Not Engaged Yet
Options

Date a girl _who_ reads.;)

Have you already read this? (I'm always out of the loop when it comes to viral stuff)

http://nonamerah.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/869/
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Date a girl _who_ reads.;)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That was beautiful. No, I'd never seen that before!

I'm going to go ahead and switch out every place it says "girl" and put "man" there--because I think women deserve men who read, too!

[QUOTE]Date a <strong>man</strong> who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a <strong>man</strong> who can give you the most colorful life imaginable.[/QUOTE] <3

Thank you for sharing!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow that was an interesting blog. Thank you for sharing.

Anniversary

• Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw part of that on Pinterest the other day.  Thank you for sharing the whole thing.  I got chills down my spine and tears in my eyes.  Or, maybe that's the caffeine overdose.   Either way, it touched my soul.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Why be frightened of everything that you are not? Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop. Except in the Twilight series.[/QUOTE]
    Win. So Win.

Also, that essay made me cry a little. So well written.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop. Except in the Twilight series.

I lol'd. I love this! Going to post this on a friend's wall. XD
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That was cute. I loved the last sentence.
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this has been debated before, but I don't think someone has to be a huge reader in order to be intelligent or that I deserve someone "better than" my BF because he's just not someone who does a lot of reading. I find the idea that only someone who reads a lot can give you the best (or "most colorful") life imaginable to be a intellectual snobbery.

I think there are a lot of different types of intelligence, and reading isn't the only way to be open to new ideas, or gain knowledge.

This is coming from a girl who reads an average of 1-2 books a week.
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I don't really have an opinion on the article.
    I'm not a big reader, but I can appreciate the article. I like reading about all sorts of different perspectives and opinions, it widens my horizons. I don't think the article is demeaning or talking down to non-readers, really.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the idea that you "deserve" to date someone who reads implies that you "deserve" better than someone who doesn't read. The statement that someone who reads offers "the most colorful life imaginable" suggests that someone who doesn't would offer something less than that.

Which implies that those who read have more to offer or are superior in some way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_date-girl-reads?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a340ad04-b9b8-495f-b486-95972e4a0c51Post:0b20e877-2ff3-46fd-acf6-3074fb2807bf">Re: Date a girl that reads.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the idea that you "deserve" to date someone who reads implies that you "deserve" better than someone who doesn't read. The statement that someone who reads offers "the most colorful life imaginable" suggests that someone who doesn't would offer something less than that. Which implies that those who read have more to offer or are superior in some way.
    Posted by jorja86[/QUOTE]

I agree, and FI and I read tons of books.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually used to read a lot before I met my bf, then when we met we started spending a lot of time together, so I started reading less. Then when we moved in together I started reading even less than before we lived together, again, because we would spend more time together. Sometimes I kind of miss it and sometimes I wish my bf would read more, so we could read together. But I would rather spend time with my BF than read. 

Also I totally LOL'ed at this:
     "Why be frightened of everything that you are not? Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop. Except in the Twilight series."
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    It's highly possible that I'm just PMSing a little bit, but I think a few of you are making something out of nothing.

I think this is just a well-written, sweet way for the author to explain her love of books and show her pride in being a reader.  I don't think it's necessarily disparaging to people who aren't avid readers.

If I were to write a blog post saying "Date a girl who loves Harry Potter because you deserve someone who sees the magic in life," or "Date a soccer player because you deserve a girl who doesn't mind bruised knees" you wouldn't be offended.  (Or would you?  I could be wrong).

Yet, when it's reading we're talking about, people get all hypersensitive because there seems to be this common mentality that "well-read" = "intelligent" (and the inverse of that, too).  I think we all know that's rubbish.  I know plenty of people who love to read and aren't that smart; I also know plenty of perfectly-intelligent people who would prefer to rent the movie.

I also found it interesting that Jorja and Jaycee both felt it was necessary to say that they read.  If whether or not someone reads doesn't have any implication on their intelligence, why bother clarifying?

And since I'm feeling ranty:  Lunar, your subject line is grammatically incorrect.  Date a girl who reads.
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I agree with Elle.  Reading does not equal intelligence.  Just like traveling a lot does not equal maturity.....

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_date-girl-reads?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a340ad04-b9b8-495f-b486-95972e4a0c51Post:eb66892d-4d95-44dc-8ecd-1153746f5711">Re: Date a girl that reads.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Date a girl that reads. : But that's exactly what the blogger said in her article.  "Date a reader because readers are better than everyone else."  <- That might be slightly  paraphrased.
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Lol. "slightly paraphrased"

This is where you and I disagree, Yaga. I just didn't think the point of the blog was to put down non-readers.
  • Options
    deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her."

That was totally me tonight. Except it was 4am and FI didn't make me tea. He just notice the book, asked "Good book?", gave me a kiss on the forehead and then rolled back over when I nodded yes. lol
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_date-girl-reads?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a340ad04-b9b8-495f-b486-95972e4a0c51Post:468130bb-9f59-45e5-8d15-8cda94bd1fd5">Re: Date a girl that reads.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was actually really, really bothered by the "lie to her" phrase. I liked a lot of the blog, and I think you can take it either way.  But the lie to her?  Because she likes syntax and she'll get it?  WTF?!  NO WAY! *crosses arms and stomps her feet!*<strong> I disapprove of the message that because I get syntax and I love reading that I'll ever think it's okay for someone to lie to me.
    </strong>Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]

Lmfao... Cunning, I adore you :)
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was actually really, really bothered by the "lie to her" phrase. I liked a lot of the blog, and I think you can take it either way.  But the lie to her?  Because she likes syntax and she'll get it?  WTF?!  NO WAY!

*crosses arms and stomps her feet!*

I disapprove of the message that because I get syntax and I love reading that I'll ever think it's okay for someone to lie to me.
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

Elle, I <3 you.

I french with my man
  • Options
    wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I like the last line! I missed writing while doing the accounting thing, so now I'm slowly getting back into it.

I used to read a lot more than I do now. Reading before bed used to be one of my favorite things, but now I'm either too tired to read before knocking out or BF wants to cuddle, and how can I turn that down? I would like to read more, I just end up reading things other than books.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards