Not Engaged Yet
Options

Hi and vent (long, sorry)

I've never officially introduced myself, so I thought as long as I felt the need to vent, now would be a good time.  

I've been dating my boyfriend for 7.5 years (starting in college), and the last fourish years have been long-distance.  He's working on a phd in Michigan, and it sounds like he's going to be able to graduate in December.  For the most part I've been more impatient about him graduating than us getting married (we had our first marriage talk when he left for grad school, so I know where we're heading).

When Boyfriend left for grad school, I also moved about an hour away from all of my friends for a job.  I don't really like to go out to bars or anything like that, and the people at work can be a bit nutty, so I haven't really made any new friends closer to where I live that I can just call up to hang out with.

I like going to the movies, and I generally like to treat myself to them every so often for some "me" time.  Yesterday I went and saw "Bridesmaids."  It was supposed to be funny, but unfortunately I identified with the main character (who is the maid of honor in her best friend's wedding and her life is going to shiit) and ended up crying like four times during the movie.  I'm not usually a big cryer.  My life isn't going to shiit or anything, but I felt really bad for the main character.  Ever since then I haven't been able to shake a feeling of sadness/loneliness.

I was supposed to get dinner with one of the girls I like from work yesterday, but she had to cancel because her boyfriend surprised her with a trip to St. Thomas (I have my suspicions that he's going to propose).  I was supposed to get dinner with one of my friends that lives an hour away tonight, but he had to cancel to go to a relative's birthday party that he just found out about.  I can't talk to either of my best friends because one is on vacation with her boyfriend and the other (who I'm the MOH for in her upcoming wedding) is always busy.  I already tried calling her, but she hasn't called me back yet.  I don't think she will either, because she's generally bad about returning calls.  Sometimes I just feel like everyone else has a life and is moving on and I'm just stuck here, waiting.  Waiting for my life to begin.  I know, I should just get out of the house and do something, but I'm just really sick of doing things alone.

So, I know, what's my point?  In an attempt to make myself feel less alone, I thought I'd try to connect with some internet strangers who seem to be pretty cool based on what I have learned by lurking this board.  So here's a fun question to answer - If you were granted three wishes, what would they be?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Hi and vent (long, sorry)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry.  That sounds rough.  But remember that what you're feeling is normal.  Everyone feels lonely sometimes, no matter how many friends they have. 

You're not alone.

Hi, I'm Shoes and I'm pleased to meet you.  I'm a Bostonian, by way of New York.  I am finishing up my first year of law school.  I'm engaged to the love of my life.  I have a dog.  I enjoy shopping, mani/pedis, eating junk food, movies, reading, naps, TK, and being silly.  I feel lonely often.  My family is totally BSC and I'm not close with them, so it's isolating at times.

If I had 3 wishes, I'd wish for children, my relationship with my family to improve, and enough to make a difference in my lifetime.

Now tell us more about yourself.  Likes?  Dislikes?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Shoes!  Nice to meet you and thanks for the pep talk.  :o)

I like reading, watching movies, cats (I have two), writing, and shopping.  I dislike bad drivers, people who think they know how to do my job better than me even though they've only been in the office three weeks and I've been there for 2 years (I have to train someone difficult and annoying at work), and my cats getting sick.

I'm sorry you don't have the type of relationship with your family that you would like.  Unfortunately, most people wish for their family to be different than they are.  My mom is a rather controlling person, so I'd prefer her to back off a bit more.  And congrats finishing your first year of law school!  I hear the first year is the hardest.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi i'm Jaycee, nice to meet you. I'm sorry for what you're growing through, and don't feel like you're alone. I have had those moments as well, even though I know bf is planning on proposing soon (we picked out the ring together). I think it's normal when you really love someone to be anxious/nervous/scared at times.

If I had 3 wishes they would be for all of my student loans to be paid off, our pizza shop to become extremely well known, and all of my family/friends to live long happy lives.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    *waves* Hi :) I'm Rylee (Ry, Irish, I answer to pretty much anything...)

*hugs* You're not alone...you have us! :)

I'm a Michagander(i suppose that's what they call themselves) by way of Philly and Florida. I lived outside of Philly for 10 years, and Florida for 13, then moved to Michigan to spend some time with my mom and sisters and get away from my ex husband for a bit....and ended up staying. Met my SO and am very happy....even though I hate snow lol. I love reading, music, games (board, card, video...I <3 them all) I love the beach and swimming...and am a bit of a nerd. I also love to cook...so if you have any recipes to share, I would love to share :)
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time. It SUCKS to be lonely.  Can you join some kind of club or group--maybe a book club at the local library, or a craft club (knitting, scrapbooking, ceramics, whatever) so you can have more of a social outlet? 

I'm looking forward to seeing bridesmaids because I've also heard it's really funny--but I've also heard it's very real and that you can see a real person in the actress and feel for her.  So I can see why perhaps you identified with her and found the movie upsetting.

Keep your chin up.  It'll get better.

Three wishes as of this mninute right now:

(1) For my wonderful, smart, funny, sweet, studly boyfriend to turn to me, whip out an e-ring, and propose.

(2) For said wonderful boyfriend to NOT be allergic to my cats

(3)  For my student loan debt to be a thing of the past.

That's what I've got today!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Ry - I'm glad good things can come from Michigan!  At least winter should be over for you now.  I used to visit my boyfriend over the winters, but two years ago I visited for Valentine's Day and our car spun out on the highway from black ice.  No one was hurt, and we didn't hit anyone, but my boyfriend and I agreed there would be no more visits during the winter for me.

Becunning - Bridesmaids was funny, but not my kind of funny.  It was more Superbad than Hangover (awkward/gross bathroom humor over situational humor), so I didn't find it to be hilarious, but I know plenty of people who would think it is.  The main character was given a pretty compelling story line, and I liked her.  I have thought about joining a club, but I tend to work 12hr a day during the week (by choice, I get awesome overtime pay) so that really limits me with what I want to join.  I have thought about taking up knitting.  I did crocheting in college and liked it, so I just need to look in when groups meet for knitting at stores close by. 
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pumped to see Bridesmaids - although I'll probably have to wait for it to come out on DVD so I can see it with my MOH, I feel like I can't watch it without her.

Anyways, HI!  I'm Peekaboo (although I answer to Peek most of the time).  And you definitely aren't alone.  Everyone here is pretty amazing, and they offer pretty phenomenal advice, AND they'll even set your head straight when you go off the deep end (been there, done that).  So, hugs for now!!

Three wishes:

1.  For grad school issues to resolve themselves

2.  For FI to grow up a bit and make my life a bit easier (he can start by chewing with his mouth closed. Grr)

3. For our student loans to disappear and know that we have enough money to pay for a wedding and start our lives comfortably (this includes money for a PhD program and post-doc time :) )
    I french with my man
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I know how you feel about being alone. I moved away from my family and friends last year I've made some friends in my classes at school but no one that I'm really close to or hang out with. I love the girls on here though!

If I had three wishes I would wish for:

1) To be comfortable financially for the rest of my life. (I don't want to be rich just have a decent house, a little money to travel, basically just have enough to do the things I want to do in life without worrying about money)

2)I'd wish that my hometown and where I live now were closer together so I could see my BFF and my other friends more often and go back to having a soical life.

3) I'd probably wish I was at my goal weight already.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards