Chit Chat
Options

My mother said what??!!!!

Ok so I am divorced.  So what.  I was not looking when I meet the most amazing man who asked me to marry him.  We have been engaged for over a year now.  I told my mother I was getting married.  She knew that.  She has been married 3 times!  Now I'm on the phone with her and I'm telling her about picking up my dress next week and she says "It's not white ist it?"  i mean what the heck!!!!!!

Re: My mother said what??!!!!

• Options
    Thats the way to think. Take some pics of you in this dress has I know that Provinas makes some beatuiful gowns. I haven't gone to try on anything yet but will do that first week in Oct with my daughter and friend.
  • Options
    Heh, and my mom won't let me not wear white. Moms blow.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Flower Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Planning Bio 6.15.10
  • Options
    and my mom won't let me not wear white.Your mom still dresses you?
  • Options
    It's Ivory anyhow because I liked that color better.So just tell her it's not white! LOL It's ivory. She'll be happy & you like it better anyway.
  • Options
    I would tell her "Atleast I'm not wearing a black dress." Heehee.. Imagine my mothers face when I told her I was. :)
  • Options
    Wear whatever you want! Im wearing white (ivory) and my 11 year old son is walking me down the aisle. Who cares what people say, its your day!!
  • Options
    Leah- No, she just freaked out when I said I wanted a hot pink dress. Since the actual wedding is more for my family than my FI or I (who would be more than happy to just do a court house ceremony), I said I would wear white. It's all good though. I actually ended up liking my *white* wedding dress more than I thought I would.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Flower Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Planning Bio 6.15.10
  • Options
    To be fair up until Queen Victoria women wore brightly coloured dresses in red, Purple or Orange to signify wealth, royalty wore Silver Wedding dresses, then the Queen of England decided to rock the boat and wear white (shock horror gasps!!! just to show her wealth - cleaning techniques were crude back then) and ever since then the bridal industry has been obsessed with White dresses in some form or another (ivory, cream, champagne, off-white - it's all the same!)So first, second or 20th wedding, I don't really see that it matters either way! Wear what you like! GL x
  • Options
    Ok, well I definately feel better now.  Not so alone.  thanks everyone.  Family can be a royal pain .  I am even thinking about packing up my dress and eloping (SP?)  lol  More money for our honeymoon in Spain anyhow!! 
  • Options
    This is my second wedding, my FI first. I'm wearing ivory and possibly a veil (still not sure about that).Wear what you want, it's your day.
  • Options
    NEWSFLASH: The color of your wedding dress signifying your sexual purity is a MYTH.. just an old wives tale. I researched wedding trivia for my bridal shower and learned a few things you might want to share with your dear mother:Queen Victoria started the Western world's white wedding dress trend in 1840 -- before then, brides simply wore their best dress.Also, the white wedding dress became a conspicuous consumption by status-conscious families, because a white dress could be easily damaged and was therefore common only among wealthy families.... obviously a white wedding dress was not practical because it was easily soiled, but certain people were wealthy enough to buy one.Sources: http://texasweddings.com/blog/?p=28http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_wedding
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards