Not Engaged Yet
Options

Tanning opinion

Do you leave your face exposed in the tanning bed?
www.nurseyk.weebly.com

Re: Tanning opinion

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, but I use face sunscreen like every other time I tan.  My face burns more easily than the rest of me.

And I always wear the eye stuff.

(Disclaimer:  I tan for medical, not cosmetic, reasons)
  • Options
    I don't tan, but wanted to say hi! Also, you have only a few weeks until your wedding! : ) Are you freaking out yet?
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tanning-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d16489cc-5468-419b-8a1b-0e447bc30179Post:921d4f26-ea27-4e61-9d05-a48a2bb690ba">Re: Tanning opinion</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't tan, but wanted to say hi! Also, you have only a few weeks until your wedding! : ) Are you freaking out yet?
    Posted by elannis[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I'm also getting more excited by the day!

@ Elle - what medical reasons make you need to tan?
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    I don't tan. I don't think it's worth the risk. I did tan once or twice in high school and I did leave my face exposed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm only tanning for the wedding and so I don't fry like bacon in Hawaii. (HAWAII, SQUEE!)
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    I make sure to remove all of my makeup & I don't wear anything on my face except the eye things.  

I actually love tanning.  I wish it wasn't bad for you.  I always feel better & look better. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tanning-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d16489cc-5468-419b-8a1b-0e447bc30179Post:217bb1e3-ca06-4064-93e7-05913e40a866">Re: Tanning opinion</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tanning opinion : Yes, but I'm also getting more excited by the day! @ Elle - what medical reasons make you need to tan?
    Posted by NurseyK[/QUOTE]

Hypersensitive skin, eczema, etc.  UV therapy is a pretty common treatment for allergic skin conditions.

I used to be anti-tanning because of the cancer risk, but I would rather deal with the possibility of cancer than the certainty of itching, rashes, redness, flakiness, and all kinds of uncomfortable, ugly symptoms.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_tanning-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d16489cc-5468-419b-8a1b-0e447bc30179Post:9a5d65de-5b8f-45db-b515-efb977151098">Re: Tanning opinion</a>:
    [QUOTE]I make sure to remove all of my makeup & I don't wear anything on my face except the eye things.  <strong> I actually love tanning.  I wish it wasn't bad for you.  I always feel better & look better. </strong>
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  I have discovered that I love actually being in the tanning bed.  The warmth and relaxation...  Yeah, I wish it were healthy.
  • Options
    I have tried it once or twice in high school and I'd love for it to not be dangerous too because I love warmth. I feel like a plant that's been in a closet all winter right now. We had one day here that was like 60 degrees and sunny and I can't believe how much my mood improved. So it'd be nice to have sunshine in a box be safe.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    I also tan to help with skin issues and SAD issues. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the effects as well, though. I usually wear something on my face, especially if I am going with any kind of frequency. I forget the little eye things all.the.time though, because I go at my gym and not a regular tanning salon. I'm sure that's not very good O.o

ETA: Also, in the beds at my gym, I can turn the face lights off and just do the body. I rotate using the face lights every other time.
  • Options
    I don't go often, in the fall/winter I go maybe once a month (if that) for a few minutes. IN the spring/summer I go a couple times a week for a few weeks to get a light base tan so that I won't burn all to hell when I'm doing summery activities. I dont' really find tanning beds relaxing, they hurt my back for some reason and the primary benefit to me is clearing up my skin issues and keeping me from getting bad burns in the summer.

Anyway... back on topic... I cover my face for the first half of my time and leave it uncovered (with the eye covers) for the rest of the time. 

• Options
    I used to tan all the time when I was younger and now I just do the spray tan for a special occasion or right before a vacation.  When I tanned in a bed though I always covered my face with sunscreen and a towel.  Skin cancer, especially on the face, runs in my family plus I have a friend who is 6 years older than me and who has never been faithful about putting on any kind of sunscreen on her face...and well it shows.  I'm not trying to look old early. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    The 'base tan' is a myth.

Working with melanoma patients every day makes me incredibly anti-tanning bed and anti-tanning in general. I wear sunscreen whenever I'm going to be outside and would never go into a tanning bed ever.

• Options
    God, I wish tanning wasn't so bad for you. I used to tan like 3 times a week in college. I think I looked so much better then. I also really love actually laying in the tanning bed. I never covered my face, but I used a fancy schmancy bed that had special face lights that weren't as strong. I never burnt my face in that bed.
  • Options
    I wish I could tan but tanning beds give me a rash. The first time I tried it I thought it could have been the medication I was on (Dr said that there was a possiblility that I could have issues, but I was on a very low dose, so chances are it wouldn't be a problem. She just said to start out slow). I won a huge tanning package so I figured what the hell. Well after like 2 weeks of tanning like 3 minutes 3 times a week in the lowest setting bed, I ended up with a rash. A very itchy, very red rash. ALL OVER. Fast forward a few years, wasn't on the meds anymore, won yet another tanning package, figured it was the meds before. Tried tanning again. Tried the same thing, 3 minutes, 3 times a week. Still ended up with a rash. I won't be tanning again.

With that being said, the beds I used were the fancy ones with the different light for your face. I didn't do anything different beside my usual daily SPF 30 facial moisturier.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards