Chit Chat
Options

Your Opinion.

2»

Re: Your Opinion.

• Options
    Thank you all for your advice and trying to help me out. :)
    Lindsey D. marrying love of my life 7.8.2013. Baby #1 on the way mid-October! (:
  • Options
    OP, while I do feel like you are very young and a longer engagement would suit you both well.  I also know (and from reading stories above) that you will have to figure that out on your own.  Two other posters gave you excellent advice from their own experiences but the thing is...you'll have to experience that for yourself to make your decision. 

I know plenty of people who were married young (my parents included...they were married at 21 and have been together for 28 years now).  I also know plenty of people at all ages who have broken off engagements or have already been divorced.  Every situation is different and I do wish you two the best.  I would never come on here and hope for anything bad for anybody.

I do hope that you take everyone's advice into consideration.  I do not want to be rude or condescending to you.  But I know myself and I know myself when I was 19....I was stubborn and hard-headed (still am lol).  I would not listen to anything anybody told me.
    So, even though some posts on here are a little harsh....a lot of post are full of great advice.  Please take it into consideration.  There is no rush.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_your-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:0ef63b7f-ba25-40f0-87bb-6fd42572a644Post:775292b8-baf2-4c00-9043-30992e9806e5">Re: Your Opinion.</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP, while I do feel like you are very young and a longer engagement would suit you both well.  I also know (and from reading stories above) that you will have to figure that out on your own.  Two other posters gave you excellent advice from their own experiences but the thing is...you'll have to experience that for yourself to make your decision.  I know plenty of people who were married young (my parents included...they were married at 21 and have been together for 28 years now).  I also know plenty of people at all ages who have broken off engagements or have already been divorced.  Every situation is different and I do wish you two the best.  I would never come on here and hope for anything bad for anybody. I do hope that you take everyone's advice into consideration.  I do not want to be rude or condescending to you.  But I know myself and I know myself when I was 19....I was stubborn and hard-headed (still am lol).  I would not listen to anything anybody told me. So, even though some posts on here are a little harsh....a lot of post are full of great advice.  Please take it into consideration.  There is no rush.  
    Posted by shannyb41[/QUOTE]Thanks very much. :) You're right everyone has different situations in their life. And my parents were the same, my mother was 19 when she got married and my dad was 21. Same with my grandparents, my grandma was 18 and grandpa was three years older. I hope and pray that my FI and I (being together already all through HS & have never broken up once) grow together and we are like my parents who are still together after 23 years and got married young like we are going to or like my grandparents who have been together for around 50 years and got married young.<div>
    </div><div>I honestly think that everyone's life is different. And everyone has their own opinions.</div><div>All I can do being a christian is put my life in God's hands and go from there. :) Yes they had great advice and I know that their relationships didn't end well, but I feel that mine will. And if it doesn't I will come back on here and say that they were all right, :)</div><div>But until then. I am excited to marry the love of my life on April 12, 2014. </div><div>Thanks very much! 

</div>
    Lindsey D. marrying love of my life 7.8.2013. Baby #1 on the way mid-October! (:
  • Options
    I think the best way to trust your FI while still making sure you will get your needs met, is to examine your needs, (e.g. "I want to make sure you're paying enough attention to me on our wedding day," or "It's hard for me to feel supported when you're not aware of details the way I am") and talk honestly with your FI about them. Ask what he's excited about and what you can do to include him in planning and help him share your excitement. Also ask what his worries are and if there's any reason he might be downplaying his own role in the wedding planning.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • Options
    I got married too young and I was 23. That's not to say that anyone 23 or under is too young; it's to say that I didn't have the information I needed.

I know I keep plugging these books, but after searching for years for good books to prepare emotionally and mentally for a wedding, The Conscious Bride and The Conscious Bride's Wedding Planner are the only ones I've found that have the info I wish I'd known before I got married the first time.

I also recommend Passionate Marriage by David Schnarch for a good understanding of how the difficult times in marriage can be used as sources of growth.

I won't say that 19 or 21 or 23 is too young to get married, but I do think that being young makes it extra important to do your homework and read these books before you get married.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_your-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:0ef63b7f-ba25-40f0-87bb-6fd42572a644Post:7ca9e747-0327-4b7f-b83c-3b948d0d4776">Re: Your Opinion.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got married too young and I was 23. That's not to say that anyone 23 or under is too young; it's to say that I didn't have the information I needed. I know I keep plugging these books, but after searching for years for good books to prepare emotionally and mentally for a wedding, The Conscious Bride and The Conscious Bride's Wedding Planner are the only ones I've found that have the info I wish I'd known before I got married the first time. I also recommend Passionate Marriage by David Schnarch for a good understanding of how the difficult times in marriage can be used as sources of growth. I won't say that 19 or 21 or 23 is too young to get married, but I do think that being young makes it extra important to do your homework and read these books before you get married.
    Posted by pesematology[/QUOTE]Thanks so much! And I am defidently going to look into those books. And yes, I agree. I do need to do lots of homework in order to have a successful marriage at a young age. :) Will do. thanks for the advice. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards