Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Dove release

Has anyone done the white dove release at their wedding?  Anyone used Wedding Dove release out of Oregon, OH?

Re: Dove release

• Options
    FI was telling me that the resort where he used to work did dove releases all the time.  But the bald eagle that lived in the area kept snacking on them, so dove releases were eventually banned.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Not a fan of animals used for staging purposes in weddings.  That plus birds flying anywhere near me gives me the creeps.

This is an expense that I'd just skip.  Is 30 seconds of birds flying around worth that money?  It wouldn't be to me.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Everyone loves animal props.  Woot!  We also love getting pooped one during your princess moment.  Score!
  • Options
    I saw it done at one wedding ... you could barely see the doves because they immediately flew away, and I was afraid of getting crapped on. Not worth it at all IMO.

Plus I've had a lot of friends over the years who have been VERY afraid of birds. (I actually get really skeeved out around butterflies, which is why I also hate the butterfly release - among other reasons, like the butterflies dying.) And not to mention that people might be angered by a live animal being used as a prop.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_dove-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:ed31a42a-fb2a-473a-a6fe-9ff86208c1a1Post:dcfba363-877a-401d-9840-e2f593080f47">Re: Dove release</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a dove release. "Doves" released at weddings are actually "rock doves," which are white homing pigeons. Upon release, they circle the area for about a minute then head to their home loft. DH and I really liked the symbolism, since doves appear often in the bible and symbolize the holy spirit in the Catholic religion. They're also a symbol of love and peace in many cultures. Posted by Jamilynn627[/QUOTE]

These birds aren't being used in a cruel way.  They chill in a cage, fly around and go back <em>home.  </em>I think, that as long as you're being conscientious in your choice of birds, as Jamilynn627 was, people shouldn't have a problem.  If you are worried, you could put a small disclaimer-type thing in your wedding program, just to put those folks at ease.

Sure some people don't like birds.  Others are allergic to flowers/the outdoors/certain foods, but are you going to have fake flowers, an indoor ceremony or a different menu just because of a few people?
  • Options
    My fiance and I are doing a dove release at our upcoming wedding (in Michigan)!  I haven't told many people about it because I want it to be a surprise.  I don't think any of the guests we're inviting have ever seen a dove release at a wedding before, nor have I!  I think the symbolism and the beauty of the doves will add a very special touch to the ceremony.  :)
  • Options
    I think a dove release done right is beautiful, no idea about that specific company though.  The dove release went really well, and they had music playing, and the doves flew in sync with the music...no poop that I am aware of, although I am sure this is a hazard.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers in progess... Planning bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_dove-release?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:ed31a42a-fb2a-473a-a6fe-9ff86208c1a1Post:488a0740-df9c-4e46-9875-54194ae8a781">Re: Dove release</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think a dove release done right is beautiful, no idea about that specific company though.  The dove release went really well, and they had music playing, and the doves flew in sync with the music...no poop that I am aware of, although I am sure this is a hazard.
    Posted by mewebster59[/QUOTE]

Homing pigeons that are used for dove releases (or racing or messenger services, for that matter) are fed two times per day, similar to the way most people feed their pet dog or cat. These feedings are usually timed in a way that they're less likely to be pooping at release time. I've worked with my father's pigeons my entire life and I was pooped on once. I was 5 and the bird was literally laying down in my lap for 20+ minutes at that point. It's not the same as birds feeding intermitently on the street and pooping constantly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards