Chit Chat
Options

NWR - doggie update

Thanks for your responses on my previous post regarding FI's dog Riley last week.

He was officially diagnosed with lymphoma and we have made the decision not to do chemo.  FI, his daughter, and I weighed out all the pros and cons and came to the conclusion that as a 10 1/2 year old dog he has had an awesome life and as long as he is feeling and acting well we will shower him with love as long as we can.  The chemo would only give him maybe a year, including the 6 months of chemo.  Not to say a year isn't something we would love, we just feel his quality of life would not be as it should.

You wouldn't know he's sick.  But they do say that he could have a rapid decline in 1-2 months.  He's such a nutjob dog my guess is he'll stick around for awhile just to prove he's tough!  I hope that's the case.  We just want to make sure he doesn't suffer.  

Lastly, I wanted to share a fabulous picture that FI's daughter took this week.  Yes, he's a boy in a pink hat!  LOL

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR - doggie update

• Options
    Awww, he's a cutie.  Sorry about the diagnosis.  That's really hard.  
  • Options
    The pic is adorable! I'm sorry you had to make such a tough choice. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    He's adorable! How lucky he is to have such a loving family. Has he had a good life with you?

Anniversary

• Options
    Really sorry about your dog. :( FWIW I think you're making the right choice in not treating him. My family lost a dog to lymphoma when he was 8 years old. They told us he'd get a year with treatment, but he only got 6 months anyway since at that point his quality of life had degraded so much my parents decided enough was enough.
     Visit The Knot!                                           image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear about your dog.  My mothers dog that I grew up with was diagnosed with kidney cancer  and she too decided not to do treatment and they gave Mocha 3-6 months to live.  That was 2 and a half years ago and Mocha is just as healthy as ever.  Even the vet can not believe that she looks as good as she does.  They still say that she has cancer but she is acting younger now than she did a few years ago.  So fingers crossed your dog will end up the same as Mocha!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-doggie-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:0d536405-5a49-4290-a6b9-7eb8dc9d829ePost:b68dae6a-77af-4d21-9cf7-0a045e1cdd18">NWR - doggie update</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your responses on my previous post regarding FI's dog Riley last week. He was officially diagnosed with lymphoma and we have made the decision not to do chemo.  FI, his daughter, and I weighed out all the pros and cons and came to the conclusion that as a 10 1/2 year old dog he has had an awesome life and as long as he is feeling and acting well we will shower him with love as long as we can.  The chemo would only give him maybe a year, including the 6 months of chemo.  Not to say a year isn't something we would lovo e, we just feel his quality of life would not be as it should. You wouldn't know he's sick.  But they do say that he could have a rapid decline in 1-2 months.  He's such a nutjob dog my guess is he'll stick around for awhile just to prove he's tough!  I hope that's the case.  We just want to make sure he doesn't suffer.   Lastly, I wanted to share a fabulous picture that FI's daughter took this week.  Yes, he's a boy in a pink hat!  LOL
    Posted by GinaV0822[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-doggie-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:0d536405-5a49-4290-a6b9-7eb8dc9d829ePost:b9988f08-cb78-4615-bddd-2e74da67748c">Re: NWR - doggie update</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am sorry to hear about your dog.  My mothers dog that I grew up with was diagnosed with kidney cancer  and she too decided not to do treatment and they gave Mocha 3-6 months to live.  That was 2 and a half years ago and Mocha is just as healthy as ever.  Even the vet can not believe that she looks as good as she does.  They still say that she has cancer but she is acting younger now than she did a few years ago.  So fingers crossed your dog will end up the same as Mocha! In Response to NWR - doggie update :
    Posted by ncharleyrose[/QUOTE]

<div>That's very reassuring!  I sure hope Riley follows that path!  I know each and every pet is different and all they can do is give you an average.  We just hope he can defy the odds!</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks so much for everyone's words of encouragement!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards