Chit Chat
Options

XP Weekend getaway

Hello ladies

I am trying to plan a weekend getaway in Nov for our 3 year anniversary and want to go to Chicago! Neither of us have every been. Any suggestions of where to stay in the (somewhat) downtown area that doesnt cost a fortune? Also, suggestions on what to do while we are there? I know most of you dont live in the Chitown area, but I know a lot of people like to visit there. So please feel free to share if you have anything for me :)

Thanks
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP Weekend getaway

• Options
    i have no idea where you're staying at while you're there and I'm not too familiar with the location as we also only went for a weekend (it was for my friends 21st, like 4 years ago), but I would recommend Mellow Yellow (http://www.mellowyellowrestaurant.com/). Again, we went 4 years ago, but I remember when we ate at that place, everyone LOVED it and I swear, I still remember having chili cheese fries there, that were to die for.

One thing we really wanted to do, but couldn't was to go Kayak the river and do a Ghost Tour.
    I've also heard the museums there are really awesome, but again, we didn't have time to go visit them, plus the one that was near by, was under construction.

When we stayed, we stayed in the International Students building at the University of Chicago (I believe that's the right place). It wasn't fancy, but was still nice (only downer is common bathrooms, like in dorms, because that's basically what the building was used for during the semesters).

Oh! We also went to the huge mall in Chicago, and I had to drag DH out of the awesome Lego store that was there :o)

Have fun! :o)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_xp-weekend-getaway?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:0435e5e7-8edd-4389-b5c8-ef5cc4351365Post:8817e0fd-888c-48dc-aad9-223cac0df968">Re: XP Weekend getaway</a>:
    [QUOTE]i have no idea where you're staying at while you're there and I'm not too familiar with the location as we also only went for a weekend (it was for my friends 21st, like 4 years ago), but I would recommend Mellow Yellow ( <a href="http://www.mellowyellowrestaurant.com/)." rel="nofollow">http://www.mellowyellowrestaurant.com/).</a> Again, we went 4 years ago, but I remember when we ate at that place, everyone LOVED it and I swear, I still remember having chili cheese fries there, that were to die for. One thing we really wanted to do, but couldn't was to go Kayak the river and do a Ghost Tour. I've also heard the museums there are really awesome, but again, we didn't have time to go visit them, plus the one that was near by, was under construction. When we stayed, we stayed in the International Students building at the University of Chicago (I believe that's the right place). It wasn't fancy, but was still nice (only downer is common bathrooms, like in dorms, because that's basically what the building was used for during the semesters). Oh! We also went to the huge mall in Chicago, and I had to drag DH out of the awesome Lego store that was there :o) Have fun! :o)
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

We havent decided where to stay yet. I would like to find a hotel close to downtown for $150 or less but I dont know if that's gonna happen.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would suggest posting this on the local board for Chicago (which maybe you've already done since this is an XP).

I went to Chicago when I was in HS but we went up the Sears town (since renamed but I don't know the new name) which was cool and went out for deep dish pizza. Other then that I don't have any suggestions.
    Anniversary
  • Options

My sister's bach party was there in April and we stayed at Hotel 71, which is a boutique hotel on the river near downtown. We went shopping on Michigan Ave and clubbing that night, which was a lot of fun. Sunday I pretty much had the afternoon to myself due to an evening flight and went to Millenium Park and walked around. If I would have gotten an earlier jump on the day (hello, hangover!), I would have tried to go to Navy Pier and a few museums. I agree that you'll probably get some good advice on the local Chicago board.
    We ate at:
    Rockit Bar and Grill (amazing burgers and truffle fries)
    Giordano's (deep dish, yum)-location just off Michigan Ave
    Sable Kitchen and Bar (breakfast/brunch-delish)

• Options
    I went there once for a weekend.  It was great and I really want to go back and spend more time.  I would take a boat tour on the river that runs through the city.  You should post this on www.tripadvisor.com.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards