Chit Chat
Options

Please help me come up with romantic ideas to propose?

OK ladies! I need your help please. I am without a doubt the most unromantic, nonplanning guy in the world - I just can't help it no matter how hard I try. My lovely girlfriend on the other hand, is a hopeless romantic, wedding dreaming, loves love kind of lady. She always seems to plan ahead, and I don't (to be honest, I think I've only surprised her once).Now I want to propose to her soon but I want to add some surprise and romance in the mix. Why? Cause she already knows it's coming (we went ring shopping together, I let her pick out her dream ring) and cause I blurted out that I wanted to do it Labor Day Weekend on our vacation at our favorite log cabin. She's always dreamed of a proposal story that she can be proud of and tell people about, so I want to give that to her, she deserves that. Will you please help me by giving me some romantic ideas to surprise her with?  She's on this site (but not the forums yet) so can you please email me the ideas at helphimpropose@gmail.com so that she won't see them please? I'd really appreciate all the help possible.Some background info about us and the weekend:She loves chocolates, peonies, candles (she has loads of them), horses, all animals, aquariums, tea, all things green (the color), breakfast, swimming, romance movies (I've been meaning to take her to see The Time Traveler's Wife as it is her all time favorite book), driving, site seeing, our puppy (we just got a Schnauzer that is her baby), reading, exploring new places, photography (she's always taking a thousand pictures), music (especially acoustic songs), art (she's a painter), she absolutely loves baths and bath products, loves amusement parks, nailpolish (she's addicted to collecting colors and painting her nails), vampires, cooking, flowers in general, and she's an internet addict.Now, we're moving into our new apartment this weekend, painting all weekend (if that could be worked into it somehow?) and going on vacation Labor day weekend to our favorite log cabin in the Shenandoah Valley. We've been there before and it's always really romantic (fireplace, hot tub, jacuzzi bath for two, amazing view), she mentioned it would be a perfect place to get engaged so I was hoping to do it there, though it will be hard. It's in the middle of nowhere (an hour to the "local" Walmart), on dirt roads and far from any civilization so we'll most likely stay there all weekend and relax. I can get her out for a few hours by dropping her off at the spa for whatever she wants to do there if I need to prepare things (flowers, canles, etc). So if I do propose there, I need to plan it in advance (HELP!!). Also, we'll be driving up for two hours with our puppy so any planning items would need to be able to be hidden in the car ride. We'll be there for five days, maybe some tourist stuff thrown in.Do you have any ideas? PLEASE? I'd totally appreciate any help. Please share some romantic ways to propose that I can't think of. If you want to know more, or anything else, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you so much,Tom

Re: Please help me come up with romantic ideas to propose?

• Options
    Hi Tom, This board is really for small issues and commenting/venting on wedding details. You want to post your message on the board called "PROPOSALS." There you will see MANY different ways that others have proposed, and those girls will know exactly how to advise you. So go up to the top of this page, and you'll see a drop down menu of all the boards. Scroll down to the category called SPECIAL TOPIC BOARDS, and in that list, you'll see PROPOSALS.
  • Options
    Oh sorry about that. I posted there. Thanks!
  • Options
    Awww... that is so cute. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Personally, I think simple is best, especially since your vacation is going to be about relaxation.  She's already expecting it, so it will be hard to do an over-the-top proposal anyway.  Perhaps focus on something intimate and meaningful.The best present I ever gave someone was on V-day for my ex.  (this is going to be really cheesy, so bear with me).  I put together a binder of 100 reasons why I love you.  Each page had a reason, a famous quote about love, and a picture.  Since she is so into photography, maybe do something along those lines w/ some of your favorite photos of yours/hers.  It would be easy to carry in a backpack on a hike/picnic. 
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You can post on any board you want.  Most of us read several boards.My advice is to sit down and write out exactly why you want to marry her.  You love her obviously, but what is it about her that made you fall head over heels?  Make a list of those things.  When the time is right, read it to her.  Then tell her that your life wouldn't be complete without her and ask her to marry you.Or you can surprise her and do it this weekend.
  • Options
    Yes throw her off, she will think that you will be doing it on your vacation but do it somewhere else that she likes like her favorite place. It doesn't have to be over the top. Does she have a favorite resturant take her there, Let them know ahead that you will be proposing to her, Act like nothing and then have the waiter bring out a nice bottle of wine and a little boquet of her fav flowers. Eat dinner then pull out the ring, get down on your knee and propose to her in the crowded resturant. We all like that attention.
  • Options
    I'm late to this, but my fiance also proposed while on vacation--in a little bed and breakfast on a lake.  I kind of expected it to happen that weekend, but he did it at 8:00 in the morning, right after we got up, out on the private deck. He also got it on film.  He's a huge photography buff, so him setting up the tripod on the deck wasn't weird to me, and he told me stand somewhere and look over the lake so he could get the camera right for some pictures of us.  He managed to set the timer just right so it caught him down and one knee and me with the most shocked expression in the world.  I'd say if you could pull off something with it being on camera or on film, it would be awesome.  Everyone loves our engagement picture.
  • Options
    First of all, congrats/good luck! Second, IMO, a surprise is better than something she's expecting. If she's expecting you to do it Labor Day weekend, either do it this weekend or right before you go on Labor Day weekend, and you'll completely catch her by surprise. My fiance hid the ring in the groceries and I found it as we were unpacking - not the most romantic proposal, but it definitely caught me off guard, which I loved! Candles, flowers/flower petals, and a chilled bottle of champagne are always good to have on hand if you're going to propose at home AND if she's into romance. I hope the great ladies around here have given you some ideas!
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    How sweet...i am soo impressed with you to have the courage to come onto this site and ask for help!I agree do it before she thinks you are going to do it and totally surprise her!!And make sure she comes on here and tells us about it!!Good Luck
  • Options
    so, i'm a little late, but while i was making my breakfast, your question came back to me. first of all, after you propose tell her you came on here cause this is so sweet! i'm sure she would love to read all the lovely things you said about her. since you're going to be painting your house together, why don't you "forget" something that you need at home depot or lowes and send her out to get it. while she's gone, paint your proposal on the wall (gf, will you marry me?, or with a favorite quote or something). set it up so when she comes in the house, the first thing she sees is the paint, and the next thing she sees is you down on one knee. it'll surprise her since it's not on your vacation, but its still romantic and intimate, especially since it's in the house that you two will be living in together.
    trying times are not the times to stop trying. image

• Options
    Since she already expects it, i think you should wait until the last day to propose. My fiance' did this to me. He told me a week in advance about taking me on a date (which he never plans in advance)-so it gave me a hunch. Then he took me to this fancy restaurant and led me on that we were done for the night. He had me close my eyes while he drove to the place that we 1st met. Eyes still closed-i got out of the car while he shared his heart with me. I couldn't open them until he told me to and when i opened my eyes, he was on his knee.It was a bigger surprise because i was expecting it that night and i really thought he wasn't going to ask me.Ya'll could have a great time on your vacation and the morning you leave-get up early and decorate your cabin.A few candles, music (if poss), and since you need something you can pack, go to a craft store and buy some fake rose petals. They come in a plastic box but you can always throw them in a plastic baggie and wrap them in your clothes.Wake her up and tell her to close her eyes while you lead her to the main area of the cabin. Share your heart with her and have her 1st glance of that day be you asking for her hand. Romantic and Simple :)Good Luck-Keep us posted!!!  
  • Options
    mrlpmrlp member
    First Comment
    I love the idea about painting the proposal on the wall!! My suggestion, since she is expecting you to do it while your on your vacation Labor Day weekend, would be to figure out a time to do it before you go.  Your weekend will still be romantic, and then you can celebrate your engagement.GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Options
    My fiance proposed the day we moved into our first house together. We had everyone helping us move and after we'd gotten the last thing in the house, and with the help of my dad (who is a magician) did a magic trick to propose. It was great timing because all his nerves were masked by the commotion of moving in and getting things together. So even if she's expecting it- it will still feel like a surprise. Keep it simple, and at a most honest moment. I always thought the most romantic time to propose is when you are just doing everyday things, or things you would be doing anyway- because that's what you sign up for in marriage, it isn't a big romantic dinner everyday, it's the little stuff. Good luck!
  • Options
    Love the idea of painting the proposal on the wall while she's on the errand this weekend! And if you can get a video camera set up somewhere to get her expressions (maybe a friend who is helping you move can help) and then you on your knee with the proposal in the background, that would be a great too. My FI & I also shopped together for my engagement ring. As your gf is under the impression that the Labor Day vacation will be the time & place, I also was under the impression that FI wouldn't propose until after Christmas because he led me to believe it wouldn't be in before then. So I'm thinking New Years' Eve or something. He's not the most romantic guy, and certainly not a planner. But he managed to pull off the surprise just five days after purchasing the ring. And he did it in a very simple setting - dropping to a knee in my parents' kitchen as I'm trying to get dinner on the table for everyone. Both my parents were there to witness, and although that is not for everyone, it was perfect for us. And this also speaks to the point of doing it while you're doing everyday things. The whole thing was amazing and I was totally and completely shocked...my heart pounding, my stomach with butterflies, and nothing but sheer joy in the moment. Keep your cool and be yourself. You'll be nervous, but she's going to say yes. Enjoy the moment and then revel in it on your vacation next weekend! Good luck!!!
  • Options
    Awesome idea about painting you proposal on the wall while she is running out to go pick up something. That will completly throw her. She is expecting you to propose on your vacation.
  • Options
    I was going to suggest painting it on the wall.  If you can get into the apartment the day before you're scheduled to paint, that would be perfect.  She'd never expect that to be the first thing she sees upon walking into your new place.  Be sure to take a picture of it before you paint over it. 
  • Options
    Love this! My FI and I ring shopped together too, so it wans't a suprise that it was going to happen...but to credit him.... he suprised me WHEN it was going to happen. I might have been a little disapointed at certain times since he held onto it for 2 months.... leading me on if you will but we had planned two small trips both of which I would say "wow what a romantic weekend just the two of us" etc etc etc. It never happened then which kept me on my toes. He waited until mine and our daughters birthday (yeah we share it!) and came in as I was in the shower first thing in the morning getting ready to go out to our traditional birthday breakfast and suprised me. (He actually had our 3 year old little darling ask me) Said since I had made his life "whole" 3 years prior with the birth of our daughter he wanted me to make OUR life whole by marrying him. It was an everyday thing and an extraodinary moment. Which is what marriage is really all about "everyday things with the occational extraordinary moments" However you do it... it will be amazing!
  • Options
    Hi Tom,From what it sounded like, you were painting your apartment, not the cabin, and since you didn't say that you owned the cabin, you might not want to paint the proposal on the wall - though I think it's an adorable idea!How about if instead of painting the proposal on a wall, you paint a quick picture of your girlfriend's dog carrying a ring? It doesn't have to be artistic at all - my fiance can barely draw a stick figure, but he's drawn a card that he gave me at valentine's day, and I love it for all of it's flaws! You could even make it simple - a dog (a circle for a head, two triangles for ears, three circles for eyes and a nose, and two half circles side by side for the mouth) and a ring (and circle with a triangle on top for the diamond) - she'll get the idea!Put that painting up in the first room of the cabin, then have her actual dog, with the ring tied to him with a ribbon, in the second room. When she goes into the next room to look at the dog, follow her and get down on one knee, so when she turns around she'll see you ready to propose!I also think it's great to put some thought into the actual proposal, like someone said - think of ten things you love about her, or ten reasons why you couldn't live without her, or something!Good luck - I know she'll love whatever you do!
  • Options
    Since your vacationing at a log cabin....Dress as Abe Lincoln! Or give her the ring on top of a pile of pancakes with log cabin syrup on the side.....I don't know...I'm just rambling. Hubby gave me my ring at Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland and we got married at Knott's berry Farm.
  • Options
    This is my idea.  Draw her a nice warm bubble bath.  Have tons of candles in their too and soft music.  Get her a bouquet of her favorite flowers and when she's soaking and relaxing, take her in the flowers with the ring intermingled.  I think it's cute, but i'm only a so-so romantic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards