Not Engaged Yet
Options

Seaking of Registries...

My nieces mother (brothers ex) had a gift registry for her baby shower last May when she was pregnant with my niece.  Pretty standard stuff right?  Then last Christmas she set up a registry for my nieces presents so that people would know what she needs (diapers, clothes, books, toys etc.)  I thought this was odd but bought off the registry any way and gave her a hand knit blanket that I made.  Now she just set up a gift registry for my nieces 1st birthday, for the same standard stuff and all 3 were at target.

Now is it just me, or does that seem like a bit much?  I don't think I'm buying on the registry this time I have another gift planned; but would you continue to purchase things off a registry for each occasion like this?  Would you create a registry for each occasion?  TIA! 
Daisypath Vacation tickers 4 Leaf Clover

Re: Seaking of Registries...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This sounds a little weird. Baby shower, sure.  Christmas and birthdays... not so much.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • Options
    IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    That seems a little excessive. I suppose I can see her reasoning behind, getting what SHE wants for her child, not necessarily what her child would want, orwhat other people think is appropriate, etc.
    However, I like being creative in my gift giving. I try my hardest to match the individuals personality...even if they are young children, they have their own personality. I also like to have little things that are just between them and I, for example, my oldest sister and I have a coffee cup collection. So each year we buy each other coffee cups...she knows what she is getting essentially, but it's different.

You shouldn't ask people to stifle their creativity! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a good idea for relatives and friends that might not get to see the child often. Ever get a sweater or pair of socks from grandma? The registries would prevent that:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I used to make Christmas/birthday wish lists for my parents, but they wouldn't go to extended family. That does seem like a bit much. But no one's being forced to buy from it, so no harm done.
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would make wish lists for Christmas/birthday (same day sooo yeah...) for my Grandpa at his request.

This does seem like a bit much to me. If someone wants to know what to get, they can always ask the mother.

Sparrow, if I were you I wouldn't buy off the registry if you have something else planned that's nice. I'd buy off a registry (even if I did side-eye it a bit) if I didn't know what else to get.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's technology's new "wish list". I can't say that I would do it...but I do see that it could be handy. Shopping for people you may not know very well, relatives who live long distances or during holidays when your creativity may be tapped out - it could be a life saver to just grab something off the list. I also think it could be handy for kids b-day parties...no duplicate gifts and family/friends don't have to guess what's appropriate for your child's age.

But like I said, not sure that I would do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Registries are for weddings and babies. I've heard of people maintaining "wishlists" on their favorite website that people can pick gifts off of, but not registries.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks the opinions ladies they do help me see it in a more favorable light.  I did the Christmas/Birthday wish list too, (2 weeks apart for me) and the idea of it seems on about the same level, I've just never seen it done like this before.  And the birthday registry is for almost $900 worth of presents, so it just gave me that grabby feeling you know? 

But I have been working on a poem for Aly (niece) so I might have a friend write it in calligraphy and frame it for her bedroom, as well as a couple of books and toys that I bought.  :) 
    Daisypath Vacation tickers 4 Leaf Clover
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_seaking-of-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9cd06c85-37ea-464b-9189-97b92f6dc591Post:45dd9b47-2156-4531-85e9-af314e109081">Re: Seaking of Registries...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks the opinions ladies they do help me see it in a more favorable light.  I did the Christmas/Birthday wish list too, (2 weeks apart for me) and the idea of it seems on about the same level, I've just never seen it done like this before.  And the birthday registry is for almost $900 worth of presents, so it just gave me that grabby feeling you know?  But<strong> I have been working on a poem for Aly (niece) so I might have a friend write it in calligraphy and frame it for her bedroom</strong>, as well as a couple of books and toys that I bought.  :) 
    Posted by Sparrow87[/QUOTE]

Sparrow, I think this is such a sweet idea! I think anyone would appreciate a thoughtful gift like that!!
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_seaking-of-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9cd06c85-37ea-464b-9189-97b92f6dc591Post:45dd9b47-2156-4531-85e9-af314e109081">Re: Seaking of Registries...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks the opinions ladies they do help me see it in a more favorable light.  I did the Christmas/Birthday wish list too, (2 weeks apart for me) <strong>and the idea of it seems on about the same level, I've just never seen it done like this before</strong>.  And the birthday registry is for almost $900 worth of presents, so it just gave me that grabby feeling you know?  Posted by Sparrow87[/QUOTE]

Except I think one of the main differences that sets them apart is that wishlists were requested by the giver. There seems to be a different attitude between the two.
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Doesn't anyone else think it's odd that she is requesting diapers?  That seems inappropriate to me.  Diapers are something you provide as a parent for your child, not something someone should give as a gift to your child on Christmas or her birthday.  It would be like me registering for groceries, toilet paper, or laundry detergent.

BF and I keep a document on his computer entitled "wish list," but it's only for the two of us.  We started it because when it came time for gift-giving (Christmas and birthdays), neither of us could ever think of what we wanted.  So we started keeping this list to add things that occasionally cross our minds that we might like.

I do not see the registry and a "wish list" as the same thing.  Register for weddings and baby showers, not Christmas and birthdays. 
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards