Not Engaged Yet
Options

WR help please.

I'm heading to the zoo in about 2 hours with my parents to talk over the contract and see the spaces before reserving our date. Are there any questions I should be asking, anything you wish you would have known before signing a contract? I'd appreciate any advise!

TIA! :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WR help please.

• Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Cancellation policies?  I know, I know, we don't REALLY want to ask about them, but just in case the budget falls through or something crazy happens.

And make sure it's in writing what the zoo is providing (ya know, if they say there will be 20 tables, there should be 20 tables.)

And...hmm, if you can see any animals/exhibits, I'd want that in there too.  So you don't plan on that and then it not be available.

Also, when you're able to come in and set up beforehand.  I know a lot of brides that have been caught off guard thinking they could decorate the day before but there was a wedding that day (my friends have issues with contracts, apparently.)

Good luck!  A zoo sounds super fun :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If they have a minimum, how they do alcohol (consumption or flat rate pp), obviously how much pp, buffet vs sit down, what kind of decorations you are allowed to have, if you get a wedding planner to help
    5/27/12
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ask about the policy on vendors, only use their approved vendors or what not.  Can you bring ones you want.  What is allowed in decorations within the property.  Ask about their time table when do you have clear out by.  Also ask about the deposit and would you have to have a separate security deposit.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! I had a few of these but not all... Very helpful!

SQUEEEE this is exciting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fbb93008-4ee4-491f-98be-8fb7afe50b7ePost:ea5b42ab-4678-44aa-b37f-0d4c489e407d">Re: WR help please.</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's included in the rental fee?  (Chairs, tables, linens, etc.)  If they do the catering - are there per person minimum or maximums, or is it just a monetary value?  (At my venue, adults under 21 do NOT count towards the minimum, and ours is a minimum number of persons, not money.)   If they don't do catering - who can cater?  If you use someone who isn't a "preferred vendor" is that a problem? Time restrictions of the rental?  (Can it go as late as you want, or do you have to be out and cleaned up by a certain time?) <strong>Bridal suite that locks on the premises for your personal belongings and large gifts, or for kiddies to crash in?  (Mine has one, but will not work for children, so we're not having kids.)</strong>
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Ooo... Good one!
  • Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    This was my list when I went: 

Does the price include tax & gratuity?
    Is the cake included?
    How many weddings do you do each day?
    Do you have a bridal suite?
    Is there an additional fee to have the ceremony on-site?
    Do you offer a (food) tasting?
    How much is the deposit to hold our date?

• Options
    tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    This is an odd one, but what guests' bathroom options are. Several of the venues we considered required that we rent porta potties and that totally did not work for me. I guess VA law is that you need one stall per 75 people? Something like that. I'm happy to report our venue has 10 stalls! (~150 guests) ha Weird detail, but your guests will appreciate it.

ETA I worded that weird.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies! I would have never thought about some of these!
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd also ask if they are going to allow you an unlimited amount of parking spaces. They should...but you never know.

What is their noise policy? How loud/late can you play music?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    polkadot111polkadot111 member
    edited December 2011
    Ask if you get table cloths and other extras with the rental fee. Some places will give that to you.

Also some places have CRAZY expensive cake cutting fees. Ask about that too.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fbb93008-4ee4-491f-98be-8fb7afe50b7ePost:f2cf8c6d-2feb-4c4d-93d4-0a7277114e63">Re: WR help please.</a>:
    [QUOTE]So your FI isn't going with you to look at the venue? Are you concerned with securing a date before he's seen it?  Other than that, I agree with everyone else's questions.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

No he can't make it. The event people are only there until 4pm and he can't get an afternoon off for 3 weeks.

He has given me to go ahead to book it without him there. We've looked at pics of the venue set up for a wedding and since it is the Zoo we have been there several times and he knows the space well. We are also going to find a time to go together before a wedding to see it setup in person, but he is confident I'll pick something nice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alright ladies, I'm out! I'll come back and AW all about it and hopefully have some pics to share :) Thanks so much for all of your help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My venue doesn't allow Outside Catering, which means I'll be paying $12 per head for appetizer-type foods (cheese dip, mini sandwiches, fruit tray). Sucks, but there's no telling how expensive a buffet would be. :\

But, at least they put that in the contract. FI and I were hoping for BBQ. So, whatever you have in mind for catering, ask! :)
  • Options
    wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

A zoo wedding sounds amazing! I look forward to hearing updates =)

• Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wr-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:fbb93008-4ee4-491f-98be-8fb7afe50b7ePost:665bf7a4-26ee-4c7a-8313-f66c35fd9304">Re: WR help please.</a>:
    [QUOTE]A zoo wedding sounds amazing! I look forward to hearing updates =)
    Posted by wink0erin[/QUOTE]

Yeah....Did I miss the update on this?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards