Not Engaged Yet
Options

S/O Book suggestions

I need some new book/author suggestions as well. 

I like Maeve Binchy, John Grisham and Jodi Piccoult. I also enjoyed the 'Something Borrowed' book, but not sure I could read that whole series.

I also like biographies or semi-biographical books (like 'The Other Boleyn Girl).

Ready..... GO!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
Still here and still fabulous!

Re: S/O Book suggestions

• Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot about The Other Boleyn Girl. I loved that one. Anyone know any good books on Queen Victoria? She always fascinated me too.

As I mentioned in a couple of other posts, my latest addiction is The Hunger Games. I didn't think it'd be my style, but decided to try it and now I'm hooked, lol. I'll be finished with it this week, I'm sure, so I'm looking for suggestions on other books too.

I did buy "Mothers in Law vs. Daughters in Law: Let there be peace" and "The Daughter in Law's Survival Guide" this week too. I finished the first one, but haven't started the second yet. They're very interesting, actually, if you're into that kind of thing and are looking to improve the relationship with your (F)MIL lol.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    If you liked Something Borrowed, definitely read Something Blue... that's the only one of the Emily Giffen books that is actually in the "series"... the others don't continue. A couple characters make guest appearances in a couple of the others, but they aren't actually part of the series. Baby Proof is actually my favorite of her books, and Love the One You're With is 2nd on the list. I didn't really love her last one, but it wasn't terrible.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I just adore Billie Lett's work. She writes beautifully descriptive narratives, and unique characters. She has 4 books so far: "Where the Heart Is", "The Honk and Holler Opening Soon", "Shoot the Moon" and "Made in the U.S.A." You've probably heard of her first book, they made a movie out of it with Natalie Portman and Ashley Judd. I am also a big fan of John Searles's two novels, "Boy Still Missing" and "Strange But True". They are so wonderfully unpredictable and he has a great sense of character. He can grasp any voice - whether it's a 17 year old girl or a young man in his mid-20s or a post-menopausal woman - flawlessly. His stories take you in one direction and then takes a sharp turn and you're like, "holy...where did that...what the f*ck just happened?" If you loved "The Other Boleyn Girl", here are a list of other Tudor-era novels that I have read and loved: "The Boleyn Inheritance" - Philippa Gregory (she also wrote "The Other Boleyn Girl", but this one is the intertwining stories of Anne of Cleaves, Katherine Howard and Jane Boleyn) "Innocent Traitor" - Allison Weir (about Lady Jane Grey, the Nine-Day Queen) "The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn" - Robin Maxwell

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    I have on my to read list the other boelyn girl.  I am watching the Tudors right now on netflix too, I love all of that stuff. I may look into your other suggestions too bside!

I am reading Moonstone now by Colin Wilkes.  I plan to read the girl with the dragon tattoo series next.   What ever happened to the NEY book club??

Anniversary

• Options
    Danser! I am reading the moonstone too!
  • Options
    I am reading it on my kindle I'm only 20% of the way through, so far so good.  Are you enjoying it?

Anniversary

• Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012

I just finished Moonstone!  I love it!  So good!  I also read the lady in white by him which I thought was excellent (which is why I bought the Moonstone).

I love historical fiction!  Let me see what I can dig up!

The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my favorite books of all time, but it's during the French revolution.

Here is a list of Queen Victoria books, becoming Victoria looks really interesting :)

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/11385.Best_Queen_Victoria_Books

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_book-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:b66033ce-0f57-4f5a-8c4a-64ce28dce64fPost:a1a09dbf-5228-4712-8c52-6477abe00ae7">Re: S/O Book suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Book suggestions : Strange but True  was so good, and I was NOT expecting that ending.  I read it years ago - in one night.  It was that good.
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

I leant my copy of "Strange But True" to someone a couple years ago and I never got it back, but I never got around to replacing it, either. Sadness :( I really loved that book.

Have you read "Boy Still Missing"?

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    Anything James Patterson writes. I adore that man. 
    Ummm.... John Grisham is another one of my favorites. I can't think of anyone else right at the moment... I haven't read in a long time :(
  • Options
    John Hodgman is hilarious if you want something humorous. I laugh until I can't breathe when I read his books.

• Options
    Thanks for the list of Queen Victoria books, Ray! : )
    -Ely

• Options
    I second the James Patterson suggestion, I read the 1st in the Alex Cross series & was hooked.

If you liked The Other Boleyn Girl & you like reading stuff like that I really recommend all of Philipa Gregory's other books.  I really like her style & find that time period really, really interesting so once I read that I went & bought a few of her others & loved them also! 

I just reread all of the Hunger Games while I was away.  So amazing.

• Options
    Not really related to the theme you are on, but I love the Sookie Stackhouse books.  I'd love to find a similar author to Charlaine Harris, but I don't know who that would be.  I like her style of writing because it's fun, there are 'love' stories, but it's not a mushy romance, and there's quite a bit 'adult' scenes in them.  LOL.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Everyone should read The Winter Sea. Fabulous historical history/love story.

I'm also a fan of Kate Morton's books -- The Forgotten Garden is my favorite but you might start with The House at Riverton, which reminded me of Atonement, just so you're not reading the best first and then disappointed with the others. :)

Sarah Addison Allen's books are also fantastic. They're not heavy by any means -- just the right combination of humor, real emotional impact, and a touch of magic.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards