Not Engaged Yet
Options

Surprise wedding!

Since I started planning my wedding, I started asking questions about my parents wedding. I found out that they pretty much had a surprise wedding!

My mom was pregnant and a teenager. My dad showed up for a date afternoon. My grandpa asked him when he was going to marry my very pregnant mom. My dad jokingly answered next time he saw the pastor. My grandpa sent my uncle over to the church to fetch the pastor. In the meantime they dressed my dad in my uncle's "Sunday best" and my mom put on her dress with the most white in it. The pastor came and married them in my grandparents living room.

They didn't even spend the night together that night. My dad already had plans to go out with his buddies, so he left afterwards. My mom stayed home and watched tv.

40 years later and they are still happily married!
~~December 3, 2011~~

Re: Surprise wedding!

• Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha I love it! Seriously.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It totally made me think of a surprise ice skating rink wedding.

As my dad says, it was seriously a shot gun wedding :)
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The first thing I thought when I saw the title was surprise ice rink wedding. This story is way better (and way less BSC).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's a really neat wedding, and so awesome that they are still together!

Someone would get flamed on here if they came to us with that story about themselves personally.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amsy, I totally agree! Heck, I'd probably be on the flaming train. I guess sometimes these types of marriages do work. Now, would I recommend it? Heck to the no!
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why wouldn't you recommend a wedding like this? Because being pregnant is no reason to get married?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awwww! That's so special! :)
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are a few reasons why I wouldn't recommend it:

1. They were still teenagers in high school.

2. My dad was pretty much told he was going to marry my mom.

3. (And this is probably the biggest problem with it) My dad's family wasn't even there to see it happen.
    ~~December 3, 2011~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did they ever have a vow renewal?
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents wedding was similar, Ember! They dated for about 15 years, and then my mom got KU with me. They waited until I was a year and a half old to get married. They weren't young either. According to my mom there wasn't really a proposal. She just said, "Hey, want to go get married?" and my dad was like, "Oh, okay." They got married in a small chapel and had pizza and beer afterward at a friend's house. It was a klassy affair, but they were together for another 15+ years until my dad passed away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope. They never even had an anniversary party or anything. I'm thinking maybe for a 50th anniversary it would be fun to have a huge party! Have my mom actually get a wedding dress and give them the wedding they never got but have always deserved.

Sparkles... That is so cute :)

~~December 3, 2011~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love it.  It's romantic in a kooky personal kind of way. 
    Daisypath Vacation tickers 4 Leaf Clover
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wow that is awesome.  I had to read it to the BF I found it so funny. :)
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_surprise-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bab9ac51-3027-49b6-b75f-d7e0afea0a3aPost:78128dad-f3f8-4298-8845-68a4afed90d8">Re: Surprise wedding!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow that is awesome.  I had to read it to the BF I found it so funny. :)
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

This makes me think of another question,,,but I'm going to start another post- as not to hijack this neat thread. :)
  • Options
    lmwilberlmwilber member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a wonderful story!
    Love is Love. I'm sure that there were times that your parents had to work very hard on their relationship, and the road ahead may have seemed difficult. But they made it :) I think that you should totally have a party for them. Your mom has earned her PPD!!!
    Those of us (myself included) who obsessover the most subtle of nuances in out BF/SO/FI's language and wonder "what does this MEAN????" would do well to remember this story.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Forget 50th wedding anniversary... life is too short. I think you should celebrate their awesome story by throwing them a huge 41st anniversary party/vow renewal :) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards