Not Engaged Yet
Options

FML

Yesterday my face was a little bit swollen on one side, but it had started to go down when I went to bed. This morning its even worse! I look like a total freak and its almost impairing my vision on one side. I'm not allergic to anything so I have no idea what the hell is up with this.

I've been so stressed out lately, I do not need this on top of everything else!

Re: FML

• Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sinus infection?  Sometimes my face is swollen when I wake up, the junk clogging your sinuses kinda moves to the side you sleep on.  Are you congested?  If so, take some cold/sinus meds and LOTS OF FLUIDS.  I also sleep in the winter with a humidifer... it's helped A LOT!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you think something may have bit you or you touched something that may have gotten some type of poison ivy on it? My dog went through poison ivy once. It didn't affect the dog but it did make my dad's face swell up after he was nuzzling the dog.

EDIT:: Take some benidryl and see if that helps.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I don't really have a cold or anything, but I guess it could be something I touched. It's possible something bit me while I was sleeping. Hmm...I really just don't know.

• Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second benedryl.  It solves everything.  if it doesn't go down in a few hours I would also head to a doctors office and get yourself checked...be safe!

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Benedryl makes me crazy, panic attack crazy...

But I second Doctor's.  Not to freak you out, my mom woke up with her face swollen and red and it was a virus under her skin.  Not good, esp on the face.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Benadryl just knocks me out. The one time I fell asleep in class, I was on Benadryl. But an allergy medication might actually be a godo way to figure out if it is an allergic reaction if you can't go see a doctor right away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Damn. I hate going to the doctor, but if this doesn't get any better I guess I'm going to have to.

• Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I say do Benedryl, wait 6 hours to see if there's any change.  If not, definitely go to the doctor.  I absolutely detest going to the doctor and will usually just try to ride it out for anything but my face.  You wouldn't want it to be one of those flesh eating spider bites or something (doesn't sound like it, just an example) on your face and not have gotten it looked at sooner.

To me though, it sounds like some type of allergic reaction.  You may have touched something or gotten bit by a normally harmless bug that you don't know you are allergic to.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Benedryl will help if it is an allergic reaction.  I had a period in my life around college time when I broke out in an allergic reaction.  My face, arms and sometimes my legs would get swollen and red and so itchy, my arms looked like Italian sausages and my face was like a ripe tomato.  The doctors had no idea what i was allergic too.  At first I took benedryl but then it wasn't strong enough to fight the allergic reaction so they put my on prednisone which is a corticosteroid. 

I know you might not want to go to the doctor but you'll have to if you want it go pass quickly.  To this very day I still have no idea what the hell I came into contact that made me break out like that.  Happened like four times in a two year span. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you have any kind of rash to go with the swelling?  There have been 2 times that I've had a weird swelling in my face.  The first time it was because I had an inner ear viral infection when I was in my early 20's - I didn't feel a lot of pain in my ear until after the swelling. 

The other time was just a couple years ago when I came down with a case of Shingles - not really common in people under 60, but it does happen.  It's more common on the waist/rib cage, but can be on the head/face/neck as well.  Mine started with a lump behind my ear and my face (in the sinus area) swelling just a bit - the lump behind my ear was what sent me to the doctor (on a Sunday)- it irritated me because he said that even though there was no ear infection, it was just a swollen lymph node and he was just going to put me on antibiotics and not wanting to deal with anything.  I didn't feel well enough to argue.  2 days later I woke up with what looked like monster cluster zits on my forehead - a nurse friend of mine kept an eye on it for a couple days and I called on it but was told it didn't sound like a reaction to the meds because it was concentrated in one area.  By that Friday morning I woke up with these "zits" all over the top left side of my scalp and forehead and now onto my eyebrow and eyelid and my eye was swollen so bad I could hardly see.  My parents had to come get me and take me to the doctor - different doctor and he diagnosed me before he had even closed the exam room door, it was that obvious.

So, don't let it go too long.  If Benadryl or a decongestant don't reduce the swelling, try an ice pack and/or warm/wet washcloth...if those don't work, go see the nice doctor people and be on the safe side.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Benadryl is a first generation antihistamine and contains Diphenhydramine, it will make you sleepy, try Claritin!

Do you have any dental issues going on? Like recent Dental work, root canals etc??
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its going down a little, now its only a small part of my face that is a little bit swollen. Thanks for all the advice girls!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    An answer would have been polite considering I was only trying to give you a professional opinion....Undecided
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fml?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f160a9a7-5ec7-40a6-80e8-e4b1b5e58013Post:956f24e2-9b30-4251-864f-7f5a1b66d26f">Re: FML</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FML : It's also not polite to badger an answer. For example, even if I wish you'd answer my posts (and that would be polite since I address you), I'm not going to be impolite back. Since it's impairing her vision it sounds like it's more facial than maxillary, and since it's gone down I'm glad that you are feeling better about it, beth.  GL and hope you feel better.
    Posted by sunbird627[/QUOTE]

What questions?
  • Options
    deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fml?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f160a9a7-5ec7-40a6-80e8-e4b1b5e58013Post:559a87ab-d753-4590-9b62-b0bb96954160">Re: FML</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FML : What questions?
    Posted by rxjen[/QUOTE]

<div>Pretty sure she means this one:
    <div><a rel="nofollow" href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-question-need-advice_.1">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ring-question-need-advice_.1</a></div></div><div>
    </div><div>And that wasn't very polite. 1.) It's easy to miss posts especially if you're posting quickly and 2.) if people want to respond to you, they will.</div>
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Because everyone including OP has been nothing but charming to me,right?!? Ugh gime me a break....
  • Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fml?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f160a9a7-5ec7-40a6-80e8-e4b1b5e58013Post:196f91e0-ed12-40a2-9da2-7895f160d4e1">Re: FML</a>:
    [QUOTE]Because everyone including OP has been nothing but charming to me,right?!? Ugh gime me a break....
    Posted by rxjen[/QUOTE]

If more than one person is feeling the same way about you, maybe the problem isn't with them..
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow. Drama! I wasn't ignoring you on purpose, I've been busy with the last of my homework that is due before Thanksgiving break, I've been trying not to let the knot distract me (not super successfully since I still have an entire paper to write lol) so I just responded to the last post that I read, its hard to respond to every single poster. Anyways besides that one post where we didn't exactly see eye to eye I don't think I've been rude to you at all.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Bethy, I'm glad you're feeling a little better. I can't take Benadryl either, I'm glad someone else has the whole "freak out panic attack" kind of thing when they take it (like mana). I get this disconnected feeling and it's not fun whatsoever - like you Beth, I just pass out.

Sinus infections are running rampant around here and I just got sick AGAIN from two little monsters that I've been watching. Yuck. lol. I feel your pain but please get to the Doctor (not the Pharmacist) if things get any worse or if you think it's an allergic reaction. We can't have you out of commission!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fml?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:f160a9a7-5ec7-40a6-80e8-e4b1b5e58013Post:196f91e0-ed12-40a2-9da2-7895f160d4e1">Re: FML</a>:
    [QUOTE]Because everyone including OP has been nothing but charming to me,right?!? Ugh gime me a break....
    Posted by rxjen[/QUOTE]

Jen, I mean this in the kindest possible way.

Stop being so "Everybody is so meeeeaaannnn to me, waaaaaaaahhhhh!"

You're coming across as kinda immature.

Relax a little. Stop trying so hard to fit in. Just be yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    Also, glad to hear the swelling's gone down a little, Beth! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards