Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Friend officiating our wedding, need a "script"

Hi ladies.  We have asked our good friend to officiate our wedding (can be ordained for Oregon weddings), and I am looking for a good "script" for the ceremony timeline with processional, ideas of things for the officiant to say, vows, things like that.  I am thinking of taking a traditional ceremony and tailoring it for us.  There must be a good Google search but I haven't had much luck yet. 

Any ideas?  Has anyone written their own ceremony?  Any good things to not do?  We aren't planning on having readers (I don't think) or unity candle/sand thing, only a pretty short and sweet, fun, ceremony.

Thanks so much!

Re: Friend officiating our wedding, need a "script"

• Here's what we used (my BIL performed the ceremony).  Hope it helps. 

Opening:
    Family and friends, we are gathered here today to celebrate one of life's greatest moments, to give recognition to the worth and the beauty of love, and to cherish the words which shall unite groom's name (G) and bride's name (B) in marriage.  G&B would like to thank you all for being here with them today.  Each of you has played an important role in their lives and holds a special place in their thoughts and affections. It is appropriate and meaningful that they call upon you today to take part in celebrating this important event.  As friends and family, we all share memories of good times, bad times, growing times, laughing times, caring times, and learning times. Today is day full of beautiful new memories for all of us, but especially for G&B.  Thank you for surrounding this couple in love, and offering them the joy of your friendship and for being here to share this very important day with them.Marriage is the promise of hope between two people who love each other sincerely, who honor each other as individuals, and who wish to unite their lives and share the future together. In this ceremony, G&B will dedicate themselves to the happiness and well-being of each other in the new life they will begin today. Reading:(Union by Robert Fulghum):G, B, you have known each other from the first glance as distant acquaintances to this day.  At some point in your journey together, you decided to marry.  From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes you have been making commitments in an informal way.  Even before that moment there were commitments, large and small.  All of those conversations – the ones held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “someday” or “when we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart.  All of these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. 

The vows you take today are a symbolic way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.”

Now, look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another – acquaintances, friends, companions, lovers, dance partners, even teachers, for you have learned much from each other these past few years. Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things between you will never quite be the same.

For after today you shall say to the world –This is my husband. This is my wife.  Vows:We've come to the point of your ceremony where you, G&B, are going to say your vows to one another. But before you do that, I ask you to remember that love – which is rooted in faith, trust, and acceptance - will be the foundation of an abiding and deepening relationship. No other ties are more tender, no other vows more sacred than those you now make.  Now, please, join your right hands and declare your consent by repeating after me. I, G, take you, B, to be my wife.  I promise to be faithful and honest in every way, to honor the faith and trust you place in me, to love and respect you in your successes and in your failures, to make you laugh and to be there when you cry, to care for you in sickness and in health, and to be your companion and your friend through all of our years and in all that life may bring us. I, B, take you, G, to be my husband.  I promise to be faithful and honest in every way, to honor the faith and trust you place in me, to love and respect you in your successes and in your failures, to make you laugh and to be there when you cry, to care for you in sickness and in health, and to be your companion and your friend through all of our years and in all that life may bring us. Rings:It is a custom to exchange rings as a symbol of love, and remembrance of the vows you have just made. As the rings have no end so your love should have no end.  These rings will be a daily reminder of your love and the promises you have just made to each other. B do you receive this ring in honor of these vows?" "I do.”“B, I give this ring to you as a symbol of my love and devotion.” G, do you receive this ring in honor of these vows? "I do.”“G, I give this ring to you as a symbol of my love and devotion.”  Pronouncement:Now, G&B you have come here today and publicly declared your desire to become husband and wife and to live together in marriage. You have made special promises of love and devotion to each other, symbolized by the joining of hands, taking of vows and the giving and receiving of rings. Therefore, by the authority vested in me as a Minister in the state of Arizona I pronounce you husband and wife.   You may kiss your bride!! Ladies and gentlemen, it is my great pleasure to present to you, Mr. and Mrs. last name!
  • I am in the process of doing the same... I went to google and typed in wedding ceremony outline... Planning your wedding ceremony is pretty good. I am still a little stuck though... When exactly do you say, I do?!
  • This is great info, thanks!  I'll check out that Google search and piece together bits and pieces that I like.  Punky, check out a Google search for "wedding ceremony scripts."
  • Girlie....I ABSOLUTELY love your sigy!  Thanks for making me smile!
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • rojacobs... Thanks I found some good info! Tell me if you girls think I am on the right page... Traditional vows will include your officiant asking you if you take this man/woman to be your husband/wife... etc. Ending in "I Do". If you are writing your own vows you will be reading it and then will not necessarily have the "I Do" part???
  • I think this is where I got some guidelines for mine (I"m a writer, so I added/subtracted bits to suit our relationship). Hope it helps!

http://weddings.about.com/od/yourweddingceremony/a/weddingceremony.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards