Not Engaged Yet
Options

Dress shopping tomorrow..any suggestions?

I have an appointment at David's Bridal ( I know theres a huge mixed opinion but I'm hoping for the best) tomorrow evening and those of you who have had dress appointments , was wondering any words of advice ? I do have print outs of specific styles I like and would like to try on and because of my limited time am trying to stick to styles that come only in my size specifically ( plus size) just to be on the safe side as well. I have a slimming undergarment , small heeled shoes , putting my hair up in a loose style that will be comfortable but also resemble my hair probably on my wedding day. Any words of wisdom are welcome :)
Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Dress shopping tomorrow..any suggestions?

• Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay!! I had a good experience at David's. I hope you do too!

Do your makeup. If you feel pretty, you'll feel better trying on dresses. : )

And eat something.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear about it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try on dresses you don't think you'll like - I was so sure I didn't want a strapless dress and that's the one I ended up loving
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When Jeter and I went to DB, they asked her size and showed us the section of the store that had that size. We basically dug through everything ourselves and pulled what she wanted to try. It wasn't bad!

If you have some styles you KNOW you want to try on, it would be faster to bring in the style number and ask if they have it available.

Also, look at dresses a size larger than what you normally wear. A lot of wedding gowns run small (which is stupid).

AND if you have a price limit make sure you tell your consultant ahead of time and DO NOT try on anything you can't afford. Just don't even put it on.

Good luck! Do you have someone going with you?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ditto everything Jeana said.

I had a great experience with DB.  Definitely eat before hand.  And I would bring some water with you.  It was exhausting. 

Have fun!!
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My experience at DB wasn't bad at all - which I was surprised because I've heard alot of negative things about them.  Oh, and yes, don't freak out if you need to try on larger sizes than you may think - I about had a stroke when my dress ended up being a size 16.  

I love kats advice about doing your makeup and make yourself feel pretty - I wish I would have done that.. My hair was a freakin mess that day - not to mention I was insanely embarrassed by my extreme farmers tan. 

The only other thing I was wishing for was a drink... If it wouldn't have been so early I would have definitely gotten a drink beforehand LOL 

• Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies , keep them coming! FI is driving me and my MOH , so I won't be alone :) Price is negotiable , anything under 1k and we will be happy and in budget ( before any alterations). The styles I like are all well under that , and yeah I wouldn't even try something out of budget , I've seen too much Say Yes to the Dress to let that happen lol !  It's also their sale this weekend and I have a 25.00 off coupon off any dress over 100.00 , hey 25 bucks is something still , lol !

I will have specific styles I want to try on , I do know I look good in strapless but open to small sleeves and various styles as well , not just A line , etc. I am keeping a complete open mind. I do know about things running small so I refuse to let the size tag scare me :)

I usually don't wear makeup however I'm going to wear a natural look tomorrow to make me feel better. Thanks again and I will be sure to post pics too :)
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    tafft - You can get killer deals at DB.  Well, at least I did.  My dress was only $299! 
  • Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and a small update : My bio is updated with the new Lake Tahoe planning , and as of this afternoon the following is done and all within the last 72 hours , lol!

Officiant/Marriage License/Location/Boquets
    Reception Restaurant booked
    Honeymoon Suite booked
    Hotel rooms blocked off for OOT guests
    Photographer ( my original one yay!)
    Guest List finalized

Friday
    Dress shopping/veil
    Shoes

Saturday
    Buying printable invites and send them out by Tuesday

After that , going to try and relax and work as much as I can :)
  • Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_dress-shopping-tomorrowany-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b78c0d27-d0d4-41c6-9b05-262458bcd087Post:089a7b17-ccd4-4de2-bead-c22021b18930">Re: Dress shopping tomorrow..any suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]tafft - You can get killer deals at DB.  Well, at least I did.  My dress was only $299! 
    Posted by Soon2BMrsJeter[/QUOTE]

That's so awesome ! You look so amazing too , hopefully I can be so lucky in my size..*crossing fingers*
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

ahhhhh! Tafft I'm so excited for you - I hope you have a wonderful experience!  Can't wait to hear all about it:)

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    meamollymeamolly member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's funny how much DB varies by location.

My consultant pulled everything for me.

But yes, I definitely agree that eating beforehand and bringing water is a GREAT idea. You wouldn't think undressing and re-dressing would be so tiring, but it is!

And that is some AMAZING progress on your planning! Whooo-hoooo!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_dress-shopping-tomorrowany-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b78c0d27-d0d4-41c6-9b05-262458bcd087Post:95df6396-6765-4ca6-b1e4-fa78506bef17">Re: Dress shopping tomorrow..any suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's funny how much DB varies by location. My consultant pulled everything for me. But yes, I definitely agree that eating beforehand and bringing water is a GREAT idea. You wouldn't think undressing and re-dressing would be so tiring, but it is! <strong>And that is some AMAZING progress on your planning! Whooo-hoooo!!!</strong>
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

Haha thanks :) When we switched gears I didn't want to waste ANY more time , and was so paraboid of everything booking up , which the weekend before it practically is , and apparently July - Sept is the busiest time of year for everyone there so I'm just happy we have all the "major" things done now. The restaurant is even going to print out specialized menus for us something to the tune of "In celebration of Chris and Rose we prsent the menu for this evening" - they host alot of small receptions like ours and aren't charging us a room fee or anything like that. Basically the restaurant seats 40 people in 2 dining rooms so we will basically have half the restaurant to ourselves. They also said if we want to choose like 4 entree choices to out on the selected menu they could arrange that easily , which is great !

FI and I are going up to Lake Tahoe for a night on July 9th to do a cake tasting at The Cork and More - and are going to have dinner at Nepheles restaurant so we can see evrything first hand , but i've only heard amazing things from both so far overall. Now if the dress comes this easy , I'll be thrilled !
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no advice (I haven't gone dress shopping yet) but I wanted to say good luck and have fun!

And congratulations on getting so much done so quickly!  That must be so exciting for you guys.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wow, the restaurant sounds super accommodating! That's awesome!

I really hope dress shopping does go well for you. Can't wait to hear about it! You are required to PIP, you know!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ana , it has been very exciting ! I had everything done yesterday aside from the restuarant and hotel block for OOT guests , but the owner of the restaurant called me early at about 10:30am and directly after I found an affordable option close to everything for the hotel that people can use if they wish. I was so happy when FI came home from lunch and I couldn't stop smiling and being all happy , seriously I am not the "squee omg you guys" type , but I am like that now , haha , so if the dress goes all well then I can relax for real and just let FI sign the checks :P
  • Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As much as I loathe pics of myself I promise there will be some , my MOH wouldn't have it any other way , my appointment is tomorrow night at 6pm PST so I will post early Saturday before work :)
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take water and if you think you will wear contacts day of, wear them too. I would also bring lotion and wear full backed underwear. I was literally shocked many times after digging through the dresses. Try on the ones you like, but be open to different syles. Remember, this dress should fit you, not you fit the dress. Don't let it wear you. 

And bring us pics!

PS I totally had a full on anxiety attack at DB. It was the last place we went on valentine's weekend and it was too many crazy people. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I went with my friend they made us dig through the dresses ourselves and it sucked. But her consultant kinda did, too. The woman wouldn't even take away the dresses my friend didn't want so her dressing room filled up and we had to just kind of pile them on the ground or lose the room putting them back up on their rack. Other people's consultants seemed much better.

Other than that it seemed like it was helpful that she had brought someone she was comfortable being naked in front of (me), because I had to help her get into a lot of them and crawl up under her skirt a few times to adjust things when they went horribly wrong (and her consultant opened the door on us once while I was up in there. There were a lot of questioning looks from her mother :P).

And beware nasty poop filled diapers in the parking lot. That was fun.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Good luck, I'm glad you'll be posting pictures!  I agree w/ PPs- bring water, eat before you go (a granola bar in your purse is probably a good plan, too), try on styles you don't think you'll like, etc.  Sounds like you have the right idea already, bringing your undergarments puts you ahead of the game! 

I would add: Don't let them rush you and, if you can, take as much time as you need.  I tried on ~2 dozen dresses at one shop (it was a weekday afternoon so we were the only people there) and it really gave me a chance to focus on details.  On the other hand, beware the white blindness!  Have MOH take pics of every dress so you can look them over after your eyes re-adjust to color and you can see the differences! 
    imageimageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good luck, Tafft!

I agree with PPs, and you don't have to bring shoes. I did the first time I went and they said I couldn't use them because they have to be brand new. Each time I've gone they just grabbed a box off the shelf in my size in something similar to what I want to wear as far as heel height.

I hope you get a good consultant! It really just depends... Be very upfront about your budget and stick to it. One of the consultants I worked with tried to talk about how she didn't think my budget was enough and pressure me into opening a David's account as I was standing in the very enclosed space of the dressing room with her in my underwear... talk about uncomfortable! Apparently a $500 budget was not enough for her. But then again... I was one of those people who thought the $99 sale meant there would actually be LOTS of $99 gowns to choose from... not 3! lol

Also... my dress came in 12 days! So really you have plenty of time. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow you've gotten so much done already!!  I haven't done any of that...other than get my dress LOL

Oh yes, it IS tiring trying on dresses - water is a GREAT idea. 
  • Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so nervous ahhh! And I am here all day off by myself , had nightmares last night about ripping my dress I was trying on and all sorts of other things , lol.

I'm taking ALL the advice here , it means alot to me , so thank you everyone.

May head out to the mall later before FI gets off work to take my mind off things and get out of the house but we shall see :)
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wait, have you gone shopping yet? I'm so confused.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No , I'm going tonight at 6pm. Just tend to have nightmares about things I am going to do ><
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any advice other than what people have already told you.  Be prepared to be exhausted when you're done.  I had no idea how tiring it was to try on dresses.  I was crabby and a little evil after my first time.  I literally could not bring myself to heave another dress over my head.  The second time out, I was a little more prepared (had lunch before, brought water and a snack in my purse, etc.) 

The best advice I can give you is take pictures, because they'll all start to look the same after a while, and don't let anyone talk you in to anything you don't love.  If it doesn't feel right, it's not the one.  Have fun!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards