Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Communion Song Suggestion

Hi all! I got married last month, and adapted some music for the "congregation" to sing during communion. Our ceremony took place in a (reconciling) Methodist church, and we knew that we'd have assorted Protestants, agnostics, Catholics, atheists, Jews, and even a Muslim in attendance. I wanted the tune to be easy for folks to pick up and sing whether they were moving around, or staying in their seats. I looked around online, and couldn't find anything that really suited that whole scenario...so I adapted a hymn, and added my own lyrics, to a melody everyone knew. Feel free to use this if you are looking for an inclusive alternative hymn for your ceremony!

“Blest Be The Dear Uniting Love” (sung to the tune of “Amazing Grace”)

v. 1 lyrics by Charles Wesley

v. 2-4 lyrics by Liz Shickles

Blest be the dear uniting love

that will not let us part;

our bodies may far off remove,

we still are one in heart.

At God’s own table gather now,

A feast: all may partake!

His bread: our promise, sacred vow,

A bond no soul can break.

The cup, which Death could not defeat:

Each vessel over flows,

And poureth out, with stillness sweet,

Grace which no limit knows.

And ‘tis the dear uniting love,

Joins spirit, mind, and heart,

For those on earth, and those above;

Not life, nor death, shall part.

Re: Communion Song Suggestion

• Options
    I love the history of hymns. I was fascinated to learn that a lot of church music was written by an atheist. Most Christian hymnals contain a few hymns by Unitarians/deists and Jews. Most Catholic hymnals contain a whole bunch of Protestant hymns. A lot of hymn tunes have completely secular origins in drinking songs, show tunes (or the historical equivalent), and military music.

Growing up, we celebrated Reformation Day. We always sang "Faith of our Fathers," but not the second verse. That one begins, "Faith of our fathers! Mary's prayers..."

I remember being scolded by a Roman Catholic friend for signing a Catholic hymn when I was a "Protestant." Well, the hymn was by an Anglican Bishop, and the tune was by that atheist.

I've looked into the history of the "Amazing Grace" tune in particular. I thought the movie was anachronistic to have that tune with those words. I didn't think the tune reached England until after Newton and Wilberforce died, certainly not so prevalently that it'd be in the song books of a small country church and/or the congregation would know it by heart. After my research, I wasn't sure if I was right or the movie was right.
  • Options
    I didn't have a point. I'm rather glad people are still trying to write hymns, though.

What do you consider bastardization? George Whitefield made changes to "Hark the Herald" that de-emphasized its Arminianism. "Crown Him With Many Crowns" is usually printed as a fusion of the work of three people who were contemporaries but likely never met each other. Leaving out the one verse of "Faith of our Fathers" and singing it in the context we did changes the sentiment Faber put into it.

Vaugh Williams, the atheist I mentioned, wrote for churches, so it wouldn't be fair for him to be bitter about how his music was used. But we don't know the origins of the tune "Amazing Grace."

My church's hymnal changes one note of "Adoro Devote" to make it fit modern music and its circle of fifths. The translation is better than the last Roman Catholic translation I read, though.

Isaac Watts would hate the idea of "Joy to the World" being associated with the "popish" holiday of Christmas. He'd probably hate the idea of it being set to Haydn's music, too. I don't know how Haydn would feel.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I would just pick a song that you think is reasonably common and go for it.  The likelihood that all the guests there (Protestants, agnostics, Catholics, atheists, Jews, Muslim) will know the tune is low.  Also people may know it but choose not to sing.  Lots of people don't participate in singing at weddings.  Pick a song that you like that means something to you and your H and make sure that the pianist keeps on trucking through the whole piece.

I think trying to mishmash things may cause more confusion than it's worth.  Just pick something you like that isn't too challenging, and be sure to provide both lyrics and music for it.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize your wedding happened already. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards