Not Engaged Yet

Geography rant

I can't explain how much this post bothers me, read until you get to the part about Uganda:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dinner-1-1

If "war is God's way of teaching Americans geography" (Ambrose Bierce) then apparently we need to go start a war in Uganda.

On a semi-related note, I always teach a unit on musical traditions in West Africa to my students... and I always have to correct the teaching assistants (adults) in my room when they try to tell the kids that Africa is a country.

How about the girl from Alabama that asked my boyfriend if he has running water in his country? He is from Germany.

This sort of thing makes me want to rip my hair out. 

Re: Geography rant

• edited December 2011
    Heres a question for you, how come alaska and hawaii have such different climates when they are next to each other on the map....this was a college student in my geography class I took. And another girl asked if the official language of Canada is canadian. People are clueless, even about their own country. I moved from CT to WA...no one I talked to CT even knew where WA was, and some only think there is Washington DC, not an entire state called Washington. But it works the same way, my cousin in TX didn't know CT was a state.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, that's all really sad! 
    imageimageAnniversary
  • ramora13ramora13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from Vancouver (BC not WA) and a local radio host wanted to show that not all Americans are ignorant about Canada by calling a random business and asking if they knew the 2 official languages of Canada unfortunately for the radio host his plan backfired. While the guy in Texas did get that French is one official language his other guess was German... even though the entire conversation was in English.
  • edited December 2011
    Unbelievable. Just ridiculous. I can't say that I am a geography wiz but I think I know as much as an average American should. Maybe a bit more now that I teach some refuge students.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *face palm*
    Don't get me started on Geography.  I know most of you girls know at least a little about Canada...but seriously I've run into some stupid effin' people that are like "OMG you live in Canada?!  Do you like fish all the time?  Do you hunt Moose? When did you get the internet up there?"

It pisses me off...I'm like #1 I've been fishing three times in my life.  It's BORING. #2 Only about 100 moose hunting license are issued a year.  And Moose are terrifying.  Why would I want to hunt them?  Also, I live in the largest City in Atlantic Canada.  I have no moose. #3 I've had the internet for over 10 years.  We got it when I was 12 or 13...so yeah 11 or 12 years ago.  *sigh* some people are just dumb.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_geography-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9a86b88e-8c7e-4bcc-90d4-b98900f74c2dPost:25d44116-8139-43a1-a060-6efb0d48bb30">Re: Geography rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]While the guy in Texas did get that French is one official language his other guess was German... even though the entire conversation was in English.
    Posted by ramora13[/QUOTE]

This is so sad and yet so funny!

I used to be a Spanish major in high school and early college. I was talking to my aunt about learning Spanish in class versus being immersed in the language when I spent 4 months in Mexico after high school. Her response?

"Wait, you speak Mexican TOO?!"

She was dead serious. She thought I spoke three different languages. English, Spanish, and Mexican.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and you would be surprised how many people in the US think NY state is just NYC. I met these guys on vacation once and they asked if it was weird seeing trees. I was like, huh? And they said, "well New York doesn't have trees right?" Oh no. You're right. The Adirondack National Park, bigger than Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, Grand Canyon and Great Smokies combined, doesn't have trees.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    LOL. A former coworker of mine was studying for the U.S. Citizenship test, and she asked another coworker (a Stanford-educated, US-born, smart 23-year old) if there were 50 or 51 states. The girl who really should have known better said, "51."

By the way, is it sad that most of what I know about Canadian geography is a result of watching the NHL? And I can sing "O Canada" from memory.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At least you have some knowledge of Canadian geography. PaigeMcC when I was in Scotland I was asked if I had ever seen a bear, if we had magazines and the classic if I live in an igloo.
  • edited December 2011
    Leia- all I know about Canada is NHL related, too!
    imageimageAnniversary
    edited December 2011

I'm glad the NHL can educate you folks.  I always knew Hockey was educational!

I've been asked if we live in igloos.  That one is just silly.  I've also been asked if I've ever clubbed a seal (becuase I lived in Newfoundland for 4 years).  And no, I haven't.  They don't club anymore, they shoot.  Clubbing is too messy.

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually they still do club, I was just in Labrador last winter. They don't shoot because it ruins the pelt. It only takes them one hit so it's not messy or cruel for those wondering. I learned so much when I was there, they have bumper stickers that say "Eat Seal Wear Seal" to promote using everything. But mybe they do both now.
    edited December 2011
    Really? My friend's dad is a hunter in Lab. and he said that he doesn't club.  He said the easiest way is a bullet to the head.  *shurg* I don't really care either way.  Seals are delicious and warm. lol

Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    FI is a native Canadian, so it's often fun to pick on him about his instinctive need to chop down trees and become an Ice Road Trucker. :D

But in all seriousness, I love when people from out of state are like, "So, you're from Wisconsin... How many cows do you have on your farm?" Guhh.
    edited December 2011
    rofl
    Chickadee I totally want to be an ice road trucker...but it's so damn cold up there!

But seriously how many cows do you have? LOL no no I kid I kid....

Murried Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards