?
    Non-stick cookware, silverware, the dishware. We're seriously considering biting the bullet and getting the Soda Stream, considering how much money it would save us in soda alone.

What's the best piece of advice you can give to those who haven't registered yet?

Be sure to register across a wide range of price points - there will be people that can afford only a small gift, and there will be people that will want to spend a larger amount. Register for the things you truly need first, then add some things that you don't necessarily need, but that you'd really like to have. And don't think you have to register for something, just because it's tradition - if you know you'll never use fine china or crystal, then don't register for it.

• Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Canada has some crappy registry options, the American stores are only starting to get here. So, the options are The Bay/Home Outfitters, Sears or Bed Bath & Beyond are the only national ones I think.

It'll depend how involve FI wants to be, he is currently anti registry.

It'll be housewares stuff, ie kitchen, bedding, towels, etc.

Matching dishes beyond a set of 4 with glasses and silverware.

New bedding.

Not applicable yet

Not applicable yet

Not applicable yet

Not applicable yet

From a guest perspective,  a variety of price points is important.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're planning BB&B and Crate & Barrel.  We want to go in person to both so we can see quality and mix-and-match plates & bowls and see them in person first to make sure it all works together.

We'll probably go together to Crate & Barrel since they have a registration party where they give you food and wine and let you 'shop'.  I'll probably fill in the blanks that we don't find at Crate & Barrel at BB&B on my own because I don't think he has patience for two shopping trips.

Kitchen & bath stuff.  Mostly kitchen stuff.

Plates, bowls, silverware glassware - I'm really excited to have a cohesive kitchen!

Wine refrigerator - totally unnecessary, but we'll use it a LOT!

Furniture!  And the plates/bowls/silverware.  I'll buy new glassware, too, but if we don't get it off our registry, I'll probably just wait until we move so we don't have to worry about packing it.

I don't know that I'm qualified to give advice yet - I guess just what I've heard is that you need a variety of price points, and don't pick something that if you were shopping (and had money to burn) would think was not worth the cost.  I mean, you can ask for a $300 knife, but when you can't see the difference between that and the $30 knife, why bother?

Anniversary

• Options
    luvdncn90luvdncn90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where did/would you register? I am thinking that we are going to register at Bed, Bath, abd Beyond and maybe Target and Crate and Barrel.

How did you register (online, in store, etc.)? Did you do it together or alone? I definitely want to register together. Our tastes differ so we'll need to compromise.

What is/was on your registry (in general)? I want a lot of kitchen stuff, bathroom, and bedroom stuff, and wall decor.

What registry items did/do you really need? We definitely need kitchen stuff and new bedroom sheets and stuff.

What registry items did/do you not necessarily need, but you really kinda want? A waffle maker! Will I use it? Maybe, but I want it.

What is your favorite thing that you recieved off your registry? We're not engaged yet sooooo nothing.

What's something you didn't register for, but you recieved, and you love? n/a

What's something you didn't register for, but you recieved, and you have no use for? n/a

What is something on your registry that you'll end up purchasing yourself if you don't recieve it as a gift (or already have purchased it)? A new coffee maker. I lovveee me some coffee.

n/a
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I now officially am craving waffles. Thanks a lot. lol

• Options
    tmacwintmacwin member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    FI really wants to register at Amazon since he is such an online shopper.  So we might there and also either BB&B or Macy's.

Online we can do together first, and then I can fill in the holes at the store.

It will probably be mostly kitchen, bedroom, bathroom stuff.

a nice set of pots & pans would be nice.

I would love a Kitchenaid Mixer.  Also, new bedding would be nice.  FI's is somewhat outdated.  I like mine, but I have a duvet cover which is beautiful, but the duvet is such a pain.  The featherbed always slips and slides and it's a pain in the morning to make it look nice when I make the bed.

N/A

N/A

N/A

bedding!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Where did/would you register?  How did you register (online, in store, etc.)?
    Target - in store and online
    BBB - online
    JCPenney - online

Did you do it together or alone?
    We registered a lot of it together, but some I did on my own as well.

Kitchen stuff (all the way from pots and pans to utensils to a KitchenAid mixer!), bathroom stuff (towels, shower curtains, etc.) and some bedroom stuff to accent our furniture and comforter.  we also registered for yard/garden things and even a couple lamps and bookends.  we have been saving up money to buy what we don't receive off the registry after the wedding, so everything (within reason) we wanted for our new home was put on the registry.  however, we didn't put anything on there that we wouldn't buy for ourselves once the wedding was over or anything too untraditional.  the most untraditional thing we registered for is a couple of board games!

um...  at the risk of seeming like I'm an awful person, most of them.  it's easier to tell you what we won't need!  however, like I said earlier, we put everything on the registry (within reason) that we intend on purchasing later with the discount.  with the exception of the KitchenAid mixer.  ;)

What registry items did/do you not necessarily need, but you really kinda want?  the KitchenAid mixer... the trumpet bookends (for FI)...  the bamboo recipe box...  the cupcake decorating set...  the salad spinner and the herb chopper!

What is your favorite thing that you recieved off your registry?  nothing has been purchased from any of our registries yet.

What's something you didn't register for, but you recieved, and you love? N/A

What's something you didn't register for, but you recieved, and you have no use for? N/A

practically everything that we don't receive (or at least, as much of it as we save up money to purchase).

What's the best piece of advice you can give to those who haven't registered yet?  be flexible and check back often at the things you put on your registry.  we went and bought the entire set of plates/bowls/etc. that I REALLY wanted from Target because they were being discontinued.  I wouldn't have known if I hadn't gone back to check the availability of the items.  have fun.  let him hold the scanner for a while because you can always go back and delete the 15 bags of gummy bears that just so happened to appear on the registry!  :)  however, FI felt really involved and we had a great time together so it was worth the extra step of deleting the bags of gummy bears.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Crate and Barrel, Home Depot, La Z Boy

Probably will do this together

A decent set of knives, A sofa/ottoman, Patio furniture

Ice Cream maker.  :)

www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_regular-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:913a9d51-bd54-474f-a0ac-0a291cddbdbdPost:a607e0a1-05ee-4a5c-94c7-1a1194eb993f">Re: S/O: Regular Registries</a>:
    [QUOTE]I now officially am craving waffles. Thanks a lot. lol
    Posted by oceana919[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I was thinking the same thing. I want cherry pie filling and whip cream on mine. YOM!</div>
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want patio furniture and I want a dining room table and chairs, but I can't until we move because I have no idea the space I'll have to fill, and whether or not I'll have outdoor space.  I guess we'll just use what we get for gifts to buy what we really want after we move.

Anniversary

• Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, Target, BBB

PB , WS, and Target I did online alone.
    BBB we did together in the store.

Cookware, dishes, knives, towels, bedding.  the usual.

Honestly, we really needed a lot of it.

I kinda wanted a KitchenAid Mixer, but I am not a big cook/baker, so it wasn't as necessary as some other things, so it was okay we didn't get it. 

I love our PB dishes and our stainless cookware from BBB. 
    ETA: My mom got us the cookware for Christmas b/c no one bought it for our wedding, and his mom bought us the dishes. So thank goodness for the generosity of our moms! 

We registered for cutting boards, but my aunt and uncle got us a beautiful handmade one that wasn't on our registries. 

A veggie tray thingy for a grill. We don't have a grill, and I just use a cookie sheet in the oven broiler.

Honestly, I brought back a lot of odds and ends and exchanged for things we needed more, like sheets and towels. 

What's the best piece of advice you can give to those who haven't
     registered yet?
    If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't register at Target. We got so many Target gift cards, which really wasn't all that helpful when most of what we needed was elsewhere. Don't register somewhere b/c people pressure you to. Register at the places that have the most stuff you need.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_regular-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:913a9d51-bd54-474f-a0ac-0a291cddbdbdPost:94c09b66-80a3-439e-a1be-009d37db3c50">Re: S/O: Regular Registries</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O: Regular Registries : I was thinking the same thing. I want cherry pie filling and whip cream on mine. YOM!
    Posted by NurseyK[/QUOTE]

STOP IT...

::plugs ears and sings "la la la" at the top of her lungs::

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered at JC Penney and Target.

A little bit of both. We went to the stores together and picked some things then we looked online together and I added stuff both online and in the store by myself.

House stuff? Mostly upgrades to things we already had.

Kitchen stuff, our cookie sheets were awful, the new ones are fabulous.

My Kitchen Aid, so in love!

See above.

My grandfather bought us knives and cutting boards we didn't register for and threw us a little shower, just him and us, when he found out he wasn't invited to my big one. This was 2 months before the wedding and a month before he passed away.

What's something you didn't register for, but you received, and you have no use for?
    A desk drawer organizer. I returned it.

What is something on your registry that you'll end up purchasing yourself if you don't receive it as a gift (or already have purchased it)?
    There was a couple rugs we put on there not expecting to get as gifts but wanted the completion discount.

Put lots of different things on there in many different price points. You never know who will want to spend what.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As Hazel said - Canada doesn't have as much selection.  We're going with Sears and maybe Home Sense.  But definately Sears.

We went to Sears and the registry person wasn't there.  I think we'll probably just do it together online.  We have a running list of things to add.

Kitchen stuff, bedding upgrades, towel/cloth/bath upgrades

The majority of our kitchen stuff was given to me after my grandmother passed (from her kitchen) so with a few exceptions we need a LOT of kitchen stuff.

Kitchen Aid Mixer with ice cream attachment.

I haven't made it yet but my brother and sister heard we wanted new cutlery and got us a really nice set for Christmas.

Can I say that my FMIL got me this AMAZING crystal cake stand for Christmas.  It's not something I would have thought of but I LURVES it.

Nothing yet!

Knife set

Iunno.  What can you tell me?;)

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    SassyFlatsSassyFlats member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We registered at Crate and Barrel because I LOVE what they have- even though we don't have one nearby. Only a couple of folks ordered stuff from there. :(

We also registered at JCPenney and Target. Those were decent options, but a vast majority of our gifts came from Target.

How did you register (online, in store, etc.)?

Both- we did Crate & Barrel online, obviously. JCPenney and Target in-store, but we used the websites to keep everything updated.

Did you do it together or alone?

Together initially, but I updated things that were discontinued/out of stock.

Lots of kitchen & dining room stuff- things that MATCHED, unlike our mish-mash of college-type stuff. Also, some bathroom sets (we have 3 bathrooms in our house... we needed to put things in them!), and bedroom stuff- comforter, sheets, pillows, etc.

We really didn't NEED a whole lot. I had lived alone and DH had things from college, we had "stuff," but nothing nice. I think we really NEEDED new knives and towels... but we could have gotten by with what we had otherwise. It just wasn't pretty. lol

I really WANTED our bedroom set and dishes.

What is your favorite thing that you received off your registry?

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer! I didn't think I'd see what all the fuss was about, but I registered for one and my friends chipped in to buy it for me. It's kind of awesome. I don't use it a whole lot, but it's SO handy for mashed potatoes and cookies and all kinds of things I haven't been able to make yet!

What's something you didn't register for, but you received, and you love?

I love the personalized photo frame my friend got for us. It has our names, wedding date, and says "It doesn't matter where you go in life, what you do, or how much you have... It's who you have beside you."

What's something you didn't register for, but you received, and you have no use for?

Crock pot, ice cream maker, and a microwave rice/veggie steamer that doesn't fit in our microwave. None of those things are bad on their own... and were honestly cool when we got them... but we haven't used them more than a time or two.

What is something on your registry that you'll end up purchasing yourself if you don't receive it as a gift (or already have purchased it)?

We bought A LOT of things. We used the money/gift cards we got to buy living room furniture. We also bought dinner and salad plates. Still need to buy bowls and serving dishes someday. Bought our comforter and sheets... I don't know what else.

Don't bet on it. I hate to sound ungrateful, because I'm not. I really appreciate all the things we got. I had a wonderful wedding and enjoyed spending time with people I love. But I think maybe I did the registry wrong or something. Or maybe it's just our luck (very possible, DH and I both have terrible luck with parties and holiday events). We hardly got any of the basics. At my bridal shower, I got one item from my registry. I followed advice from other brides, and I checked websites for ideas and tips... I did my best. But we were left buying a lot to set up our home. One of my friends commented that she felt "bad" for me. That was a little embarrassing, lol.

Just don't expect to get a lot from your registry, much like not expecting a proposal. Be pleasantly surprised if it happens, but be prepared to just have a great time with friends and family just in case you get 3 bridal shower gifts.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers

Married to my best friend, making our way together through this crazy, mixed-up thing we call life.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would register at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Crate & Barrel.

I can't answer any of the other questions, but I suspect that BF and I will probably first be living together when we get engaged (due to finances and stuff) so I'll be registering for a LOT of stuff - kitchen appliances, china, silverware, glassware, flatware, bathroom and bedroom accessories like towels, sheets, etc.

I'm giddy with excitement. Kind of.
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Bay/Home Outfitters for sure, maybe BB&B. There's a majorly lame selection of places to register in Canada (as Hazel said)...you can't even register at Canadian Tire anymore :(

I think I'd like to go into the store with the gun, and with BF (who should be FI at that time).

House stuff. Most of our current kitchen wares are either hand-me-downs, or from the dollar store. We don't have any nice bathroom stuff, and we could use some new sheets and things like that. Maybe even a new lamp, or vase, or mirror or something as well. I guess we'd need some larger stuff as well, so perhaps some kind of furniture...

Well, we technically don't need anything. We've been surviving quite well with the stuff we have for the past year or so. That said, an upgrade would be awesome! By the time we get married, I expect some of the original dollar store items from when I lived in residence will be in very sad shape. 

Fancy kitchen appliances (a la Kitchen Aid).

Cutting boards. I own exactly one. It's also from the dollar store. I should just go buy some now (since, ya know, I'm NEY), but I never think of it when I'm out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Fi's favorite store in the world: Bed Bath and Beyond

In store with FI and FMIL

Small appliances, gadgets, wall art, dishes

Nothing really, although some matching dish ware would be nice,

Wall art

N/A

N/A

N/A

Practically everything.  I can't wait to use the 10%

If you do it in store, give yourself plenty of time.  We were there for 2 and a half hours.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Macy's, BB&B, Pottery Barn

We went together, in the store. We went 2x. First to look at everything and compare (compare styles of glasses, flatware, etc.)

Lots of kitchen items. Small appliances. Home decor. Beddings and linens.

Vacuuum! Other stuffs.

Pretty home decor - baskets, candles, lanterns, throw blankets, etc.

My breakfast in bed tray! It inspires my hubby to make me breakfast!

This book that you fill out on every anniversary and tell about that year of your marriage. So cute!

Hmmm. It's not that we didn't NEED the things, we just already had them.

Our china! I love it!

Pottery Barn was overrated. Most things we got from them were broken and needed to be returned.
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BBB, Target, and Crate and Barrel or William Sonoma

I think FI is more excited about registering than I am so we'll probably do in store together

Probably kitchen crap.

Everything except a mixer and Kuerig machine.

Margarita Blender and a Dyson.

The Margaritaville blender. 
  • Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't really have much to contribute to this, because we haven't gotten around to registering yet (FI wants to register at REI). . . but I wanted to say (since I haven't been around a lot lately)  

ZOMG OCEANA 1 WEEK and 4 DAYS?!?!?!? How did THAT happen?? Yayyyyyyyyy!!! Smile
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    <strong>Where did/would you register?</strong>
    Just Amazon.com so far.

<strong>How did you register (online, in store, etc.)? Did you do it together or alone?</strong>
    Online, since Amazon doesn't have stores. I was bored one day, put some things on there, showed it to FI and gave him access to add/remove at will.

<strong>What is/was on your registry (in general)?</strong>
    It's so short, I can give you actual:
    vacuum, knives, dishes, servingware, and a stick blender

<strong>What registry items did/do you really need?</strong>
    None of them, but I've been threatening to replace the vacuum for at least a year now

<strong>What registry items did/do you not necessarily need, but you really kinda want?</strong>
    vacuum (it's a Hoover Platinum) and the stick blender

<strong>What is your favorite thing that you recieved off your registry?</strong>
    N/A

<strong>What's something you didn't register for, but you recieved, and you love?</strong>
    N/A

<strong>What's something you didn't register for, but you recieved, and you have no use for?</strong>
    N/A

<strong>What is something on your registry that you'll end up purchasing yourself if you don't recieve it as a gift (or already have purchased it)?</strong>
    The vacuum, but we might get a less expensive Hoover

<strong>What's the best piece of advice you can give to those who haven't registered yet?
    </strong>I'll get back to you when I have advice. For now, I'll take it.  =)

ETA:
    [QUOTE]
    <strong>Kitchen Aid Mixer with ice cream attachment.[/QUOTE]
    <strong>
    </strong>Paige, I got the ice cream attachment for my parents a few years ago. It's awesome. You do need a big freezer to keep it in, though.
    </strong>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards