Chit Chat
Options

too young!

Im 21 and getting married in July which at that time I will be 22... And I hear this all the time!  Whenever someone learns that I am getting married and asks my age, their reaction is always the same.Arent you too young to get married?..or you ARE to young to get married... UGH!Its extremely frustrating and I never know what to say back! What would you say?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: too young!

• Options
    "Oh that is sweet of you to say" Pause Pause " So have you tried the bean dip"
  • Options
    ffmaid's answer rocks!  People can say things and act very odd at times.  Best wishes!
  • Options
    Well...if I was 22 again, I'd probably go with the bean dip response. Or say something like, Well, since I can drink, drive, smoke, vote, and serve in our military...I think I'm age appropriate for marriage. (But that would be the smart-a$$ in me.)However, you could always just ask them why they feel that way. It would be interesting to turn it back around and see how they respond.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    I just turned 22yrs old 9.17.09 & my wedding is Nov.7.09. I don't think its too young! I get the same thing & I just ignore them! Usually most of the time they are ignorant people who just want to put you down & rain on your parade.
  • Options
    im more than ready and know what im doing, we even purchased our house in october last year and have been living together.i like the whole were lucky response... i'll have to use that one. thanks!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that people are giving you a hard time. I'm 22, and FI is 25. I haven't heard anything about being too young from my family, but I think that's because I've always been seen as the more "mature" daughter. However, it may also have helped that my younger sister was married at 19, and so now my family thinks 22 is definitely old enough!
  • Options
    tell people to mind their own damn business. Oddly enough, nobody ever said this to me, but I guess that is because they knew us and knew that we were ready to get married.
  • Options
    I will be 21 when we get married and I get the same thing ALL THE TIME. I always just give a great big smile and a polite "No, not really",  the only verbal response i got was "......oh" followed by the "foot in my mouth" face. the rest just quickly change the subject.But i agree it is very frustrating! just don't let them see it bothers you, if you look confident they are the ones who feel uncomfortable for having said it. At least in my experience.  
  • Options
    seriously! the whole rent-a-car cracks me up! My FI is 23 and can drive a fire truck but cant rent a honda civic! I was always curious about that one!And Im glad Im not the only young one! Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    I'm gonna be 19 when I get married. I don't think 22 is too young.
  • Options
    Would you rather be older and single and have people constantly asking you "why aren't you married yet?" or "when are you going to get married??" I will be 27 when I get married and before I got engaged, people drove me nuts. While I wasn't personally ready to be married at 21, that doesn't mean you aren't. Tell people to mind their own business.
  • Options
    I won't even be turning 21 until two months after the ceremony. Age is only a number. I live a much different life then some people I know who are 30. FI is in the army, which is a very different lifestyle.. and we already have a child together. we didnt want to get married simply because of her , so we waited to make sure we were getting married for the right reasons. Our daughter will be almost 2 by the time we get married. Our family is all very supportive and happy but I do agree strangers do sometimes give me dirty looks when they find out im getting married 'so young' I usually just blow them off. like i said age is only a number. :]]
  • Options
    My parents got married when they were 18 and 19.  They're celebrating their 33rd wedding anniversary this year.  I guess if you're ready, you're ready.
  • Options
    > That would be me... I'm 35, and he'll be two weeks short of 40, and neither of us have been married. People give you that raised eyebrow look... "REALLY? You've never been married?? Why NOT??"
  • Options
    For real Sasha, I hated that crap so much. Literally the minute I would meet a person (random people, like even my doctor) would be like "so why aren't you married??" How rude! I guess it's like once you get married then people badger you about having children.
  • Options
    I hear this question all the time too, so I feel your pain.  I try to take a similar approach as a pp.  by saying that were lucky that we have each other.My family recognizes that we are young, but also recognizes our choice. And the engagement came with many of hours with our parents first.  My typical response that the Each person must find their own path in life, and this is the path that we choose together.  End of story. If they love you, they will be there no matter what and will support you - and even if they think its wrong they should present constructive critism and take time to understand why.  if they don't however. they are more likely to blow you off as young and stupid. So, clearly we don't need people like that in our lives.
    My Wedding Bio Updated 4-2-10
    Married August 14th, 2010
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Oh my gosh... I know and I HATE it. I get it all the time and also the comment that I look like I'm 15... I think that its really no ones business and I liked the one post about saying were lucky to find "the one" when were younger. I will be 21 when we get married and my FI will be 22 not too long after we get married.
  • Options
    I am 21 and am getting married 11/7/09. I get it all the time. I just went for my hair trial and the stylist asked how old I was. I said Im 21 , she said oh good because you look like you 16. It will be nice when im older just not now. I have had a lot of people say why are you getting married so young? I just brush it off and simply tell them age doesnt matter. My mother got married at 17 and she is still married 26 years later and my grandmother got married at 15 and she is still married at 39 years later. As long as you know its right then screw them!
  • Options
    I am in the same situation. Will be 22 when married, FI will be 24. I always bring up the fact that most of the generation that is saying that got married young as well. For example - my mother had just turned 21 when they got married. Otherwise the old trick of "According to who?" works too.Good Luck with all the comments, it does get frustrating.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree! I just turned 20, but I will be 21 and my fiance will be 24 when we get married. We bought a house in April so I think it depends on the couple. Everyone is different. I have been told that we are too young, but I say yes we are young, but I have found the cheese to my whine! And my mum always tells my fiance that there is a no return policy :) Congrats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards