Not Engaged Yet
Options

First dates!

I'm bored at work so I find myself lurking around here again and I have a question for you all.

Where did you have your first date with your SO and what was your first impression of them?

I met my BF online and we met for the first time at Q'doba (his choice) and then we went for for ice cream at Dairy Queen and took a walk with our ice cream cones. Then we decided to go to a local bar/club (still early) and had a drink and sat on their couch and talked until about 10. Then we stood outside for an hour talking and finally decided to say goodnight. It was like an immediate connection and we didn't want to say goodbye.

I actually had a moment of doubt though because he started talking about walking in on his roommate from college "choking the chicken", lol. I am fairly modest and was worried he'd be a sex freak or something, like many guys I've talked to online, but that ended up just being nerves talking and we've been together ever since! : )
-Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: First dates!

• Options
    lilphillips14lilphillips14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually met my BF online (not on a dating site or anything...roleplay community, don't ask me to get into it, it's sooo nerdy..anyway..) and we were very good friends online (phone, email, MSN, etc) for 2 years or so before we began to feel romantically about each other. When we first met each other, he was exactly as sweet and charming and loving as he had always been.

We say that our first "date" was at Applebee's. We went to dinner with his best friend, and it was awesome. I was already in love, but I fell in love with him even more as days have passed.

We're kind of a strange couple, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We had been friends (and then friends with benefits) for a while before our first "real" date, so it doesn't really count, but our first official date was to see Man of the Year (the movie where Robin Williams gets elected president).  That's fun to think back on.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I met my boyfriend at a Bar, yep, classy.. but our first real date was at Texas Road House. Definitely my choice, I love it there. We had talked a few times before we went, but he was definitely on his best behavior being the nice guy and all.

My first impression when I had met him was that he was awkward and quiet (I was right, he is awkward and quiet). But I was super surprised when he found me on facebook so he could ask me out. I was so flattered! The date was kind of awkward and quiet too, but I could tell he was trying and I loved it,..obviously since we're still together!

Generosity of mind, heart, and hand.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    BF and I never really had a first date. We met the first day of our freshman year of college and have pretty much be inseparable ever since. There was just something about him that made me feel relaxed and comfortable around him. There was never a moment where I though I couldn't be myself around him.

I guess our first date could be the time we went to a concert that was happening on the lawn outside of one of the dorms on campus. We were sitting together holding hands and a friend up mine came up and asked if we were officially dating. He didn't even ask me or think about it he just told her yes.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is going to sound so lame! But remember I was only a freshman in HS and he was a sophomore...

We had been friends for a while and I had just gotten out of a very bad long term relationship and he invited me to go to the HS band banquet. I was really excited because it felt like a date. And then his older sister told me about how he hadn't told anyone, but he bought the tickets all by himself and wanted her to help him look really nice for our date. It was cute. We weren't an official couple for three or four weeks after that though. :) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were in a lot of the same classes in highschool, so we got to know each other there.  We were in band together (yes, we're bank geeks!) and we were put into the same group that had to perform at our xmas concert.  Even though poor BF had his wisdom teeth out, he still came in every day to watch me practice.  He told me it was so he could know what songs to practice once he was able to play again, but he later said it was because he liked me so much and just wanted to hang out with me.  He asked me out one night while we were hanging out at my parents house.

Our first 'date' was going out to dinner.  I can't remember if we saw a movie or anything, but the place we went to is my favourite restaurant still.  We go there whenever we can when we are home, and we went there for every anniversary that we were able to.  

Now that I've started thinking about us as HS kids I'm all romantic and gooey feeling.  I wish he wasn't at work cause all I want to do is give him a hug.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He was in the same program as me in college but a year ahead. I was still dating my douche of a HS boyfriend when we met so we just talked although I knew there was something special about him. Anyways my HS BF and I broke up (it should have been done waaaay sooner than it was). The next day while working in studio (our architecture studio classes were in the same room and we were working on our projects outside of classtime) he asked if I wanted to go play pool at the student union. He knew all about what had happened with the HS BF. So we went and played pool and got some food. It was a great time and we really just clicked instantly. We basically spent the whole next weekend together and the rest is history!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF and I met about 3 months before our first real date. I was still living in NYC, but came out here for my best friend's wedding. (We were both in the WP.) We connected on FB about six weeks later (I poked him but left his friend request sitting for awhile). We talked non-stop for the six weeks leading up to my return to MN. So our first date was after an extended period of time talking and waiting to get to see each other.

On our first date, he took me to a coffee shop/sandwich place he thought I would like (I did--homemade bread!). I got a sandwich and cookie but was too nervous and excited to eat, so we ended up leaving quickly (like 10-15 minutes after sitting down). We decided to leave (we were so gaga we couldn't even figure out what we were going to go do). I took the sandwich and cookie to go. We walked back to his car so I could leave the stuff in it, and he had a parking ticket already. Oops. Haha.

Then I remembered I had a paper placemat in my purse I'd saved for him, the kind you find in a Chinese restaurant with the zodiac animals. Our animals were a good match. :) I gave it to him and he leaned in and kissed me. It was early in the date for that, but he said later "You were just too pretty. I had to kiss you."

Then we walked on the lakewalk for a little while. I remember hugging him and laying my head on his chest and having the most warm, fuzzy, happy feeling I'd ever had. We sat down on a bench and couldn't keep from kissing...and kissing...

We decided we couldn't be in public, so went back to his house and he gave me a tour. (It's a pretty cool old house, built in 1881 and in great shape.) I loved it. He showed me the drums and shells he had made. We stood in his bedroom, his arms wrapped around me from behind, looking out over Lake Superior, and he told me "I really hope you decide to stay here." (I didn't live here yet.)

I stayed. :)
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Teehee.

FI and I met at a rush event my freshman year (he was a super senior) of college.  We became friends, and the frat I was pledging, was well, awkward about alcohol.  So, several of us got together and started drinking, and by the middle of the night were pretty drunk.  I crawled up onto FI's lap and DEMANDED he take me out on a date.  Didn't ask - demanded.  I think it was "You're taking me out to dinner and a movie in two weeks."

And so, our first date was at Carrabbas, and then we went and saw "The Kingdom" afterwards.  My big threw a fit over the whole ordeal, said she had "seen him first" and so I dropped the whole thing.  We started dating 4 months later.  :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our first official date was at a local Mexcan food restaurant on the lake. We've gone back there for almost every anniversary.

When I first met him, I thought he was annoying, honestly. In college, he lived with several of my high school friends, and I went over to their apartment one night when I was home for Thanksgiving. I knew everyone there except for this random drunk guy who didn't really score any points in my book (and we were both in long-term relationships at the time). That was in November, and fast forward to the following summer, I got to know him a lot better and completely without warning started to develop feelings for him. That's when we had our first "date," though I think we both already considered ourselves a couple.

So obviously my first date with him was well after the first impression. Definitely worked out for the best!
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were friends before we started dating. I think our first date was a Mets game, but he doesn't count that. He counts the time we saw "Snakes on a Plane" and then went out to Chinese food.

I didn't want to start a relationship because I didn't think I was into him romantically, but he won me over with his sweet personality and sense of humor :)
  • Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

BF and I knew each other for about a year before we even started "talking". We have a mutual best friend, who was not at all okay with us dating. So I told him it wasn't worth losing her friendship over. He said that was fine, but then he was going to get to know me as damn well as he could anyway. So we started talking all the time, and over the course of 4 months we became very close friends and learned a lot about each other. I started falling for him. Didn't hurt that at a party he planted the best kiss on me that I have ever experienced. Pick me up by the ass, threw me on the counter, and kissed me with his hands running through my hair. Yea....

Our first official date, when our friend had said she was now fine with it because she could see we clearly cared about each other, and I had let my fears go and decided to go for it, was to a bar to watch a band I loved. When we left, he'd had barely anything to drink, but we got in a car accident that resulted in him snapping a telephone pole in half with the back end of his convertible (top was up), and the car rolling over only to miraculously land right side up between a house and a huge oak tree, not hitting either one. He leaped out of the car to make sure I was okay, checked me all over, and exclaimed that he loved me. He then apologized for saying it so soon, but that it was true, he loved me. We went back to his place and sealed the deal Wink

• Options
    IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    BF and I first met when I was dating (in the loosest terms of the word- he was a shmuck) his friend. He added me on FB, and I kind of forgot about it until late one night when I was up working the front desk at my dorm. He IMed me, asking me what I was doing. We started talking.... exchanged phone numbers and I went home to bed. Two days later (that was a saturday), I broke up with my then BF because it was a LD thing and he was making no effort. The next day BF text me, asked if i wanted to go play pool, I said sure, then later changed my mind (I SUCK at pool) and we went to the hookah bar for angry poetry night. It was awesome! :) We went out a few more times after that. 

I think it was about....oooh 5th date or so, and he took me to dinner, we played cards for a little bit, then i had to work 11p-3a. I went to walk down the stairwell to go to work and he stopped me and gave me a big hug and i thought he was going to kiss me. I was wrong. So about 1.5 hrs into my shift, he text me, asked if I wanted to hang out after i got off work. I made sure he was aware i didn't get off till 3am, he said yeah. 

We were up until 9am... 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HA! This is not what I am going to tell our children, but here is the truth!

We met at a fake St. Patricks day event in his hometown of Manhattan, Kansas. I was drunk and gave him my number. (he was the bartender) My phone died and I was passed out by the time he got off work.

We talked through text for a coupe months. Then, he randomly invited me to his college graduation party and I was going to be in Lawrence to see some roomates graduate so, I went.

We hit it off immediately in person and talk and hung out for hours. We both ended up pretty drunk off champagne and slept together that night. I figured that was the end of things, he had gotten what he wanted from me. But, he texted and called and we were hooked on eachother!

Our first official dat ewas when he came to St. Louis to visit for a weekend and we went to dinner at a little resturant in a fun area of town. :) Then our second date was the St. Louis Zoo the next day.

Very unconventional and I would not recommend this as a way to do things for another couple. But, it has worked out wonderfully for us!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    edited December 2011
    BF and I met during the first week of freshman year. We lived on the same floor, and he and his suite-mate stopped by my room one night. I remember thinking he was really cute, but he didn't seem very talkative. As the school year progressed, the floor split up into different cliques, and he started hanging out in my group more and more. I started talking to him more frequently, but I still didn't make a move until well into our sophomore year.

I heard rumors of another girl wanting to ask him out, and I didn't want to be left wondering, "What if I had acted sooner?" I knocked on his door, and said, "Hey, I like you. Do you want to go out sometime?" He said yes and we went bowling.  I remember making him drive my old beat up car, because I thought it was more romantic if the guy drove. In an attempt to release the parking break, he pulled the hood release, so we were driving down the road with the hood wiggling around. I couldn't stop giggling, because the whole thing was just so awkward. 

We dated for over a month, but broke up due to some communication problems. We got back together about 4 months after that and have been together since then.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our first unofficial date was a group trip with our mutual friends to NYC to see Avenue Q and then dinner.  We were sort of set up for us to get to know each other.  A month later our first date was to pizzeria uno and a movie district 9, and we spent 3 hours in his car just talking.  After the first unofficial date I wanted to know more he was nice and we had a lot in common.  On our first date I was hooked we got along so well.  He was so sweet and funny.  He got me a single rose and some lottery tickets because I mentioned on our unofficial date I'd never bought a lottery ticket before.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011

BF and I met online. I was in FL and he was in NM. I had never wanted to start a long-distance relationship, but it was all about timing! Just before he sent me the first email, I had actually driven through his town with my parents (who live in TX) as we were driving to see my other family in AZ. Turns out my BF lives exaclty half way between my family members!!! LOL.

And at the same time he emailed me I was going through a rough time b/c I just found out I was going to have to move to KY to finish my graduate degree. So I figured "What the heck? I have to move anyway and my family lives out West, so maybe this could be a realistic chance at romance." So we started emailing and chatting a LOT and talking on the phone. Eventually we were able to meet face to face when we both flew to TX for spring break to visit my parents. So he had to meet me and my parents on the same day! hahha. He handled it pretty well and we hit it off, as we expected.

Sooooo . . . to answer the question. We consider our first "official" date to be our lunch at Schlotzky's the second day we met b/c we had been planning it for a long long time. And now every chance we get, we have lunch there again (there isn't one in his town, so we have to travel elsewhere).

Weight Loss Center - Your Online Weight Loss Support Group
  • Options
    kellyt89kellyt89 member
    edited December 2011
    I love all of these stories!!! Marley's and csousa's totally melt my heart though. I'm a closet hopeless romantic :p

BF and I were in the same program at college, so I knew of him for 2 years as "the kid who got the solo in Chorus freshman year." We became friends junior year, especially throughout spring semester when we were teaching partners together. I could tell that he liked me but I wasn't really interested or ready to date. Then I saw him give his junior voice recital and started to re-evaluate my feelings. He jumped on that and asked me to go to dinner. 

First he took me to this waterfall near campus that's one of the tallest waterfalls in the country. We spent 2 hours just watching the waterfall and talking. When we went to dinner he sort of awkwardly asked if it was a date and I said sure. After dinner we went back to his apartment and watched "Sex Drive" and made out a little.

We dated for a couple weeks, then we went home for the summer and were "not exclusive" but talked every day. I started dating someone else and he got upset so we stopped talking for a while. When we got back to school I was really wishy-washy about being in a relationship so we had a strange couple months of hooking up then stopping things.

Our actual anniversary is November 1st, when he came over told me that he had hooked up with someone else, I realized that I needed to "sh*t or get off the pot." He stayed over until 2 am that night and the rest is history! 
    And if the stormy weather came...I'd just kiss you in the rain... Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I met online, when I decided MySpace would be a good way to learn more about Phoenix (I was moving to AZ from FL, and only knew one person there). The plan was to email several people to get ideas about where to live, fun activities, parts of town to avoid, etc.

After I saw his picture, I emailed him, and somehow didn't email anyone else. We emailed daily for awhile, then multiple times a day, then text, then the phone calls started. After a couple months, he couldn't wait for me to get out there, so he flew to FL. We literally 'met' in the Tampa airport, and our first date was to Bahama Breeze, which was beautiful... here's the pic:

We were already totally smitten, so about an hour after that he told me he loved me, I said the same, and we **cough**sneeze**cough** for the first time, and second time, and third time (OMG TMI). We already knew each other so well, it didn't seem odd at all, and we've been together ever since, and now I have this:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Aw I love your story Marley.

I wouldn't recommend doing it the way we did it.  We met for the first time that we remember (we live in the same town and even went to the same church at one point but I don't ever remember meeting him), at our mutual friends birthday party.   I thought he was cute but he was also the only single guy at the party, I was one of two single girls.  We sort of flirted, had a funny conversation about having sex standing up (keep in mind this was in a VERY conservative Christian group they were fairly shocked.)  On the car ride to the mutual friends house he texted her asking what the name was of the tall blond.  She said my name why?  He said because she is cute.  Well that was flattering.  We sort of snuggled on the couch while we watched a movie.  I didn't seen him for a month afterwards.  Then one day I started a college class with BF's best friend.  He happened to be texting BF.  So I being the big fat flirt I am, proceeded to flirt with BF over texting through his friend.  Bf finally asked for my number and he asked me out for the next day (keep in mind I had never been on a date before.)  I said sure but you have to meet my parents.  He was fine with it (big surprise for me) He came over the next day, spent an hour talking with my dad (who tried to give in dating advice and threatened to hide his dead body in the pond if he hurt me  :)  My dad is so cute).  We then went to In-and-Out burger who screwed up our order (we waited for 30 odd mins).  We then went to a movie, Paul Blartt Mall Cop (So funny and stupid!)  When then went to Starbucks.  In that time I told him all of my faults and problems I had with my past, I also told him I would never change for him and I would never change my religion.  I was so afraid of him not wanting to come back that I wanted him to know what he was getting into.  We then went home, had dinner with my family and THEN he went to my church.  That was a big deal, I am Russian Orthodox, for those of you who don’t know what that is, think Hard core Catholic (but not really) and we stand for 2 1/2 hours.  He finally left around 10 that night, we had been together since noon.  We spend the next two weeks hanging out.  We were inseparable after that.  :) 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mmmm Q'doba! And I love online-relationship success stories :)

BF and I pretty much met online too. I met his sister at a party and she had a picture of him on her phone. I thought he was cute and she gave me his AOL screen name (lol...). We talked only online for about a year and a half before our first date.

Our first date was at a local pizza place that is closed now (sad face). I remember I wouldn't let him pay for me. Then we drove around the town and hung out at my parent's house for the rest of the night.
    I actually had to write my mom a note asking her if I could go out on a date with "a seventeen year old". My father was in the next room and I didn't want him overhearing. I was so excited that he drove too, he was the first friend I had with a driver's license... oh boy! how exciting!!!

I can't believe how much changes in four and a half years...

ETA: Peek, your story is hilarious!! What does your Big think now that you two are engaged?
    White Knot
  • Options
    BrookeBQBrookeBQ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I had been friends for 4 years already, and he had been trying to get me to go out with him since the beginning. I was newly single and, usually being a very conservative person (every guy I had dated had been for around a year long), I decided to wing it and try something new and accept his offer, just to have fun. He picked me up after work with flowers and we ordered the same meal on a restaurant by the beach. Afterwards we walked under the stars to a closeby theatre and watched Slumdog Millionaire on a double date with our friends. He didn't put his arm around me or pressure me at all. After I introduced him to my mom and sister and they adored him. I left him swooning and haven't stopped swooning since :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    CleverThoughtCleverThought member
    edited December 2011
    Aww these are all so cute!

BF and I went to HS together, so we knew of each other, but were not in the same friend group by any means. Our junior year we were in a math class together and some way or another started talking.

Admittedly, I was a stalker. Talking together in class wasn't enough, so I stole his number off of Facebook Embarassed. So we were texting and talking for 5 months before we hung out. Our first "date" was to the ACT test. Totally lame, we went out to Subway afterwards, and I had to pay for myself hehe. A few weeks later he asked me to prom, and then a few days following prom he officially asked me out, via text message.

I look back and laugh at how the start of our relationship was so juvenile, but I love seeing how our relationship has grown in these short 2 years. I feel like we have totally grown as individuals and as a couple. We're old souls now, our friends make fun of us for being old people hehe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Training to be the next companion.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    BF and I were set up on a blind date by my boss. I had only been working with her (my boss) about 3 months...and she said "I have the guy for you". She had us over with some other people to her house for a causal evening of snack food, beer and pool (as in pool table pool). We hit it off right away and have been together ever since. I still can't believe we were set up by my (previous) boss. I truly never thought blind dated worked before that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards