Not Engaged Yet
Options

Ahem-- Look at MEEEEEE!

Ok, some wedding related updates:

1) We have most of the bridal party, we didn't do anything fancy, just called people and asked if they would stand by us when we get married. MOH is my good friend from high school that I swam with for many years, with his two sisters as the other maids. He asked his best friend that he's been friends with since they were 5 to be his best man, and two of his college roommates to be his other groomsmen. I cried afterwards, I don't know why, I guess I'm still pretty emotional.

2) This is the place that we are thinking about for the reception http://www.eventsatpearl.com/pearl_studio. Sorry Ana, we looked at the natural history museum but they wouldn't let people around the triceratops. 

3) We are going to Mass on Sunday at the church, and then we have a meeting with the priest to see if he'll marry us. I am not Catholic, not even baptized so hopefully my likelihood of purgatory won't deter the church. 

4) My momma is coming out in two weeks to go dress shopping. I'm so excited! Since the reception venue is kind of modern, I'm forgoing the original  lace dress I liked and hoping to find one that has more interesting
 lines. 

5) We have engagement photos next weekend and I am stealing all of Acro's idea. 

Thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ahem-- Look at MEEEEEE!

• Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG LOVE your venue!!

the light fixtures are amazing!! CONGRATS!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I didn't even read the rest of your post past the venue.  I love it.  It is so different.  You will barely have to do any decorating because it is so interesting.

With the venue, you MUST look at this dress I tried on.  I loved it but it was way too modern/elegant for the wedding we were planning.

I think it is a Paloma Blanca but it was so long ago that I don't remember. 

• Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I LOVE your venue! It's fantastic! I want one like that here!haha

Question tho - is FI Catholic?  b/c I know around here as long as one of you is Catholic then they'll marry you in the church but if neither of you is then no dice! I think that's kind of the rule of thumb...

This is all exciting news!! heehe

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love your venue!  Have fun dress shopping, and good luck with the church.  :-)

And Yay my ideas!  Wait, are you near Savannah?  *Can* you steal my ideas?  Because if you are, FI and I are going to be in town tasting cake, and we should totally do a mini-GTG.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hetshup - have you BOOKED the venue yet?  Be aware that your date could change if they don't have it available and that can mess with the members of your WP!
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awww thanks Mutley, I did look at that dress, but I'm really wanting straps, with my luck I would trip on my dress and expose myself, not fun. 

FI is catholic, I am not. That's why he is in charge of the church stuff. And I'm lazy.

We have the venue with right of first refusal, and will likely be putting a deposit down this weekend. Hopefully everything turns out ok. Oh and I work for a huge company and if they screw us over I can easily put  the word out to 20k people.

Acro- Where we are taking pictures (I think) has that town square look of Savannah, if we were there I would totally have a southern beverage with you and your FI and have the boys wonder how it all happened. That's what I meant, course now I am sad I can't crash wedding cake tasting. 
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love how interesting the front is and then the back just WOWs you.    I am excited to see pictures from your dress shopping. 

Good luck with the church.  It depends on the diocese in terms of being Catholic or not.  Often, you need to get permission from the Bishop. 

I want to make up an excuse to get the dress I loved and dye it another color.  Sigh.  No glamorous life though.
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the christening?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you going to be Christened?  I meant for the marriage to take place in the Catholic Church.

My friend google pulled up this:
    http://www.marriagepreparation.com/faq.htm#What_if_one_of_us_is_not_Catholic_or_is_not_a_member_of_the_Christian_tradition
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love the venue...will you be hiring the guy with the lasso as entertainment? Wink
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No I meant you should re-dye it when your child is being baptised.
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No I think the wedding is going to be a lasso free affair.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LMAO.  Sadly, that dress would leave me a tad over-dressed for our child's baptism.  And DH would have a heart attack if I bought ANOTHER fancy dress anytime soon. 

• Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ahem-look-meeeeee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fa50e9be-2190-44ba-a38d-48f835c76830Post:520a7c57-35c9-49e1-aa5d-89dfb73984eb">Re: Ahem-- Look at MEEEEEE!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hetshup, I think you could still do lace! What about this one: <a href="http://weddings.theknot.com/Dresses/52693/detailview.aspx?id=52693&type=31&TM=31%26Dresses+Gown+Type%3dwedding+gowns" rel="nofollow">http://weddings.theknot.com/Dresses/52693/detailview.aspx?id=52693&type=31&TM=31%26Dresses+Gown+Type%3dwedding+gowns</a>
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I dunno desert, I don't think the girls are quite that cooperative. I will have to have a conversation with them to tell them to buck up. But in all seriousness, I love those Jim hjelm dresses, I'm sure I will try one on just in case. Oh and I started to get food proposals back and they are hilarious and delicious at the same time.</div>
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww man that sucks about the natural history museum.  At least your back-up venue looks AWESOME!   The pictures look beautiful.  I really love it.

And I can't wait to see dress pics of you!  Did you say earlier that you were going shopping this weekend? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and good luck with the church thing.  I know FBIL got married in a church even though he has no religion (his wife is Catholic).  But like someone said, maybe it depends on the individual church.  It shouldn't though.  We Catholics take our rules very seriously.  They'll probably just make you guys promise to raise your children Catholic if you have any.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ahem-look-meeeeee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fa50e9be-2190-44ba-a38d-48f835c76830Post:a5c5c39d-8c00-4b70-ac17-56f1a9b8e2d1">Re: Ahem-- Look at MEEEEEE!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ahem-- Look at MEEEEEE! : I dunno desert, I don't think the girls are quite that cooperative. I will have to have a conversation with them to tell them to buck up. But in all seriousness, I love those Jim hjelm dresses, I'm sure I will try one on just in case. Oh and I started to get food proposals back and they are hilarious and delicious at the same time.
    Posted by hetshup[/QUOTE]

You should try lots different things! Jim Hjelm was out of my budget,  and I didn't want to try anything I couldn't afford.

But I have serious dress envy for those who had more than $1,000 in their budget, so take lots of pics and come get our opinions, pretty please! I love vicarious dress shopping! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Desert - what price range are Jim Hjelm dresses in?   I really like them too.  Not that I'm going shopping for a long time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depending on the style, anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000. The particular one I posted I believe runs about $3k. SUCH gorgeous dresses.

(Edit: You can probably find them used for much much less on ebay or similar. Amsale is another line that I absolutely LOVE.)

• Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The one that I really want is 3600, which is WAY out of budget, but the wedding planner lady says that we should still go to the high end places b\c if it's a 2009 we might be able to get a massive discount. I like discounts and will take whatever I can get. I think that I watch say yes to the dress too much, because I have the whole "how am I going to buy anything for less then 12k?! I'm going to have to wear a toilet paper dress"

I lurve this one

I won't be dress shopping for a few weeks yet.
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I don't have a budget yet but I think $5000 will be WAY over it :(

Damn it hetshup get shopping I want to see pics.  I really like that one you just posted above.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay! I love your venue! I am Catholic and FI is not. I called the priest from the church I grew up in (I almost never go anymore but my mom and gradparents go every week) and asked what would be involved in marrying my FI since he's not Catholic. He replied, "oh don't worry about that, I will marry you." FI is baptised Methodist so we just have to produce his baptism cert. and go to Cana class. It seems pretty easy around here. Good luck! I think most Catholic diocese will have no problem marrying you.

Oh, and I can't wait to see dress pictures! I'm going this week too, so exctied/nervous!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you fall in love with a dress that is out of your price range, you could possibly get your hands on a sample.  I was in love, love when I tried on my dress.  However, I could not justify spending over $3000, plus alterations.  This led me to try to get someone to make it.  When that turned out horribly, I was able to find the original dress as a sample from a store on e-bay (after calling all of the local stores.)  I ended up getting my dream dress for $750.  Part of this plan involves being close to sample size.  I did have to get it taken in a bit, and cleaned.

Also try oncewed.com and preownedweddingdresses.com   :)   A lot of women who buy the high end dresses do so with the intention of selling them after the wedding.
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh snap Mutley!! I am def going to try that! Am I a horrible person for trying on the dresses in a high end store and then just ordering it? I figure they mark them way the hell up anyway. So that will be my solace. 

KD-- That's good news, the issue is I have NEVER been baptized. Dad is catholic and Mom is Lutheran, so they never decided. Hopefully that won't be an issue. 

Edited to add: My dad is hilarious today, he somehow came up with $26/per person for food= 44k. Oh dad, you math skills are amazing. Yes that was with a calculator. 
  • Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    A lasso-free wedding? In San Antonio? Shoot, why bother? :)

LOVE the venue! It looks awesome! Aren't you the same girl that was all freaked out a couple of weeks ago about how she could POSSIBLY be organized enough to plan a wedding? And now look at you! Serious progress in a very short period of time! Nice work!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Luuuurve the second dress, hetshup. I wish you (and Ana and KD and...everyone else!) best of luck finding your dream dress within budget without hassle!

Also, I demand pictures. I really enjoyed dress shopping, and look forward to doing it again and again vicariously. :)

• Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ahem-look-meeeeee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fa50e9be-2190-44ba-a38d-48f835c76830Post:023a4a9a-d1eb-4464-9185-585bdb9e0e70">Re: Ahem-- Look at MEEEEEE!</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lasso-free wedding? In San Antonio? Shoot, why bother? :) LOVE the venue! It looks awesome! Aren't you the same girl that was all freaked out a couple of weeks ago about how she could POSSIBLY be organized enough to plan a wedding? And now look at you! Serious progress in a very short period of time! Nice work!!
    Posted by paintgirl[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>His name is Will and he keeps me in check. Plus I write down EVERYTHING. I'm still not very organized, but I am trying to be anal. Which for me just means I figure out where my shoes are. </div>
  • Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

LOL let me introduce you to the spreadsheet. Just any ol' spreadsheet will do. They are fabulously awesome at organizing anything - anything at all. My spice cupboard, grocery list, party supply list, personal budget, annual Goodwill donations, even clothing when I'm doing a wardrobe refresh - all in spreadsheets. I've never met an online tool specifically designed for a particular use that I liked better than a good old generic spreadsheet.

I am a total dork.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards