Not Engaged Yet
Options

WR: Which Venue?

Seriously guys, I want to book my venue, like, yesterday.  But I suck at making decisions and I'm feeling particularly annoyed by it today because, as I mentioned in my other post, I have nothing but web-surfing to occupy my mind right now.

So, if you're bored and feel like talking weddings... if it were YOUR wedding, and price wasn't an issue (we can dream, right?), and you were getting married in the Texas summer, which of the following venues would you choose?

1.  One World Theater.  Click here for website.

2.  Four Seasons Austin.  Click here for Style Me Pretty feature.

3.  Nature's Point (the one I gushed over when I first saw it back in April).  I'm leaning away from it, because I don't think the gorgeous scenery will be that enjoyable when everyone is sequestered inside to avoid the ridiculous heat.  Website clicky.

Re: WR: Which Venue?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i LOOOOOVE the theater venue. i actually 'ooh'ed outloud at work.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Owl!  That's my frontrunner right now, too!
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    If the lake venue will be too warm to enjoy then I definitely go with the theater.  It is a gorgeous venue.
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ugh. This is super hard. I'm a huge fan of nature...and each of these venues are really charming.

So which do you think has better food and wine?

These the pictures I like- one from each venue. Totally not helpful.

Oh...but I also love this one:

Hm...I would pick the lakehouse.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the theatre. Maybe it is my melting my snow covered heart or something because it looks unique to me. Maybe it doesn't look unique for Texas though?
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I would say the lakehouse as well.  It is beautiful inside and has so much character!  The theatre is nice, but the only part I love is the old looking door (outside). 
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a098956e-b976-47de-b8f5-71e8944c72bbPost:090337be-1859-4888-8a96-3f64c5f55d79">Re: WR: Which Venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the theatre. Maybe it is my melting my snow covered heart or something because it looks unique to me. Maybe it doesn't look unique for Texas though?
    Posted by Hazel_B[/QUOTE]

It's definitely unique.  That's one of my favorite things about it.  I feel like people will generally not have been to a place like it before.

There are several other unique, eccentric places in Austin, but the rest of Texas is all banquet halls and hotels.
  • Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Elle - The lakehouse is really pretty too. I think it depends on the vibe you want for the wedding. Have you decided on the feel you want?
  • Options
    LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I voted the theatre. It is so unique and pretty.
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a098956e-b976-47de-b8f5-71e8944c72bbPost:17245f4c-0e6c-40f4-bdd4-7340f5b38bb5">Re: WR: Which Venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Elle - The lakehouse is really pretty too. I think it depends on the vibe you want for the wedding. Have you decided on the feel you want?
    Posted by Hazel_B[/QUOTE]

We originally wanted a lakeside venue and the accompanying summer fun vibe.  That was the first thing we ever talked about.  Then we went to see Nature's Point and fell head over heels.  When we started being more realistic in our planning, though, we realized a couple of things.

1.  We have to get married in June or July because Nick's med school schedule does not give him as long a summer as we anticipated.  When we first talked about the lake thing, we were thinking late August/early September, when it's starting to cool off.   June in Texas is HOT.  Our favorite things about Nature's Point are outdoor features, which may not actually be enjoyable in the Texas heat, so essentially we'd just be getting a pretty cottage.

2.  It's a PITA to get to.  Look up Lake Travis on a map and you'll understand why.  I'm not sure I want to subject our guests to that.

So then we expanded our search a little, and I found the theater.  And now here we are...
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm torn. I like both the theater and the lake house. Would you be able to take advantage of the lake house at night? The temperature might cool down after the sun sets, and I bet the view of the lake and any nearby lights would be awesome.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a098956e-b976-47de-b8f5-71e8944c72bbPost:8988c833-8603-4519-a504-b4090fcd84fc">Re: WR: Which Venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm torn. I like both the theater and the lake house. Would you be able to take advantage of the lake house at night? The temperature might cool down after the sun sets, and I bet the view of the lake and any nearby lights would be awesome.
    Posted by sparkles88[/QUOTE]

I've thought about that, too, Sparkles.  Austin does cool off significantly after sunset... most of the time.  It's just no guarantee.  Maybe I should try to crash a wedding there this June and see what it's like?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm completely in love with the lakehouse venue..it's so my taste. If you think it will be ruined because of the heat though I really like the theater as well!

Blah I hate Pittsburgh..we have no cool venues!
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a098956e-b976-47de-b8f5-71e8944c72bbPost:e7d56646-df75-4185-9fb3-ea79e16921bb">Re: WR: Which Venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm completely in love with the lakehouse venue..it's so my taste. If<strong> you think it will be ruined because of the heat though I really like the theater as well!</strong> Blah I hate Pittsburgh..we have no cool venues!
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

I second this!
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I like the lakehouse, but I understand some of the concerns, especially the logistics of getting there. If it's going to be too hot/impractical, then I would vote for the theatre.
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I like 1 & 2.  Meh I am bad at choosing.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the theater, but what would u expect a theater person to say

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Here are some cool places that I found in Pittsburgh:

FallingWater-

http://www.fallingwater.org/57/weddings

Camp Kon-A-Kwee in Zelienople, PA.

I think this fireplace is AH-MAZING!

Phipps Conservatory in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh
    http://phipps.conservatory.org/plan-your-special-occasion/weddings.aspx

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww thanks lunar! I've never heard of camp kon-a-wee but I love it. And it's so weird because that's right by where BF lived when we met.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm totally a google nerd. Isn't that fireplace incredible?!

This is the wedding venue that I secretly dream of:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    oh wow that is beautiful!
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It would be a royal PITA to get to, but if Andrew and I decide on a small and intimate wedding- that would be the place. It would kinda ensure that only our closest friends and family would venture out. It would certainly be considered a "destination" wedding. The lodge can sleep 38 people. This lodge is what first started my BSCiness...but I've since settled down and I don't really think much about it anymore.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    So pretty, Lunar.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It looks like a post card, right? So crazy! So when do YOU need to make a venue decision by? What is your heart telling you now? The theater? It really is beautiful.

• Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Elle, I am still in love with the lake house.  Have been since I first stalked your profile.

What about a March or April wedding?  Then you could get the lake house AND not have to worry as much about the heat?  :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a098956e-b976-47de-b8f5-71e8944c72bbPost:e5238457-4384-43e0-b56e-eb2532f6ced4">Re: WR: Which Venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It looks like a post card, right? So crazy! So when do YOU need to make a venue decision by? What is your heart telling you now? The theater? It really is beautiful.
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

We need to make a decision by... soon.  I was told by one (really sweet) woman at a venue I visited that June is actually not the most popular time in TX due to the heat, and I'm probably ok waiting until about 10 months out.  That said, I know that the theater already has one weekend in June booked, so I'm starting to get nervous...

I honestly don't know what my heart is telling me.  Either option I consider leaves me feeling like I might have regrets later.  I will say, though, that I would have booked the lakehouse already if I didn't have my reservations about the location and the heat.  Lake Travis is my favorite place in the world, and I would love to have it as the backdrop for my wedding, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

[QUOTE]Elle, I am still in love with the lake house.  Have been since I first stalked your profile. <strong>What about a March or April wedding</strong>?  Then you could get the lake house AND not have to worry as much about the heat?  :)
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Well, we originally wanted a September wedding, but Nick will only be off from med school from June 15 to Aug 15.  We thought about having the wedding on just a random weekend earlier than that and just delaying our honeymoon until the summer, but neither of us really wants that.  We also risk inadvertently scheduling the wedding on the weekend before a major test and him being too stressed to have any fun.  Basically, I have to make sacrifices no matter what.  Cost of becoming the wife of a future-doctor, I guess.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    I would also like to thank everyone for chiming in.  I have been looking back and forth between the two for so long, I'm starting to get confused.  These outside, objective thoughts are really helping.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards