Not Engaged Yet
Options

Monster In Law

So I was watching that movie on TV last night and it made me realize that things can always be worse with a MIL (BFs mom), lol.

It also really made me wish we could just have a very open, honest talk like they did at the very end and lay down some ground rules, then hug and everything is OK. I'd be up for this.

Things have actually seemed to be improving lately though. I think that my talk with her about the things she says and also showing her that I want her included in things has helped...at least with that issue. But she actually hasn't thrown any fits lately either. She's been surprisingly pleasant.

My BF and I talked and he's been working on cutting down the time that he spends talking to her on the phone each day and all of that (cutting apron strings) and we're working on getting him to say what he wants instead of just agreeing to whatever she says.

Hopefully things keep improving over time.
-Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Monster In Law

• Options
    marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ely, that is great news. I'm so glad he's working on this. I remember seeing Monster In Law and thinking it was pretty funny. Also that Jane Fonda looks great for her age, ha.
  • Options
    elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking that too! I'd love to look that good when I'm as old as she is.
    -Ely

• Options
    Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monster-law-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c845ccd7-f424-4f0a-bbfb-d0e4c26036bcPost:b3e8cf02-62d4-4e59-b80b-0e5ee168cd39">Re: Monster In Law</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ely, that is great news. I'm so glad he's working on this. I remember seeing Monster In Law and thinking it was pretty funny.<strong> Also that Jane Fonda looks great for her age</strong>, ha.
    Posted by marleylikeair[/QUOTE]

Very true!

I am happy for you that you're able to work through these things, and you're right things could always be worse. I try to remind myself of that when FI's mom gets me worked up.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on that! I've been quietly working on that for a while now. I love BF's mom and entire family for that matter. But, his mom is especially attached to him since he is her oldest boy. So I let the phone calls slide because he does them most of the time when I am not around and he lives far away from her. But, when he is not around I am with her I  am sure to talk about things WE want etc and make it known that him and I are a unit and we decide together what happens in our lives. I also make an effort to invite them to visit whenever possible. I think her knowing that I don't want her cut out of the picture completely ha made her calm down.

Good to get it done well before marriage!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that's what I think too. I want to start things off on a good note, not wait until after the marriage and expect things to change. I'm still learning about her and she is so severely insecure but you'd never guess it with how she acts around people. So I'm hoping if I get to understand her better, and show her that I don't want to cut her out of our lives, but that we are a package deal and we have our own life to live how we want, we will all get along better.

-Ely

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_monster-law-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c845ccd7-f424-4f0a-bbfb-d0e4c26036bcPost:903e732a-164a-41d8-8431-210ad7eaabbc">Re: Monster In Law</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, that's what I think too. I want to start things off on a good note, not wait until after the marriage and expect things to change. I'm still learning about her and she is so severely insecure but you'd never guess it with how she acts around people. So I'm hoping if I get to understand her better, and show her that I don't want to cut her out of our lives, but that we are a package deal and we have our own life to live how we want, we will all get along better.
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

Good Luck! I'll cross my fingers for you :) and feel free to PM me if you ever need to seriously rant or swap advice!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    elanniselannis member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, CCO!! I will definitely keep your offer in mind!!

Liv: I have that somewhat too, but it's with his dad. Although, his dad obviously cares much more about his work than he does about either of his children, so I don't really want to push him to put a lot of effort into it when I know that family is not important to his dad and he'll end up being more hurt and disappointed in the end.

He's had a messed up childhood.
    -Ely

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ahh.. this is the same for me. But feel sorry for me.. he is an only child! lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards