Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Sheva Brachot in modern (non-Jewish) ceremony

I'm Jewish, but my fiance isn't, so we're not doing a "typical" Jewish wedding. We're doing a pretty standard welcome, vows, exchange of rings, and pronunciation of marriage. 

However, I'd like to have friends and family come up to read the Sheva Brachot at some point in the ceremony. I'd also like for my fiance to break a glass. He is open to all of this -- he understands that it's important to me and my family to include these elements. (Our officiant is not a rabbi but is Jewish.)

My question: Where in a non-Jewish wedding ceremony do these things go? I'm thinking maybe the Sheva Brachot go after the welcome and before the vows -- but not certain. I have no idea where to put the breaking of the glass. 

Does anyone have suggestions for how to incorporate these Jewish elements into a ceremony that isn't strictly Jewish? Also, any recommendations for wording for how to introduce them to an audience that will be mostly non-Jewish? 

Re: Sheva Brachot in modern (non-Jewish) ceremony

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    Curiously, the best person to answer these question is probably a rabbi who has experience with interfaith weddings.  If that rabbi has seen some kind of pattern with how such weddings that include Jewish elements are fitted in and introduced, s/he could give you the best advice as to how s/he would do it.

Edited to add: I believe the Sheva Brachot are read by the couple, not others.
  • Options
    My friend got married in a ceremony vey like what you're describing.  Her FIL read the Sheva Brachot before the vows, and her H broke the glass just after they were pronounced man and wife as I recall. The officiant told the guests that Mr. X would be reading the Sheva Brachot in Hebrew with a sentence or two about its meaning. They also had a note in the program about it and the glass breaking. Hope this helped.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards