Not Engaged Yet
Options

WWYD?

So I have a question....

2 weeks ago, I lost my job. I've been looking and looking, and have been on some good interviews. Right now there are some likely prospects, I've been on interviews....but here's the issue...

We have bills to pay just like everyone else...the job I really want is only a part-time position, and it's not much compared to my old job...but if I get an offer, I'd really like it.

The other job is full-time, good benefits, comparable pay, etc. But it does not sound like a good fit for me at all and I really don't want to do it, but it would be good for our financial situation.

So...what would you choose? The job you would like to do, or the job you have to do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    Can you make things work financially with the part-time position? Is there a possibility of you moving to full-time at some point in the future?

Would you be completely miserable at the full-time job or is it just not what you really want?

• Options
    This is just me, and I know that others will disagree, but if I was in dire financial straits, I'd take the better paying job. It's what I did 10 years ago, and I learned to really like the work that I do. Do I love it? No. Am I completely fulfilled? Hell no. But I needed benefits and enough money to support my child.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    I'd go with the full time job, but keep my eyes open for positions elsewhere.  You might end up being there for a long time, but that would also mean you'd be at the part time job for a long time, and that sounds like it would hurt financially.
  • Options
    As far as making things work financially...we could, probably, but if we could it would be super tight every month. And going full-time, I'm not sure.

And I don't know...it just wasn't what I expected it to be. It's basically like a glorified telemarketer position, and it's not what I want to do at all. I also don't think I'll be very good at it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That's what my boyfriend is telling me to do if they offer me the job, and it makes sense....it's just super frustrating.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wwyd-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bd77c68f-0451-4dfa-b64f-f47ca93c26ffPost:d288c775-020f-4d16-9fdd-3a44638b8965">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd go with the full time job, but keep my eyes open for positions elsewhere.  You might end up being there for a long time, but that would also mean you'd be at the part time job for a long time, and that sounds like it would hurt financially.
    Posted by K Everdeen12[/QUOTE]

I agree with this suggestion.

It's not the best option but it's the best of the options you have. And you never know it may turn out to be better than you thought.

• Options
    Also, benefits for me are a huge deal.  Not having health insurance or paid sick days would be a deal breaker.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wwyd-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bd77c68f-0451-4dfa-b64f-f47ca93c26ffPost:5055850d-1913-4d2d-b41c-256474fd4c4d">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, benefits for me are a huge deal.  Not having health insurance or paid sick days would be a deal breaker.

<div>This 100%.  I'm in this position right now - I work for a teensy tiny nonprofit (I'm the sole FT employee), so I have no health insurance, and no paid leave, although they'll let me work from home if I'm sick.  It REALLY sucks to have to plan long weekends around the 11 holidays.</div>
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    That's a tough call. I'm a firm believer in being happy at your job and not dreading coming in to work everyday. If you have to spend 40+ hours and you don't like it, then I don't think it's worth it. However, you also have to be happy outside of work and if you're struggling financially then you will be stressed too. What makes you think you won't be a good fit at the full time job? Did the person you interview with give you a bad vibe?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I work in healthcare finance.  I see people come in without health insurance because they work part time and their hospital bills are BAD.

I wouldn't take a job without benefits.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    I would definitely go for the full time job with benefits even if it was something I didn't like.  I couldn't imagine not having health insurance, vacation time and paid sick days.

Anniversary

• Options
    How about take the part-time job and look for another part-time job? I know Starbucks offers benefits, but I'm not sure if they have a minimum amount of hours to work to qualify.

I've worked for the government for 6 years, so I'm all about stability, but I'm also a hustler so I always have part-time things on the side if needed. I worked remotely for a small law firm doing their accounting and I'd go in every once in a while for filing, etc.
  • Options
    If I were walking in your shoes, I would also take the full-time job with the insurance and benefits over the part-time one.  You can always look for brighter horizons while working there.  Being in a financial struggle sucks.  And not only for you, but it could cause problems with your relationship and cause bitterness or resentment if he is having to take up more slack for you "choosing to go part-time".  It may not be what you want to do, but sometimes sacrifices are just that in the great scheme of things.  It doesn't have to be your career.  Just give it a chance until something better comes along. 
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wwyd-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bd77c68f-0451-4dfa-b64f-f47ca93c26ffPost:4a521dba-c4fe-4b9e-904f-9a16d2e4fd3c">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>How about take the part-time job and look for another part-time job? I know Starbucks offers benefits, but I'm not sure if they have a minimum amount of hours to work to qualify</strong>. I've worked for the government for 6 years, so I'm all about stability, but I'm also a hustler so I always have part-time things on the side if needed. I worked remotely for a small law firm doing their accounting and I'd go in every once in a while for filing, etc.
    Posted by LifeisSweeter[/QUOTE]

A lot of places don't require you to work 40 hours to offer benefits. I know a lot of banks don't, so you could always look in to getting 2 p/t jobs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wwyd-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bd77c68f-0451-4dfa-b64f-f47ca93c26ffPost:5055850d-1913-4d2d-b41c-256474fd4c4d">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, benefits for me are a huge deal.  Not having health insurance or paid sick days would be a deal breaker.

As always (on this issue), i2i.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    I'd take the full-time job and continue searching for another job while getting paid well and having benefits.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards