Not Engaged Yet
Options

Do you tell your BF's your on this site?

My bf just asked why I was typing so much, I laughed and told him I'm on "theknot" then asked what it was. I felt silly telling him. I did say I was on the "Not engaged yet" board lol.

Re: Do you tell your BF's your on this site?

• Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I hide it from him and lock my computer when I leave it and switch tabs when he walks by.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Not really.  I talk to him about somethings on here and we laugh at stuffs together.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope. He knows. I started coming here when I was MOH in a friend's wedding, and ended up in this section. He was around for the whole transition, so he never really thought anything of it.

• Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't tell him I go on here specifically, but I don't hide it and I'm pretty sure he knows about it. Sometimes I'll talk about stuff that's come up on here, but I don't specify that it came from TK - rather just some people I know online or whatever. I go on a couple of boards, so he's used to it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't really talk about my online life much with FI at all.  It has nothing to do with this being a wedding-related forum (we are engaged now, after all).  It's just that he's not a computer addict the way that I am, so he thinks it's weird to spend a lot of time on a message board.

*shrug*

I don't even get on facebook that often while he's around.
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He knows, he doesn't care. When I told him, I even asked him if he thought it was weird, and he said that I'm my own person and I can do what I please. Then he asked what we talk about on here, and I told him it mostly had to do with food. He was more than okay with it once I showed him all the recipes. Now he asks me if I have any new ones.

I'm thinking about trying to convince him that we should go hunt down Beads and her BF since they're soclose.
  • Options
    hannahnolahannahnola member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I asked bc we are watching tv and he was like, "What you typing?" I usually just online shop or whatever and never type a lot, so this is semi new and out of my character. I have never joined a message board before, but I do enjoy it now. =)
  • Options
    Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tell-bfs-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ce3663b7-c1f6-415a-ad32-067c76618c83Post:2ef0bb56-c4ab-476b-82b9-7cbef8025d8e">Re: Do you tell your BF's your on this site?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He knows, he doesn't care. When I told him, I even asked him if he thought it was weird, and he said that I'm my own person and I can do what I please. Then he asked what we talk about on here, and I told him it mostly had to do with food. He was more than okay with it once I showed him all the recipes. Now he asks me if I have any new ones. I'm thinking about trying to convince him that we should go hunt down Beads and her BF since they're soclose.
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

<div>Lol. I've had this thought as well. Maybe once school calms down.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He doesn't know, I don't mention it :-)

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FI knows, but he knew even before we were engaged. Actually, quite a few people in my life know I am on here. I even got my FSIL posting because I kept talking about it :-)

I don't think this is the kind of thing you should keep secret. If you feel like you have to then your relationship probably isn't where it should be for you to be on a wedding website, IMO. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He's seen me on here, but I've never been like, "Hey Babe, guess what? I'm on the Not Engaged Yet Board on the knot! How awesome is THAT?!?" Like Elle, I'm much more of an online person than he is. Well, I'm into my message boards and blogs, but he's more into facebook. 

I'm assuming he doesn't mind and doesn't think I'm crazy. He mentioned looking for rings this weekend so I don't think he's scared offSmile
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI knows I Knot.  He's known since before we got engaged.  Sometimes I'll even read the funny posts to him, so we'll both get a good chuckle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tell-bfs-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ce3663b7-c1f6-415a-ad32-067c76618c83Post:231b3034-9191-4b8b-b57e-539250c02a17">Re: Do you tell your BF's your on this site?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI knows I Knot.  He's known since before we got engaged.  Sometimes I'll even read the funny posts to him, so we'll both get a good chuckle.
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yeah I read to FI sometimes too. 

</div>

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tell-bfs-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ce3663b7-c1f6-415a-ad32-067c76618c83Post:e262b22d-bcd3-48a4-84c3-a4cfabf3d27d">Re: Do you tell your BF's your on this site?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI knows, but he knew even before we were engaged. Actually, quite a few people in my life know I am on here. I even got my FSIL posting because I kept talking about it :-) I don't think this is the kind of thing you should keep secret. If you feel like you have to then your relationship probably isn't where it should be for you to be on a wedding website, IMO. 
    Posted by SeaTea02[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Haha yes. Or the boys in our lives ask how many posts I have or If im "knotting."</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF knows. When I say the girls he knows that I'm talking about people here. lol
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tell-bfs-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ce3663b7-c1f6-415a-ad32-067c76618c83Post:d4f6742c-b70e-4036-9f57-fa5519044d57">Re: Do you tell your BF's your on this site?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked bc we are watching tv and he was like, "What you typing?" I usually just online shop or whatever and never type a lot, so this is semi new and out of my character. I have never joined a message board before, but I do enjoy it now. =)
    Posted by hannahnola[/QUOTE]

This is my first message board too. BF uses like 37* message boards for all his interests, I got jealous and found you guys. Now I'm not jealous and I don't need 37, I got one that suits me just fine.

*37 and 47 are my top exaggeration numbers, not sure why. But they are usually the random number that pops in my head.
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    Fi knows about it, he sometimes sits next to me when I'm typing on the couch and will peek in to see what I'm up too.  I know that I talk to these ladies too much when I mention something to FI and he replies "Is that one of your NEY friends?"  Yes sweetie it is.  He doesn't care one way of the other.  I think to him the ladies here are all helpful in keeping me sane.
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tell-bfs-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:ce3663b7-c1f6-415a-ad32-067c76618c83Post:43cf88dd-6ee6-4d87-a288-790495634c6d">Re: Do you tell your BF's your on this site?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fi knows about it, he sometimes sits next to me when I'm typing on the couch and will peek in to see what I'm up too.  I know that I talk to these ladies too much when I mention something to FI and he replies "Is that one of your NEY friends?"  Yes sweetie it is.  He doesn't care one way of the other.  I think to him the ladies here are all helpful in keeping me sane.
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

Good ol' Shelton...

Also, I agree with you, Sea. You don't have to make a big fuss over telling your BF about it, but you shouldn't be purposefully hiding it either.
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    I didn't purposefully hide it, but I didn't like announce it either when I started visiting the boards regularly and posting. I didn't openly talk about the board or the girls until I'd been posting regularly for about 6 months. I felt really weird about being part of an online community for quite a while. I'd never been part of a similar forum, and to me, it was more overcoming my own feeling of weirdness about having internet friends than worrying about what my H thought, if that makes sense.

Now, though, my H has met one of my internet friends, and is more used to me talking about my friends and about the board. I do truly consider some of the people I've met through NEY to be close friends, but it took kind of a while for me to open up. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    kibo8kibo8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've never gone out of my way to explain it, but he sees me on it a lot.

• Options
    sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF knows I post on here. So do a lot of my friends and coworkers. Many of them know I joined because I want to be a wedding planner and it was required for my class. I told BF I was going to stick around after the class was done because I like reading the boards. They make slow work days go by very quickly, and I like talking to the ladies on here.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He knows. He doesn't really care. I often read/show him the funny stuff.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    BF knows and he doesn't care. I talked to him about things that are discussed on the boards and it's really not that big of a deal.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    He knows, when I was trying to get rid of my engagement obsession I joined the knot and told him that I joined.  He didn't seem to think much of it.
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually joined to feed my BSC and decided to avoid the boards.  A big step in our relationship was when he stole my login information (not that it's hard for him) and started poking around on the non-community part of the site by himself.  

Now that we're engaged, I talk about you guys sometimes, and he rolls his eyes and laughs at me.  He does enjoy the funny posts though.  Especially if we're talking on the phone or curled up next to each other and I start cracking up for no reason.  I save the good ones for when he gets too serious, you guys seem to be able to pull him out of a funk lately :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tell-bfs-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ce3663b7-c1f6-415a-ad32-067c76618c83Post:0f9c059a-f7ae-4978-acb4-9277acd84847">Re: Do you tell your BF's your on this site?</a>:
    [QUOTE]He knows. He doesn't really care. I often read/show him the funny stuff.
    Posted by AbigailMS[/QUOTE]

Same here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm jelous that all you ladies BFs know. I'm about to move in with mine, and he doesn't know. I don't think he'd be too surprised though. I sometimes mention things I've read and he rolls his eyes. He knows I'm wedding obsessed, and have been since basically forever. Pus my best friend is getting married in May so...I may tell him after we've moved in, and I deffinitly will when we get engaged. I expect him to roll his eyes then as well. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
  • Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI knows about it. I didn't announce it when I started  as a MOH, but I didn't really hide it either.

I don't think he cares too much. In some ways i think he likes it because I'm becoming more accustomed to American culture, so I understand him better.
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF knows I'm on TK. 
    Within a short time of being on here, I felt like I needed to talk to him about it and check his perspective.

I thought it was a little crazy to be on here without being engaged.  He thought it was perfectly sane.  In fact, he convinced me to stay when I thought I was BSC for being here.

ETA: I think your BF should know you are here. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My BF doesn't know I'm on TK, but I'm not purposely trying to hide it from him. Actually, I may have left it up on his computer once or twice, or he could look at the history, as I don't go in to wipe away the evidence.

The reason I haven't told him is that he wants a break from wedding talk. He wants to surprise me with the proposal, and he felt we were talking about wedding stuff (timing, etc, not vendors, locations) too much. So I feel that if I talk about being on TK, he'll take that as me 'planning.' Occasionally I think about telling him about The Plunge, but I didn't like the story they had on ways to propose. A few of the ideas that they said sucked, I would really like! 

Anyway, when something funny comes up on here, I just say something like 'I had this conversation today' or 'how funny is this?'

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards